Participant
Registered since

Oct 15, 2020

Audio dropouts with Quietcomfort Earbuds on Mac

I use the QC earbuds w/NC for calls and audio. I received them yesterday and after getting everything paired and set up, I'm noticing that when there's a steady stream of audio - either music, or streaming video - the audio cuts out sporadically. Sometimes every few seconds, sometimes a few minutes apart.

For context:

• 2018 Macbook Pro w/Touch Bar, latest MacOS and firmware
  • Single Thunderbolt 3 USB-C connection to a Thunderbolt 3 dock, to which all of my peripherals are connected.
  • Wifi is disabled --> I am directly connected via ethernet to my router
  • Only other bluetooth devices connected are: keyboard, Apple trackpad. 
  • Mouse is connected via Logitech USB-unifying receiver

I don't have any connectivity issues with my Bose Headphones 700 --> those connect flawlessly and don't have any audio dropouts. 

Would love to know if anyone else is experiencing the same issues, who might also be using a Macbook Pro? It's hard to tell whether this is a bluetooth issue or an earbuds issue? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Audio dropouts with Quietcomfort Earbuds on Mac

Hello keisuke_z,

Thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry to hear you've had issues with audio cutting out. 

Does this problem only occur with the MacBook pro? Do you experience the same problems if you pair with your smartphone for example? 

Have you tried un-pairing the earbuds then tried to establish a new connection? This may help correct any potential corruption in the pairing. A reset may also help resolve any other minor issues. 

I'll look forward to your reply.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Oct 15, 2020

Hi Jeff,

This problem seems to only occur on the Macbook Pro. When I've used the earbuds with my iPad Pro, I haven't had any issues. 

I have noticed a secondary audio issue when taking Zoom calls with the earbuds, while paired to my Macbook Pro: The audio will intermittently become very "tinny" and I'll hear my own voice - sort of like I'm in a small but very long tunnel. It produces a very strange effect and I've had to stop using them each time it's occurred. 

That is quite strange! Do you know if this is to do with the quality of the Zoom call? This may have an effect on the bitrate of audio and cause some slight distortion.

Have you yet added your QC Earbuds to the Bose Music app, to push the latest firmware update on them? If not, this is great to do to ensure your product is receiving all future bug fixes and feature releases. You can also push this firmware update HERE.

Also, I'd recommend performing a reset, and to clear all pairing history of your Macbook Pro, and re-connecting just the QC Earbuds. Let me know if this helps with the audio dropouts you were having.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Dec 24, 2020

Did you ever resolve the issue? 

I had the same audio dropout issue on my Mac with Zoom and Hangouts calls. It was so bad last week that I had to switch to my wired headphones mid-call. I was wondering if it was an OS problem, so I updated to Big Sur OS. I just got off a Hangouts call where there was no audio dropout, but had the "tinny" sound where it felt like I couldn't clear my ears. Really really annoying.

Considering returning unless I can find a solution...

Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2021

Re: Audio dropouts with Quietcomfort Earbuds Samsung Note 20 Ultra

I received my new QC Earbuds for Xmas. I Downloaded the latest Bose Music App. on my Samsung Note 20+ Ultra 5G. The Earbuds seemed to work perfect for the first week, now i'm having Drop out issues every time i use them for anything but phone calls.

I have tried resetting the Blue Tooth connection, Re-install Bose music app. Tried only having 1 Blue Tooth device connected (Earbuds) and removed myself from all other potential sources of interference like Wi-Fi and all other electronic devices other than my phone.

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.

Participant
Registered since

Oct 10, 2020

I have the same issue with audio cutting off every minute or two, for a 1-2 secs period then resuming.

Happens with both Bose Sports buds and Home Speaker 500, on latest MacBook Pro M1 with Big Sur OS. I did all resets possible for the BT, buds & speaker to no avail. All at latest versions.

After some research it is most likely a MacBook Pro / Bluetooth / Big Sur 11.1 OS as forums indicate (not specifically M1 chip, Intel as well, and Mac Airs), with someone saying 11.2 is in Beta and (may) address the issue.

What I find intriguing tho that you mention the Bose 700 headphones does not have that issue, which I have but never used with the Mac.

Not sure if Bose know of that issue being common, or if they are working on something with Apple on it.