Highlighted
Uncle Roy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 26, 2019

60 cycle hum in QC20 earbud

With radio at very low volume, the noise cancelling feature amplifies the 60 cycle AC line hum to an annoying level. Tried this with other radios, same problem. Otherwise the earbuds work fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this? 

Thanks very much. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Uncle Roy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 26, 2019

Re: 60 cycle hum in QC20 earbud

Author Accepted Answer selected by Uncle Roy

Happy to say that both the 60 cycle hum problem and QC20 earbud volume control buttons not working were solved using a Volbox in-line volume control- eliminated the hum at low volume and controls the earbud volume well in noise cancelling mode 

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3

Hello Roy,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this hum when using your QC20 headphones.

To confirm, do you have them connected to a radio player?

Has this always happened or recently begun?

If they are connected to a mains radio player, it sounds like it could be a ground loop. Have you tried moving the radio player at all? There could be surrounding factors causing this. Things such as laptop chargers can have an impact. 

Are you using a surge protector at all?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Uncle Roy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 26, 2019

Yes, the QC20 is connected to the same radio player as before but the hum has gotten worse. Tried moving it away from other cables, tried using a surge protector, no change. Tried plugging the QC20 into another mains powered radio player, the hum is less noticeable, but I still hear it when the volume control on the radio is very low.  I notice that the in-line volume buttons don't affect the earbud volume, only the volume control on the radio itself. Should I try an in-line volume attenuator, or ground loop hum eliminator (or both)?  

Thank you Charlotte. 

Uncle Roy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 26, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by Uncle Roy

Happy to say that both the 60 cycle hum problem and QC20 earbud volume control buttons not working were solved using a Volbox in-line volume control- eliminated the hum at low volume and controls the earbud volume well in noise cancelling mode 

Thanks