Highlighted
saccharine
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 3, 2019

no sound through AV18 :(

Dispite my best efforts I cannot get the AV18 to produce sound from my sony bravia. I have my devices plugged in via HDMI into the tv and bought an optical audio cable which is plugged into the correct ports of the AV 18 from the output on the bravia. The only way I can get sound is through the tv still. any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: no sound through AV18 :(

Hello Saccharine,

Thank you for your message, welcome to the community. I am very sorry that you are experiencing no audio from your system.

Can you please confirm what Lifestyle System you own? If you are unsure of this please observe this link to identify your system. 

Have you ensured that your TV's audio settings are selected to output audio through your music system? 

May I ask what devices you have connected to your TV via HDMI? 

We look forward to hearing from you, we would love to do what we can to get this resolved for you.

Tegan M - Community Support

saccharine
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 3, 2019

The underside of the unit reads "AV18" and the manual I have is for the lifestyle 18 series II and the lifestyle 28 series II. I'm not near the unit today to read the serial numbers this is the info I have right now.

I have;

a playstation 3 plugged into the tv via HDMI

an amazon fire stick plugged into the tv via HDMI

the bose entertainment system is also plugged into the tv via coax red yellow white cables

this is why I was trying to use the audio optical cable from the tv's audio out to the bose dvd unit's optical in, but I get no sound. I have changed the settings on the tv from tv speakers to sound system and I recieve no sound.

Thank you

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Get rid of all cables between the Bose and TV except the optical cable.  Make sure the TV internal speakers are off with TV sound sent to external HDMI/optical.  If your Bose system has a way to choose inputs, make sure it is set for optical in and your optical cable is plugged into Bose optical in and TV optical out.

Also, i before e except after c, receive.

Hi again @saccharine and thanks for getting back to us!

You won't need to worry about providing the serial number, and we would not recommend that you post this here.

As far as further troubleshooting goes, if you are using HDMI inputs to your TV, then would I be correct in saying that there are no sources connected to the input of the control console?

If so, then you would only need to use the audio cables for the system.

If you use the L/R RCA cables, then you would not need the digital (D) cable to be connected as well.

The alternative as noted my @Xyz987 would be to use the Optical cable for this

Regardless of which cable option you decide upon, I would advise that you ensure that the TV does not have a separate "external speaker" or "headphones" volume level. If this does, then please ensure that this is not muted. Please note that you would only need to use one of the cable types suggested here 😊

I am aware that you have tried connecting this to the optical before, but there is an optical in and an optical out so please check that the right port is used!

If you're still having issues with this, or have any questions, please get back to me!

Liam W - Community Support

saccharine
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 3, 2019

You would not be correct in saying there are no sources in the control center.

Sony bravia tv has the following in its inputs:
HDMI PS3
HDMI Fire stick
RCA to bose dvd control console

Sony bravia tv has the following in its outputs:
digital optical audio in the audio out

This digital optical audio cable then goes in to the digital optical input on the control console. I followed the instructional guide that came with my unit which said the optical audio cable goes from the output on the tv to the optical input on the control console. The only audio output is from the digital audio, I am not also using rca cables for audio output. I can't see the control center menu options without it plugged into the tv for video, as they are on screen menus.

I have also gone through the settings on my tv to assign it to external speakers, I have checked the mute settings for the bose control center, the tv speaker and the headphones, none are muted.

The link the first responder posted indicated using the serial number to look up the unit, I'm simply saying I don't have access to looking it up that way at this time and gave the information that told me what unit it is. 

The control center is a dvd player and radio, I am not getting any audio from radio stations that previously played and the volume is turned up enough to hear it and it is not muted. So I can't get audio from the tv or even audio that should be produced from the bose unit itself at this time.

Thank you for your polite response.

Hi @saccharine , and thanks for the follow-up!

In this instance, I would be wanting to check the connections at the base level to establish why this is not working for you here.

As such, the first test is to check that the optical port and connections are working. 

When the optical cable is connected to the TV, but not connected at the other end, this optical cable should product a red LED if this is an active port, so please check this. 

If there is no red LED, then please try another optical cable. If this is still not working, please get in touch with Sony.

The second test, if the optical cable does work, is to test the Bose. The rear of your PS3 does have an optical port, so I would advise that you connect your Bose system directly to the PS3 then boot this up. If your console and system are able to play the audio from the PS3, then this would indicate that this is a connection issue between the TV and the console.

If this does not play any audio, then I this is likely to be an issue with the setup, or with the console.

If you have pin-pointed this to the console/setup, and have already checked all of the speaker connections, then I would advise that you reach out to Bose Support in your country/region.

This would be done by clicking HERE, selecting your country/region, then navigating to "Contact Us" at the bottom of that page.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions with the above!

Liam W

Dayu
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

Hi @saccharine ,  were you able to resolve this issue ? I have the same pblm and unable to get the audio from LG TV (65UM7300AUE) to the Bose Media center (AV18) via the optical cable. The TV audio-out  is set to Optical. The mediacenter's optical audio-in has been assigned to TV. With the TV on and Medicenter source as TV, no sound comes. The mediacenter works fine for other sources (AM/FM Tuner, Aux). Any advice?

Thanks

Dayu
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

..forgot to mention..the optical cable coming out of the TV does show red light when the TV is sending audio..

Hello Dayu, 

Have you checked the audio format settings on the television? You may have an option such as PCM or Automatic in the audio settings. I would recommend switching between those modes as to find a setting that is suitable for your setup. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Kind regards,

Jeff G