Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 16, 2020

Battery Issue for soundsport free

So I haven't seen this issue I'm having with this product. If someone else has had problem please feel free to reach out. So I bought my Bose soundsport free device brand new while I was overseas on a military deployment. Loved the product other then anything about 90 degree outside would make the device cut off. So I would only use it in the gym or running during colder temperatures. I recently came back from the trip to Europe and had no issues. As of last month(January) I have had an unexplained battery issue. The battery life went from 3 hours to barely 1 before the device tells my phone that the battery is less than 10 percent. Which causes the left device to cut off. As soon as that happens the app says the device still has 70 percent life. From time to time I can reactivate the left device and it will work for a few minutes and cut off again. I never expect to have issues with this device this early in its life with me. I spent a little bit of money on the product thinking that Bose would make a solid product that would help with my on the go lifestyle. I have updated the firmware recently, so if there is anything else someone could recommend I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time sir/ma'am.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Battery Issue for soundsport free

Hello RayBB, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

I am sorry that you are having some battery and connection issues. This is not normal. I note that you said the headphones would cut out due to exposure to high temperatures. The headphones should only be used within 5 to 122 °F (-15 to 50 °C). I am wondering if maybe there was some longterm damage caused during this time? Also, it is worth noting that the SoundSport Free needs a 5 VDC, 0.8 A charger. Whilst moving around, could it be possible that a higher voltage was used on the headphones? 

Regardless, let's try some troubleshooting to resolve this for you. Updating the firmware was a great start, was this done at http://btu.bose.com? If so, please could you also try the following: 

• Try resetting your headphones. To do this place the earbuds into the charging case, plug the charging case into a wall outlet using a USB charger and wait 5 seconds, unplug the USB cord from the charging case and wait 1 minute. After that remove the earbuds from the case and try again. 
  • Clearing the Bluetooth list. To do this press and hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds, until you hear “Bluetooth device list cleared.”
  • Delete your headphones from the Bose Connect app and from the Bluetooth list on your mobile device and then repair them. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 16, 2020

Ma'am,

The temperature where I was at never went above 105 degrees celsius even with the heat index if I'm not mistaken. As far as the voltage goes I haven't changed the way I charge your company's product the entire time I've owned it. But its it's something I'll look into. I updated the headphones through your company's mobile app. I will attempt to reset the device and will update further. 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 16, 2020

Ma'am,

So I attempted the reset as you suggested. Not sure if I did it correctly. Is there a video somewhere that show's how it is done? I also reset the connection to my phone. But I am still having problems with the battery. Was at the gym yesterday and the left headset died after only an hour and twenty minutes of listening.

Highlighted

Hi RayBB,

Thank you for trying those steps and letting us know!

We don't have any video guides for the reset process, but it is definitely something that would be useful and I will see if we can get made for the future.

If you have followed the steps as @Vicky_W described them, you will have performed this correctly. If you are still having the same problem after doing so, I would recommend getting in touch with your local support team, as they will be able to help you resolve this issue. You can find the contact information for the US support team HERE

Let me know how you get on with your local support team!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.