lebelm
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 28, 2018

Bose QC Earbuds - Playback Control

First, let me say that these wireless ear buds have arguably the best noise cancelling on the market. That’s something Bose has always excelled at. They sound great too and work very well for exercise - especially running. Strong Bluetooth connection as well 

However, there are a few issues with these earbuds that are considerably frustrating give that Bose has had YEARS to perfect these earbuds and learn from competitors. 1st, the touch playback controls are obnoxiously limited. The inability to alter the volume with the earbuds is absurd for this generation of ear buds.

2nd - the ear buds don’t have the ability to skip backwards when it comes to song control? Whatever happened to the universally accepted 1 tap = pause, 2 taps = skip forward, and 3 taps = reverse. But now instead Bose has us holding down the left ear bud to skip a song and double tapping the right to pause? Ridiculous. 

3rd - I know other people have posted about this but the inability to swap devices using the app despite your older devices supporting this functionality is insulting. These are expensive, premium headphones and every consumers expectation is to have this feature. But instead, you force the user to disconnect the ear buds from the phone and thus losing the ability to use the app to easily manage Bluetooth connections. 

I feel these are all basic features that should have been available on release. They may have plans to make adjustments during updates but myself, and a good chunk of the consumer community, are super disappointed in the absence of these basic features. As said before, Boss had years to perfect this and to learn from competitors to seemingly fail on the software end of things. These aren’t minor issues but enough to warrant a product return. The noise cancelling and music quality are near perfect, but everything else falls short. 

Bose software continues to let me down between these headphones and the SoundTouch app. Not sure who’s in charge of the software but changes need to be made given that Sony, Google, Apple, and Amazon are right on your tails and are infiltrating the music market with arguably better alternatives. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tegan_M

Re: Bose QC Earbuds - Playback Control

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

Hi Sacklunch,

Thanks for reaching out!

The Bose Music app helps you customise your experience, with this, you can add a shortcut which enables you to quickly and easily skip tracks. To use your Shortcut, touch and hold the left earbud.

If you have any further questions, do let us know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
sacklunch
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 11, 2020

I'm hoping someone out there can clarify some things about the controls on the new QuietComfort Earbuds. They look amazing, but is there really no next/previous track controls on the earbuds?  That seems like a basic feature and a HUGE oversight if not there.... I know the user manual says you can set the shortcut to 'skip track' but when listening to podcasts I use the jump forward/back functionality more than anything else.

Tegan_M

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

Hi Sacklunch,

Thanks for reaching out!

The Bose Music app helps you customise your experience, with this, you can add a shortcut which enables you to quickly and easily skip tracks. To use your Shortcut, touch and hold the left earbud.

If you have any further questions, do let us know.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!

View solution in original post

Dave Horne
Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

Registering the QC Ear Buds was mildly confusing.  In the Android software / Connected / Settings / Support / Technical information, the serial number displayed is 17 characters, but when entered in the Bose online registration, it's not accepted.

You have to remove the silicone (?) ear tips and look for a four character serial number.  That's what the Bose online registration form wants to see. 

I have a complaint / suggestion.  It would be great to change the volume level from the ear buds themselves. 

I have a seven year old 4K Samsung TV and there's no way for me to adjust the Bluetooth 'headphone' volume level from the TV. 

I'm actually forced to use an old Logitech wireless headset with built in volume controls if I want to adjust the volume level while watching TV. 

I'm sure this is an oversight from Bose and could be easily implemented by a software update.  

I'm enjoying the Ear Buds and hope for new updates. 

Soundust
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

I think the user wants to know how to get to a previous track ? I have the earbuds now and cannot find a way to repeat or get to a previous track

Audi0ph1Le
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

I pre-ordered my QC earbuds the first day they launched. They arrived today. They have no volume control features. It is a huge let down for me. I have loyally bought and used every model of Bose earbuds for the last 13 years, and this is the first model where I can't control the volume or skip back in a playlist. Even when I double-tap the right earbud to try to pause or play a song, it usually opens the assistant instead of pausing and playing. These headphones do sound good, but what is the point of wireless headphones if we can't control the volume or skip backwards? It never even occurred to me to check to see if they had volume controls since I haven't seen headphones without volume controls for sale anywhere since 2008. Even the $1 headphones in the checkout line at the grocery store have volume controls. I feel like I just bought a Ferrari but then found out it doesn't have a gas pedal.

Tegan_M

Hi Dave Horne,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your QuietComfort Earbuds!

We thoroughly appreciate your feedback regarding volume control and our online registration process. I do apologise for the confusion that was caused here, but are glad you managed to resolve this. 

Your comments will be passed on 😊

Have a great day!

KeyKey
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2020

Great summation of all the QC issues. I literally thought I had missing pages in the instructions manual when I couldn't find information on volume control and the new limited Bluetooth connectivity.  I unfortunately can't return my QC because my old and superior Sound Sport Free got defective and I was able to replace with the protection plan. 

Bose really took a step backwards here.  A firmware update must be worked on.  

Shifo
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 7, 2020

What a fail in design! No volume control, no fwd/prev track controls! Did Bose really expect users to use there phones to do that! What's the point of having a wireless headphones! Honestly, can anyone from Bose come here and tell us how did they think this?!!

I will return them after 1 day of use. 

Bose has to issue a promise for firmware upgrade or else, they will see 90% returns for sure.

Shifo
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 7, 2020

Such a failed design! No volume control, no fwd/prev track controls! Did Bose really expect users to use there phones to do that! What's the point of having a wireless headphones!

I will return them after 1 day of use. 

Bose has to issue a promise for firmware upgrade or else, they will see 90% returns for sure.