Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

Allergic reaction to SoundSport® Free wireless headphones

I purchased the SoundSport® Free wireless headphones brand new at Bestbuy in Aug'19.  My wife began wearing the headphones regularly (for hours at a time) early October and she noticed the insides of her ears would blister and rash up. Initially, she believed the headphones needed cleaning, but regardless of how much she cleaned it, it didn't stop the reactions. At this point, she can no longer wear them for fear of what appears to be an allergic reaction.

I've searched this community, and have found several similarly reported incidents (which I have linked below), which all allude to an issue caused by silicon allergy.

Does Bose provide any solutions to the issue?

Does Bose currently make (or are looking into making an) alternative ear buds made in a different material?

Thanks,

H

References:

https://community.bose.com/t5/In-Ear-Headphones/Bose-soundsport-frees-stay-hear-tips-causing-irritat...

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wellness-Archive/Itching-on-neck-and-skin-irritation-after-using-Hearp...

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wellness-Archive/Acne-in-Ear/m-p/174226/thread-id/630

https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/Allergic-to-Silicone-Airbuds/m-p/209445/thread-id/3...

https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/QC35II-ear-cushion-allergy/m-p/138843/thread-id/225...

https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/Bose-QC-35-II-Ear-Pad-Allergy/m-p/119065/thread-id/...

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: Allergic reaction to SoundSport® Free wireless headphones

Hi Heneywong, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Forum!

I'm sorry to hear that your wife is experiencing skin irritation when using our SoundSport Free earphones. 

I have marked your post as a feature request so that the relevant team can view this.

Thank you for your feedback! If there is anything else we can do, please reach out to us again!

Kindest,

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 30, 2019

To whom it may concern:

I am also encountering a strong allergic reaction from my new bose earbuds. In such manner that it has swollen my ear canal on one side and a discharge comes out. I have pair of jaybird and have used earbuds for years. Love your product,  but something has to be done about the rubber. For the price the value of the product should be there.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 16, 2020

I am also having an allergic reaction to this product. Pretty disappointed because now I can't use these and I've got sores in both my ears. 
Will Bose take the product back for store credit or refund? 

Highlighted

Hi Mrzbreeze, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a reaction to one of our products. I would recommend getting in contact with our team. Click the LINK HERE, select your country and scroll down to 'Contact Us'. One of our agents will be more than happy to assist you! 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please reach out to us again! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 16, 2020

I have been trying really hard to find a way to contact through the site but it seems to be taking me in circles and I can not find a way to submit anything. 

Can you please help me with being more specific as to how to submit something? 

Thank you

Highlighted

Hi mrzbreeze,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble finding the information you are after on the site.

If you could let me know what country/region are you based in, I can provide you the correct contact information directly.

Kind Regards,

Keith L 

Participant
Registered since

Jan 16, 2020

Keith - Thanks for the quick reply. It is very much appreciated. 

I am in US Central. 

Highlighted

Hi mrzbreeze,

Thank you for providing that information.

The contact information for your local support team in the US can be found HERE.

For dealing with issues arising from an allergic reaction to the headphones, I would recommend calling us on the number shown on that page for our US team. - 1-800-379-2073

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 6, 2020

I just bought my Bose wireless headset and think I am allergic to the material. After first use my ears starting itching really bad, after a few days of using them I had clear liquid coming out of both ears. I went to urgent care after about a week of the oozing from my ears, come to find out I had a double ear infection. I took my antibiotics and after 2 weeks everything was all clear. Went back to wearing my Bose wireless ear buds again, now after 1 use my ears are itching and throbbing again with the same sensation from very first use of the product. It is the craziest thing, as I am not allergic to any material or food. Guess this will be my last use of the wireless Bose headsets.