cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: When will the new Lifestyle be introduced (home theater)

Please stop referring to me in your posts.  Make your points on your own and I'll make mine.  Of course people at Bose working on new devices know what they are working on.  When I say nobody knows, I'm referring to moderators here.  And, as I said, they couldn't say if they did know.  Anyone here who is not a moderator is a customer and knows nothing about what Bose may or may not do in the future.  It is purely speculation which anyone can do.

VanVittig
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 7, 2019

My new tv haven’t a rca plug, so I just bought a lindy hdmi extractor to convert the hdmi signal to rca. Hope it works or I think I will be out of options. I also hope it will still be able to play 5.1 when “converted” or What it does. 

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

You know, if it's time to upgrade, you could go with a 3rd party Dolby Atmos receiver and a Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system.  You could add overhead speakers later.  That's probably what I will do when and if I ever upgrade.

Brycepatrick
Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Obviously, everyone wants Dolby Atmos, but Bose offers Dolby true HD which is a lossless sound track, and I use it all the time.  Its incredibly pure sound.  I dont want to say that its Better then Dolby Atmos, its probably not, but a lot of these terms are more for marketing.  Now if you own a actual public theater, where you can use ( I believe its 128 separate Dolby speakers) then it should really be a difference.  But as NO home theater would even have more then 12 separate speakers, you are not really getting the full DOLBY ATMOS that you hear about and see on YouTube.  Dolby TRUE HD provides a 7.1 (48kHz, 24-bit).  Or 100% of the master recording, another words they are not down converting the sound so it takes up less room on the Blu-ray or 4k disc.  

Dont get me wrong, Atmos is still really cool technology, but it may not be as pronounced or as important as one thinks it is in real life.  

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Only the Bose Lifestyle 650 and equivalent, and they only have 5 speakers plus subwoofer.  A Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 would be great.  A Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 would be beyond great.

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

For high resolution music, I use Roon, Tidal, and Qobuz streaming to my Oppo 203 (Roon ready end-point, 24/192 resolution) and then to my Bose.  Bose is OK for this, but I really need a new new amp and stereo speakers to connect using analog out from my Oppo.  Right now, the only way I can listen to 24/192 is using headphones I have connected to the Oppo analog out.  My Bose down converts to 24/96 I believe.  That's better than my Apple TV 4K that down converts to 16/48.  I stopped using it, and no longer use my free Apple Music account (free from Verizon).

Brycepatrick
Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

I agree Jim, a 7.2.4 would be great.  But the room I have my home theater that would be a complete over kill.  My question or concern is, lets just say Bose release a system like a 5.2.2 or 4 or 7.2.2 or 7.2.4, you will have a lot of extra speakers. Lets say they come out with a 5.2.2, that means you will need to mount 2 (wireless speakers on the ceiling, which requires a AC out let for each speaker) and for most people that will require a home theater installer.  Now things start to get move complicated and move away from Bose's simplicity marketing strategy.  Obviously they are away of this and am sure have been experimenting with speakers you dont need to place on the ceiling.  Either way, its more equipment, and more wires and more cost.  Not that it wouldn't sound great, but you can see the pickle Bose finds themselves in currently.   

Brycepatrick
Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

I have yet to try the high res music yet.  I would love to give it a try, we have little ones so listening to music is not a high priority like it used to be, it would be nice to just sit and listen to some nice music.  

I agree Jim, the best way to listen to music is a separate amp, 2 stereo speaker towers and a sub (or not).  A 5.1 system is not a great way to listen to music.  

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I turn off the surround speakers so it's 3.1 but only 24/96 as far as I can figure out.  That's because my Bose Soundtouch 300 does not have analog in, only digital, HDMI and optical.  So, I can't get the benefit of my Oppo DAC (24/192) when playing through the Bose.  That's why I use headphones for 24/192 listening.  However, the Bose sounds great anyway.

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I think most companies offer Dolby Atmos by now.  The upward firing speakers are questionable I think and would not work for me as I have 20 feet ceiling in family room.  However, I have an attic overhead with 110v outlets, so it would be easy to cut two or four holes in the ceiling and install speakers.  I already have wires running up there, but most people would benefit from wireless.

If Bose wants to keep up with their competition, they need to support Dolby Atoms, IMHO.  People who don't want it, don't need to buy it.  They can stick with 5.1 Dolby surround sound.