Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2020

Using a Harmony Elite Remote with Lifestyle 38 system

I'm trying to use a Harmony Elite remote to control our Lifestyle 38 system. I added it to the devices and the software seemed to recognize the model number but I can not get the remote to talk to the Lifestyle box.  I assumed that the box works with both RF and IR but I do see an IR input on the back of the box. Do I need an IR receiver attached to the box to get the remote to work?  Is there something else I am not doing?  Any help or advice would be great.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Using a Harmony Elite Remote with Lifestyle 38 system

Hi unjennau2018,

Welcome to the community. 

You are correct the Lifestyle 38 can work with both RF and IR controls, so you should be able to use your Harmony remote to control the Lifestyle. The IR port on the back of the console is to attach IR emitters to, these are used when using the Bose remote as a universal remote, so you would not need to use this at this time.

The IR receiver is located below the disc tray behind the plastic panel. I've included a picture to show you where this will be. You will need to make sure your remotes IR emitter has a line of sight to this location. 

avx8_ir_emitters.jpg

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2020

Thank you for that help. Do I need to switch the system to IR input?  The remote I have has no IR emitter so I'm pretty sure it's just RF.  

And just in case you can help me with the sound...I'm using an optical audio cable (only option) to talk to the Bose box. I am only getting PCM 2.0 sound. Not sure why I'm not able to get the Dolby to work and after I hook up tot he Bose system the Dolby option on the TV is no longer able to be selected.

Sorry for the beginner questions we inherited the system with the boat and I desperately want to make get it to work so I don't have to rip everything out:)

Highlighted

Thanks for getting back to me.

You are correct, the remote that comes with the Lifestyle is an RF remote, and you would want to turn on IR control for the system. To do this you would want to follow these steps:

• On the remote control, press the System button.
  • Scroll right to select Remote Control, then press the Enter button.
  • Scroll down to select IR Control, then press the Enter button.
  • Select On from this list. 
  • Press the Exit button to exit the menu.

Congratulations on inheriting the Lifestyle system with your boat, I'm sure you will be able to get it up and running!

The Lifestyle 38 can support PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS as it's audio formats, it is strange that the TV is not letting you select Dolby Digital when it is connected. So I can look into this further with you, what TV do you have? There may be some extra settings that you would need to adjust on the TV.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.