jkhcast
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 1, 2020

bass sound on tv source

i have a soundbar 500 as well as a Bass 500 module hooked up to a samsung Q60 TV. the soundbar is connected to the tv via the ARC HDMI port. My cable box is hooked up to the HDMI 1 port. When I have the remote set to the "cable" mode i can adjust the bass volume and the sound is great (although i can only use the remote to watch programs on my cable and DVR, the 'home' button doesnt work in this mode). When i have the remote set to the 'TV' mode I get NO BASS sound at all. even when i adjust the sound via the app, none of the sound changes, even the treble sound does not change. Although the sound is coming from the soundbar (not the TV) The sound is horrible. Why am i getting different sounds based on the source i am using?  What am i missing???   HELP!!!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: bass sound on tv source

Hello jkhcast, 

Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry that you are having some varied results with the audio quality of your soundbar. 

Whilst setting up your Soundbar 500, did you run the ADAPTiQ process? This helps calibrate the speaker to provide the best acoustic performance to suit your surroundings. Please follow this link on how to perform the ADAPTiQ feature. 

You do not need to have your cable box connected to the soundbar. However, can you please connect these together as a test to see whether the audio quality improves?

Can you also confirm for us the make of your cable box?

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
jkhcast
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 1, 2020

I ran the ADAPTiQ process when i set up the soundbar. And as i stated, when my remote is set to the 'cable' source it works fine. It is only when it is set to the "tv" source that it does not work. WHY???

I would assume that everything would work correctly when set to TV since the soundbar is connected to the TV on the ARC HDMI and the cable is set to an ordinary HDMI, yet it is only when i have the source set to cable that is works properly???  And i do not know the model of cable box that i have. i use AT&T uverse. But again, the cable source works fine.

Highlighted

Hi jkhcast,

It certainly is strange that the soundbar is behaving like this.

Can you control the sound coming from the soundbar at all when in TV mode? Do the volume controls still work?

It would be helpful to know what make/model of TV you have, and what you are watching on the TV when you experience this. From how you are describing this it does sound like there may be some settings on the TV that will need to be looked at.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
jkhcast
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 1, 2020

as i said in my original post, i am using a Samsung Q60 TV. I can control the volume on the soundbar when i am in TV mode, however, the settings that i have programmed for the soundbar and bass accessory all return to '0' when i am in TV mode (this is seen in my Bose app). the soundbar is on, but i have no control  over the settings. It doesn't matter what i am watching on TV, as long as the "TV" button is glowing blue, the settings on the soundbar are set to '0' and cannot be adjusted. The only time they can be adjusted are when the 'cable' button is on (blue). unfortunately in that mode, i can only use the remote to control my cable box. The 'home' button does not work, i cannot switch apps if i am using an app, i cannot do anything other than use the remote as a cable box remote.  If i want to use the soundbar (with the settings adjusted) i have to keep it set to cable and use my TV remote. If i try to use my universal soundbar remote i have to have it set to TV to change apps. Then when i switch back to 'cable' mode to get the soundbar settings, my tv kicks me out of the app i am in and switches me back to my cable setting. This is a real issue. for $800 i would assume i would have gotten better directions and someone would have been able to tell me what the problem is by now. i have been addressing this issue for over a month.

Highlighted

hi jkhcast,

Thank you for providing that information.

When you have the soundbar set to TV and are unable to control the audio settings, what does the app show at that point? Do the options show as usual and you are unable to change them, or do they appear different?

As a test, can we please try removing the HDMI cable between the soundbar and the TV and connect an optical cable instead? It would be very useful to know if the same behaviour was present on both inputs.

Another thing you can look at would be the 'digital output audio format' setting on your TV. you would want to make sure this is set to PCM, Dolby Digital, or DTS. If this gives you the choice of more than one of those options, try changing between them and see if this changes the response.

Also, if you haven't done so already, I would recommend rebooting the soundbar, by disconnecting it from the power for 30 seconds, then reconnecting and testing again.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards, 

Keith L