Highlighted
MarcAtkins
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 18, 2019

Using surround speakers at the front of the room?

Hello everyone,

I`ve just bought a Bose sound bar 700, bass unit and 2 surround speakers (all these came sold together). I thought I`d try and increase my surround experience by purchasing an additional 2 surround speakers, with the intention of positioning them at the front of the room, either side of the sound bar.

On closer inspection, it appears that this configuration may not be possible, as the speakers state that they are 'rear' speakers. Does anyone else have experience with the setup similar to what I`m trying to do? Is it possible?  Can I use the speakers at the front or could they be placed elsewhere? Thank you.

Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using surround speakers at the front of the room?

Author Accepted Answer selected by MarcAtkins

Hello MarcAtkins, 

That is no problem at all, I am glad that I could assist you with this matter. 

You will not be able to add any more speakers to your set up as the maximum capacity for the Soundbar 700 is two (of the same) bass modules and a set of surround speakers. When listening to surround audio in your set up your Soundbar 700 will work as front speakers for your setup. 

You will not be able to use these extra surround speakers unless they are connected to another compatible Soundbar such as the Soundbar 700, Soundbar 500 or the SoundTouch 300. 

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions. 

Tegan M 

7 REPLIES 7

Hello MarcAtkins, 

Thank you very much for messaging the community, I would love to do what I can in order to assist you with this. 

I want to ensure that I have a full understanding on what you are trying to achieve. Have you bought two sets of the surround speakers for your set up? 

If this is the case, these speakers are designed as rear speakers and you cannot connect multiple sets of the surround speakers to your set up. Only one set of surround speakers are able to connect to your system overall. 

I apologise for any disappointment which this provides. 

If you have any further questions please let us know. 

Tegan M - Community Support 

MarcAtkins
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 18, 2019

Thank you for the reply.

You have understood my question completely - and answered it. Thank you.

I bought the extra speakers hoping to be able to add 2 extra speakers at the front of the room, but as you said, this is not possible. Are there any other speakers that I could use at the front of this system?

Could they be used in the multi-room option?

Thank you.
Marc

Author Accepted Answer selected by MarcAtkins

Hello MarcAtkins, 

That is no problem at all, I am glad that I could assist you with this matter. 

You will not be able to add any more speakers to your set up as the maximum capacity for the Soundbar 700 is two (of the same) bass modules and a set of surround speakers. When listening to surround audio in your set up your Soundbar 700 will work as front speakers for your setup. 

You will not be able to use these extra surround speakers unless they are connected to another compatible Soundbar such as the Soundbar 700, Soundbar 500 or the SoundTouch 300. 

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions. 

Tegan M 

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Your Bose Soundbar 700 with bass module and rear surround speakers is a 5.1 system.  When watching a movie with 5.1 surround sound, you will hear all 5 channels plus the bass.  The soundbar itself has speakers projecting front left, center, and right channels.  There is no reason to add additional speakers even if you could.

MarcAtkins
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 18, 2019

Yep - agreed that the original package would supply 5.1, but I was curious if the firmware in the soundbar might be smart enough to recognise the 2 additional speakers at the front and duplicate the relevant sound from the front speaker into the 2 'additional' front speakers, somewhat simulating a virtual 7.1 surround.

I`m sure the soundbar, bass and rear speakers will be sufficient.

Thanks

Marc

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Even if you could do that, the Bose Soundbar 700 does not decode 7.1, just 5.1.  Having extra speakers playing the same front left and right channels would not be 7.1 virtual or otherwise.  Then the problem would be hearing the center speakers that are the main channel.

Trying to get 7.1 out of a 5.1 system seems to be a common question here.  If you want a 7.1 system or Dolby Atmos, etc. you should return your Bose and purchase a system that will give you what you want.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@MarcAtkins wrote:

Hello everyone,

I`ve just bought a Bose sound bar 700, bass unit and 2 surround speakers (all these came sold together). I thought I`d try and increase my surround experience by purchasing an additional 2 surround speakers, with the intention of positioning them at the front of the room, either side of the sound bar.

On closer inspection, it appears that this configuration may not be possible, as the speakers state that they are 'rear' speakers. Does anyone else have experience with the setup similar to what I`m trying to do? Is it possible?  Can I use the speakers at the front or could they be placed elsewhere? Thank you.

Marc

The system you have purchased is a 5.1 system. If you are looking for a 7.1 or Atmos system you will have to look at another product line. As well, your source player will have to push out 7.1. Or Atmos. Some optical players push 7.1 Dolby or DT signals, less do Atmos. Most TVs don’t pass thru Atmos or 7.1 signals. Apple TV does push out Atmos.

There are many receivers that can handle 7.1 or Atmos codecs. Bose does not make any 7.1 or Atmos systems but their 5.1 systems , like the one you have, sound very good.

Good luck in your searching for that just right system!