Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2020

hum from Acoustimass 10 module

Hi all.  My Acoustimass 10 module has developed a hum when my AVR is off.  I've tried the following to troubleshoot:

Disconnected serial cable - hum still present

Disconnected all speakers - hum still present

Connected to different power outlet - hum gone

Reconnected speakers

Reconnected serial cable - hum returned

Disconnected serial cable - hum still present

Connected to different power outlet - hum still present

Does this make sense to anyone?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: hum from Acoustimass 10 module

Hey Enzso, thanks for your message. 

Happy to help where we can with your Acoustimass 10 system. To clarify, is it specifically the bass module that produces a hum? What model of Acoustimass system do you own, and what is it connected to? It sounds like the amplifier or receiver that you're using in conjunction with the system may be sending some form of audio signal to the Bose system. Has this issue been ongoing for an extended period of time, or has it only just began recently? Have you introduced any new additional hardware to your home environment that is used in conjunction with the receiver/amplifier?

As the hum was not persistent at different power outlets, there may be issues with electronic wiring grounding from the power supply. There may be interference from other electronic wiring at that specific power outlet that you're using. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2020

Thanks Andy

Yes, the hum is coming just from the bass module.  Apart from it being an Acoustimass 10 as the title says is there another model number you're asking for?  It's connected to a Sony STRDN-1050.  It can't be the AVR causing the issue as the hum is still present when the AVR is disconnected (disconnecting the serial cable was in my list of steps above).  I suspected it was a power issue too when I switched power points and the hum disappeared, but now when I switch power points it makes no difference, the hum remain.  Maybe I'll keep trying power points.  I first noticed the problem 2 days ago.  I've not made any changes or introduced new hardware in over 12 months.

Highlighted

Hi Enzso, 

Thanks for confirming this. This is a very strange issue. 

At this point, I would recommend reaching out to our team by clicking the LINK HERE, selecting your country, and scrolling down to 'Contact Us'. One of the team will be more than happy to help you! 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please reach out to us again! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2020

OK I'll do that.

Further testing today shows changing the power point does nothing.   What's actually happening is if I disconnect the serial cable the hum stops after about 2 minutes.  If I leave the cable disconnected and switch the power supply to the module of then on, the hum returns for 2 minutes, then stops.