Highlighted
billg58
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 4, 2018

solo tv sound system will not power up after off over night

Interesting problem.. I have a solo TV sound system that works great; sound control and power of and on with my samsung tv. The unit is plugged into the wall directly for power and when I power off using the remote it works great, the tv and the sound system powers off. In the morning the bose system will not power back on using the remote. The tv comes on fine but I have to pull power on the sound system to have it power back up. I can turn off and on many times during the day and it works fine but for some reason overnight request a power reset to work. 

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndyPopely
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: solo tv sound system will not power up after off over night

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Liam_W

I thought I post an update on my observations on this issue. I think it's fixed.

I decided to do what Billg58 did and I turned my Bose off each night. That worked for me too. But sometimes I would forget to turn it off and the next morning sometimes the Bose will come out of standby as normal and sometimes it wouldn't.

The times it failed seemed to be related to the weather. If the overnight temperature was colder than usual or it was stormy then the Bose wouldn't turn on from standby. If the overnight weather wasn't extreme then there was no problem.

So I thought maybe the electrical power supply was fluctuating slightly that didn't affect the other home theatre equipment (TV DVR) but did affect the Bose.

For the last few years I used to connect the Bose, TV and DVR to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply. Then the UPS gave out and I didn't replace it but connected all 3 devices directly into the wall outlet.

So I bought a new UPS device and plugged all 3 devices into it and since then (5-6 weeks) no problems with the Bose.

14 REPLIES 14

Hello billg58,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening with your Solo system. Has this always been happening since you've owned the product? If not, was there any recent power outages or thunderstorms?

Let me know the results.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

billg58
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 4, 2018

Hey Joel, 

Worked fine up until a month or so back. Not sure if any storms were involved as this is my mothers system. I am just trying to assist. I have a technical background and find this problem quite interesting. Using the remote to power off the unit leaves the system in a standby mode. At some time in this mode is looses the ability to recieved or act on a signal from the remote to activate. With only a hard reset ( unplug ) to get it back to listen mode to activate with the remote.  I suppose there could have been a power spike from a storm while in standby mode that somehow impacted the remote activation circut in a way that causes it to stop monitoring after being in standby mode fro some time.

Works great otherwise and would hate to have to buy another unit. She loves her Bose sound system.. 

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

I completely understand having to lose the sound quality from the Solo and having to go back to using the TV speakers. 

Let's try performing a system update with a USB thumb drive and see if it helps.

Instructions can be found HERE.

Warm Regards,

Joel

billg58
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 4, 2018

Would love to try but I am 3000 miles away and I doubt my 80 year old mother could follow the instructions. Is there a way I could get the USB already loaded from Bose or possibly download the right version myself and send her the usb drive? I have the unit serial number.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can completely understand the distance issue between you two; it's not always easy.

We don't carry preloaded USB for updates for the Solo systems. However, if you were to purchase one and send it to her for the first couple of steps in that process and she ships it back, you could then finish loading the update on that drive and send it back to complete the update.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

AndyPopely
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Bill,

Did you ever get this resolved?  The last few months my Bose Solo has started doing the same thing.  If the Bose is in standby (green light off) for a couple of hours then it does turn on using the remote.  But if the Bose is in standby (green light off) for several hours eg overnight then it will not turn on.  Every morning I have to turn off and on the electricty to the Bose, wait for the 2 beeps,  then use the remote to turn on the Bose.

I am on the latest firmware 1.0.6.1287

billg58
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 4, 2018

Never resolved. I suspect lighting damaged to the stanby circut causing it not to wake up after being in standby mode for a few hours. Since this is my mothers and I am not there to fix we just installed an on/off switch ( works with her amazon alexa device ) to turn off at night and back on the next day.. 

Hello All

Thank you for keeping this post updated.

I'm sorry to hear this is something you are both still experiencing, as it's definitely not normal behaviour for the Solo Systems but I'm glad to hear you have found fix for now Bill.

Andy, if you are still experiencing this issue, even with your speaker fully up to date, I would definitely recommend getting in touch with your local technical support team. As this does seem likely to be hardware related they'll be able to help you resolved. 

I would recommend the same for you as well Bill, and while there is always the possibility they'll ask you to do the update as a troubleshooting step, they should be able to help you as well.

You can find the contact information here by selecting your country and then 'Contact Us'

I hope this helps.

Keith

AndyPopely
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the prompt response.  Sad you didn't a resolution but I like your hi tech workaround to what I'm doing manually.

Hi Keith,

I did contact Bose tech support and they said they no longer provide support for these units anymore.