Will cables work from old Bose surround sound system

Silent Starter

Will cables work from old Bose surround sound system

I was considering getting the new Bose 700 sound bar, And getting a new wireless surround sound speakers. I noticed the wires are very similar to my existing older system however my speakers for my old system go directly into my sub woofer using a different connection. I’m wondering if I could splice it cut off those old connections to use with the new speakers
5 REPLIES 5
Wistful Whiz

Re: Will cables work from old Bose surround sound system

No, the Bose 700 uses wireless rear surround speakers.  The soundbar itself contains the front left, right, and center.  There is no way or reason to try connecting wired speakers to the Bose 700 soundbar.

The Bose rear surround speakers do use wires to connect each rear speaker to a power brick which plugs into the wall.  The wires for this come with the speakers.

Silent Starter

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm thinking about buying the Bose surround sound speakers for my rears, and I noticed the cables that go into the power source do not have the same connectors as my existing (old bose system). But I was wondering if I can cut off my connectors to my old system wires so I can plug them into the new power source. 

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

If you buy Bose rear surround speakers they will come with the wireless receivers/power bricks and the required wires.  You have no reason to use old wires.

It sounds like what you're really trying to do is use your old Bose speakers as rear surrounds.  No, you cannot do that because they can't connect wirelessly to the soundbar.

Maybe if you would honestly post exactly what it is you are trying to do, someone could answer the question.

Silent Starter

I have an existing old Bose surround system with the wires already fished through the walls and floors. I wanted to replace my existing Bose 5.1 system to a Bose soundbar and add the two rear surround sound speakers. But, because the cables are already ran, I want to try to use those wires with the new rear surround speakers with the new power bricks. But because my exisitng wires have fittings that go directly into the existing sub, I would have to cut them to see if they would work with the new pwer brick.

Wistful Whiz

The rear surround speakers are wireless.  There are no wires from the soundbar to the rear speakers.  All you need is the power bricks/wireless receivers that come with the speakers and a 110 volt outlet to plug them into.

Are you implying there is no110 volt outlet near where you plan to put the rear surround speakers?  If that is what you are trying to say, then you could probably put the power bricks somewhere else and use existing in-wall wiring from the power bricks to the new surround speakers.  You would need to splice the old wires to the new wires to make that work.