Highlighted
moakley8
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

your tv does not support this program's content protection

I have a Lifestyle 135 Home system

When connected to the Directtv BOX i keep getting the following message

your tv does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program

This only happens when connected to Bose System.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: your tv does not support this program's content protection

Hello moakley8, 

Thank you for reaching out via the Bose Community. Welcome to the site.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with this.

Some TVs do not support HDCP. HDMI uses a very strong encryption tool called HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) to ensure that video content is not unlawfully copied. HDMI sources must make a "handshake"--which means they must prove their connected video devices also use this encryption method. If an HDMI source (or repeater) cannot confirm that a TV is HDCP compliant, the source is unable to send HDMI video or audio to it. Consequently, if your TV doesn't return the HDCP handshake, it can't receive audio or video via HDMI. In this case, you can use a component video connection from the media center to the TV

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support.

kz5rt2
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

Hello,

Just last week, I've been receiving this message as well, "Your TV does not support this program's content protection.  Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to vew the program".  

I've replaced the HDMI cables with expensive certified cables and still, this does not work.  Nothing seems to pass through the BOSE 135.  However, if I use my old and new cables directly from the receivers, the tv plays fine.  I know the BOSE 135 is still transmitting video since I can see the settings/options menu on the tv.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is so frustrating.

Hello kz5rt2, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am sorry that you are experiencing some issue with yout system and I would love to assist you in getting them resolved. 

To start with please can I confirm: 

• Which system do you have, it is listed on the bottom of the control module? 
  • Which sources are you trying to connect?
  • Is this something that has just started happening after a previous set up or have you only just set this system up? 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

kz5rt2
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

Hello, I have the Lifestyle 135 series I.

This system has been in place for over 3 years without touching any connections (both adding nor subtracting components)  I have a directv H24 on hdmi 1, firestick 2, and panasonic blue ray dvd player on 3.  When the error message as described in my post above appears, I cannot play any one of the three components.  The message appears when plying the directv.  

I am not sure of the routine of resetting and or powering down, but can eventually get it to work again only to happen again.

Last night I finally gave up, removed the hdmi for the directv from the bose and connected it directly to the tv, there has been no issues thus far connecting directly to the tv.

For what it's worth, I've tried different HDMI inputs on the tv from the Bose output, and new certified cables.

Hello kz5rt2,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I understand that this is very frustrating for you. I am glad that you have found that plugging directly to the TV solves this issue, I recommend using this method going forward. 

You mentioned wanting to know how to reset the system, you can do this by following the steps below:

1. Turn the control console off
  2. On the control console, press and hold Power for five seconds. The red LED will turn off
  3. Release the Power button
  4. Retest the system

Should you have any further questions then please get in touch, have a lovely day!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

You cannot use HDMI cables with non HDCP compliant devices.

kz5rt2
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

I agree with compatibility, but as I said earlier, this has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years untouched.

After further forum investigation, it appears directv has pushed an update that has caused this issue.  Obviously talking to csr's does absolutely no good, there has been reports of the known issue and dtv does not know how to correct it.

I guess for now, I'll bypass the system and not pass HDMI through the lifestyle 135 and pass audio to it optically. 

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I had a similiar situation with connecting my Slingbox to my U-Verse TV receiver.  It worked for years until it didn't.  I ended up buying some sort of device that got around the HDCP issue, but I don't remember what it was or where I got it.  You might be able to find such a device using Google.