BMichel
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2021

View AV18 Settings on TV

Hello - trying to connect Apple TV 4K to Bose AV18.  I have HDMI connected from Apple TV direct to TV.  Have Optical Digital Cable running from TV to AV18.  Need to turn on the Optical Digital setting to the correct input on the AV18 but for the life of me can't get the menu/system settings up on the TV to make this setting change.  I'm running a video cable from the AV18 video out (below) to the video in on the TV but no luck.  Do I need the get the S-Video cable too?   OR - any other quick fix to get the setting on the screen so I can adjust and move on!  Thanks for everyone's help.

A9B027CF-AC75-43E6-875C-AB46CC150A4E.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: View AV18 Settings on TV

Author Accepted Answer selected by BMichel

@BMichel wrote:

@NeonsNight Making great progress.  Thank you!!  Using the hidden menu I was able to switch to NTSC Component Video Mode.  

You mean you switched to NTSC Composite+S correct? 

@BMichel wrote:

But I still can't find the system menu - must be my TV Input selection?  

The button is on the remote. The instructions linked to will guide you through that... assuming you can see the system menu.

If I'm running yellow covered cap cable from composite video out directly into TV what input should I use?  Thought it would be "Channel" as that is just TV in but nothing.  Tried all HDMI's for luck but that doesn't make sense.  Any thoughts other than I'm a dumbsh*t?

That depends on your TV. You will have to read the manual or contact your TV manufacture to find out.

@BMichel wrote:

@NeonsNight Maybe a coaxial cable from AV18 to back of TV for 'Channel' input?

@BMichel wrote:

@NeonsNight  Really was confident the coaxial cable from AV18 to TV with Channel Input was the ticket but that didn't work either.

Digital Coax is Audio and not Video 🤷‍♂️

@BMichel wrote:

@NeonsNight  - 

I’ve also tried composite video  out to “AV-HDMI” Converter – HDMI cable into HMDI 3 Input on TV and nothing on that input channel.  No luck here either.  Thanks.

Do you have a composite input? You said you purchased an AV-HDMI converter. Why not try that? If that doesn't work check the instructions I linked to earlier. Option 0a links to a page talking about what to look for/purchase if you are looking for converters and lists one to avoid.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@BMichel wrote:

Hello - trying to connect Apple TV 4K to Bose AV18.  I have HDMI connected from Apple TV direct to TV.  Have Optical Digital Cable running from TV to AV18.  Need to turn on the Optical Digital setting to the correct input on the AV18 but for the life of me can't get the menu/system settings up on the TV to make this setting change.  I'm running a video cable from the AV18 video out (below) to the video in on the TV but no luck.  Do I need the get the S-Video cable too?   OR - any other quick fix to get the setting on the screen so I can adjust and move on!  Thanks for everyone's help.

You might have the AV18 receiver in Component mode and not composite. I would check out this guide as I link to everything there.

I hope that this helps solve your problem. Let us know what happened 🙂

BMichel
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2021

@NeonsNight - thank you for your reply.  Greatly appreciate your help.  I have read through your link and unfortunately I'm still at a loss.  I'm hooked up composite outAV18 to composite in TV and nothing on the screen.  When you say it is in "component mode" - is there a way to get it out or what mode does it need to be in?  How do I change modes when I can't see the System Settings?  Sorry to be an idiot but usually I can figure this stuff out.  Lot has change in 12 years!!  Thanks again.

BMichel
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2021

@NeonsNight  - 

I’ve also tried composite video  out to “AV-HDMI” Converter – HDMI cable into HMDI 3 Input on TV and nothing on that input channel.  No luck here either.  Thanks.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@BMichel wrote:

@NeonsNight - thank you for your reply.  Greatly appreciate your help.  I have read through your link and unfortunately I'm still at a loss.  I'm hooked up composite outAV18 to composite in TV and nothing on the screen.  

It's all in the "Option 0. Video Out issues" section. Look at the one listed as b in that section 😉

@BMichel wrote:

When you say it is in "component mode" - is there a way to get it out or what mode does it need to be in?  How do I change modes when I can't see the System Settings?  Sorry to be an idiot but usually I can figure this stuff out.  Lot has change in 12 years!!  Thanks again.

There's a hidden menu to change between Composite/S-Video & Component, but not one for Optical.

@BMichel wrote:

@NeonsNight  - 

It won't work if your AV18 is in the wrong mode. Follow the instructions linked in 0b and that should solve it for you.

BMichel
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2021

@NeonsNight Making great progress.  Thank you!!  Using the hidden menu I was able to switch to NTSC Component Video Mode.  But I still can't find the system menu - must be my TV Input selection?  If I'm running yellow covered cap cable from composite video out directly into TV what input should I use?  Thought it would be "Channel" as that is just TV in but nothing.  Tried all HDMI's for luck but that doesn't make sense.  Any thoughts other than I'm a dumbsh*t?

BMichel
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2021

BMichel
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2021

@NeonsNight  Really was confident the coaxial cable from AV18 to TV with Channel Input was the ticket but that didn't work either.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by BMichel

@BMichel wrote:

@NeonsNight Making great progress.  Thank you!!  Using the hidden menu I was able to switch to NTSC Component Video Mode.  

You mean you switched to NTSC Composite+S correct? 

@BMichel wrote:

But I still can't find the system menu - must be my TV Input selection?  

The button is on the remote. The instructions linked to will guide you through that... assuming you can see the system menu.

If I'm running yellow covered cap cable from composite video out directly into TV what input should I use?  Thought it would be "Channel" as that is just TV in but nothing.  Tried all HDMI's for luck but that doesn't make sense.  Any thoughts other than I'm a dumbsh*t?

That depends on your TV. You will have to read the manual or contact your TV manufacture to find out.

@BMichel wrote:

@BMichel wrote:

Digital Coax is Audio and not Video 🤷‍♂️

@BMichel wrote:

@NeonsNight  - 

Do you have a composite input? You said you purchased an AV-HDMI converter. Why not try that? If that doesn't work check the instructions I linked to earlier. Option 0a links to a page talking about what to look for/purchase if you are looking for converters and lists one to avoid.

View solution in original post

BMichel
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2021

@NeonsNight I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!  I think the Composite + S is where I set it wrong.   Made that change - used the HDMI Convert to HDMI 3 Input and JACKPOT!  Really appreciate you time, effort and input to a complete stranger.  You've done your good deed today.  Thank you, Thank you.  Cheers.