Lifestyle V35 

I would like to control the Bose V35 using Alexa voice commands 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bose Best Answer selected by ModeratorLiam_W

Accepted Solutions
Audible Advocate

Re: What is best way to Connect Fire TV Cube 4K with Bose V35

Okay, so after playing with this for a while, here is what I have found

1) If you do not have a 4K TV (means Bose V35'S upper limit of 1080p) and 2) Do not use any other inputs ( either on TV or V35 Console) outside of HDMI (For ex. OTA Antenna etc). It is best to plug in the Fire TV Cube to one of the HDMI ports on the V35 Console. On Bose Unify screens, Register it as "Digital Media Player". Fire TV Cube is then able to walk thru the rest of the setup and add other equipment ( XBOX, Playstation, Roku, etc.) as needed. This way, we are able to switch to other equipment using Alexa as well as able to take advantage of HDMI audio ( supposed to be the best)

However, if you have a 4K TV and/or use OTA antenna of their devices *not* connected with HDMI ( to TV), then, it is best to plug in the Fire TV Cube directly to TV HDMI, also move rest of the HDMI inputs ( like Playstation, Roku, XBOX etc) to the TV HDMI and then connect TV to Bose via a "Optical Digital Cable" This way. Audio is simply "pass thru" to V35. Image is in 4K (not dumbed down to V35 limit of 1080P). We are still able to switch between all devices using Alexa in this mode as well. The only disadvantage, I can think later approach ( as opposed to First one) is that "Digital Optical Cable Audio" is supposed to be 'inferior' to the HDMI (recommended best) connection. However, it is a small price to pay if someone has a 4K TV and/or uses non-HDMI types of equipment with TV

It took me a few hrs. to figure out, so I hope the details in this post, help others in a similar situation. 

8 REPLIES 8
Audible Advocate

Bose Product : https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/products/5_speaker_home_theater_support/lsv35.html

Amazon Product: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=skL_dp_voicecom_pack?node=17284748011

It does say Bose is "supported". How can I make it work ??? 

A/V receivers

Control the power and volume on compatible A/V receivers from popular brands like Yamaha, Sony, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Pyle, Marantz, Sherwood, Audio Source, Harman Kardon, Russound, Bose, and more.With Fire TV Cube, just say:

“Alexa, turn up the volume.” 
“Alexa, mute.” 
You can also press and ask Alexa on your Alexa Voice Remote (2nd Gen), or use its dedicated buttons.

thumbnail

• Your Fire TV device must be powered on for voice commands to work from your remote. For the best results, use the power adapter and cable that came with your original purchase.
  • Your A/V receiver must be IR-enabled to support voice control. Over 90% of A/V receivers are IR-enabled.
  • You can ask Alexa to control the volume of either an A/V receiver or a soundbar (not both). You can choose your device during the setup process or from Fire TV.
  • Alexa can switch inputs on the majority of A/V receivers. Certain A/V receivers, including some older models, may not support this functionality.
  • Bang & Olufsen A/V receivers are not compatible with voice control.

Hi BeeKay, 

Thanks for your posts and welcome to the community. 

I can confirm that the Lifestyle V35 does have an IR emitter meaning that these systems should work together, I would recommend reaching out to Amazon about this as it is their product. There is a great setup guide here on how to set the system up, with other systems.

I hope that this helps and If any other users in the community have this setup or a similar one please do reach out. 

I look forward to hearing about what Amazon has to say about this. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Audible Advocate

Thank you Hector_B. Can you let me know if I should plug in the FIRE TV Cube HDMI directly into my TV HDMI or should it go into the Bose V35 Control Console (like my ROKU, XBox, etc.) The reason for this question is that, unlike Roku, XBox etc. I do *not* see any device for FIRE TV/Cube or Amazon. 

Please remember my aim is to control Bose V35 using Alexa Voice. 

Hi BeeKay, 

Please plug this directly into the TV. The video that I sent above explains in detail the steps to getting the device set up. 

From my understanding, the device will communicate with the V35 via IF. 

Please update me on the results of this. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Audible Advocate

Thanks Hector_B,

So currently all my devices (Roku, XBox, etc.) are directly connected to the V35 Control Console using the HDMI ports and I like the setup as with this setup, I can use Bose Universal remote to control all of the devices and even switch between the different devices (using bose remote) to show up on my TV.  With the current setup, I have many devices but my TV only uses one HDMI input (coming from the Bose V35 Console, that in turn has all other inputs within it)....

With the setup that you are describing (connecting Fire TV Cube directly to one of the TVs available HDMI port), won't I lose these V35 "Unification abilities"? Also (like my other connected devices), I would like the FIRE TV sound to come from the bose 5.1 speakers (like Roku and Xbox currently), would this still be possible with the new dual HDMI setup? 

Hi BeeKay, 

Thanks for posting and updating me on this.

I wouldn't be able to advise on this as I haven't ever used the Fire TV cube. I would recommend reaching out to Amazon for a suggested set up as it is their system that you are trying to add into your setup. 

I am sorry that I can't advise further on this due to lack of experience with the Fire TV Cube. 

Please update the thread with the information that you get from Amazon. 

Thanks, 

Hector B 

Audible Advocate

Okay, so after playing with this for a while, here is what I have found

1) If you do not have a 4K TV (means Bose V35'S upper limit of 1080p) and 2) Do not use any other inputs ( either on TV or V35 Console) outside of HDMI (For ex. OTA Antenna etc). It is best to plug in the Fire TV Cube to one of the HDMI ports on the V35 Console. On Bose Unify screens, Register it as "Digital Media Player". Fire TV Cube is then able to walk thru the rest of the setup and add other equipment ( XBOX, Playstation, Roku, etc.) as needed. This way, we are able to switch to other equipment using Alexa as well as able to take advantage of HDMI audio ( supposed to be the best)

However, if you have a 4K TV and/or use OTA antenna of their devices *not* connected with HDMI ( to TV), then, it is best to plug in the Fire TV Cube directly to TV HDMI, also move rest of the HDMI inputs ( like Playstation, Roku, XBOX etc) to the TV HDMI and then connect TV to Bose via a "Optical Digital Cable" This way. Audio is simply "pass thru" to V35. Image is in 4K (not dumbed down to V35 limit of 1080P). We are still able to switch between all devices using Alexa in this mode as well. The only disadvantage, I can think later approach ( as opposed to First one) is that "Digital Optical Cable Audio" is supposed to be 'inferior' to the HDMI (recommended best) connection. However, it is a small price to pay if someone has a 4K TV and/or uses non-HDMI types of equipment with TV

It took me a few hrs. to figure out, so I hope the details in this post, help others in a similar situation. 

Hi BeeKay, 

Thanks for posting and sharing your results! 

I'm sure this will provide very useful for other community members. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B