Thomas Engstedt
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 18, 2019

Bose Soundsport Free - left issue during call for hearing impaired (one sided deafness)

So, I am partially deaf, and my right ear is the one working the worst, so, it is incredibly frustrating that the phone call is only played in the right ear, and also the announcements. Is there no way to allow the phone audio and audio Cues to be played also in the left earphone? I have to take out the headphones everytime I receive a call, as my hearing is so bad on the right ear.. 

Hopeful for a resolution. 

8 REPLIES 8
Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Bose Soundsport Free - left issue during call for hearing impaired (one sided deafness)

The way I understand it is there are two ways to do the truely wireless earbuds.  With something like the airbuds the phone talks to both earbuds, whereas Bose the phone talks to the right and the right talks to the left.  I've been told they chose this method because it helps provide better stereo sound in particular.  However it can have the weakness of lag.  Certain apps can determine this and compensate (youtube on android tends to have very little/no lag). 

However to prevent this happening on phonecalls and people having a bad experience, the communication mode just goes to the right ear.

As far as I'm aware there is no way to get around this without changing the BT connection they use, which I can't see happening through software.

Re: Bose Soundsport Free - left issue during call

Hello Thomas Engstedt, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

The SoundSport Free headphones have an integrated dual-microphone array located on the right earbud to allow the customer to use them during calls when connected to a smartphone that supports the Bluetooth® HFP profile. Call audio will be heard in the right earbud. In addition to traditional calls, the headphones will work with many apps that use Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), such as Skype or FaceTime.

At this moment in time, there is no way for us to change the bud in which you hear calls, and I do apologize for any inconvenience caused by this. I will certainly pass the feedback from yourself onto the development team so that they can take it on board for future developments of the products. 

I am sorry that there is not more that can be done. 

@Morlock, thank you for providing an input on this thread. I am sure that it helped Thomas to have a greater understanding. 

If either of you have any questions please do let me know. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Fsknight
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 23, 2019

Bose Soundsport Free left earbuds not working during phone calls

I have hearing problems in my right ear. When I have phone calls/messenger/any kind of call only the right earbud works. Is there a way to have them both work please? I love the feel/sound but this feature is make or break thing to me. Thank you. 

Azmiboy
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 24, 2019

Right earbud for calls

This is inarguably one of the dumbest things I have ever had to endure. After using the Apple Airpods and Nubi sport I got the Bose soundsport for my birthday and got pretty excited only to realise that for phone calls only the right earbud works!!!! Why even bother? I don’t understand why you wouldn’t enable both earbuds for phone calls - it’s easier/more practical to use that way. And I can’t  even throw these away now since it’s a gift - what an utter waste of money.

jwhornsby
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

Re: Right earbud only for calls

@Azmiboy - I couldn't agree with you more. I simply cannot believe that a company as advanced as Bose would put out headphones that cost over $100 and they only work in the right ear on phone calls. That is so absurd. I'm upset that I ever bought these, and unfortunately, I'm past the time to return them.

SHAME on you Bose, for creating a product with such a ridiculous restriction.

- J.W. Hornsby, Abingdon, Virginia

dsierra
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 16, 2019

I have the same issue 😞

They are good just to listen music in my case.

Daniel

dorizv
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 9, 2019

Apparently, RHL (Right Hearing Loss) is a common disability which over 5% of the population have.

If Bose would like not to exclude this population, they can resolve this problem by swapping the Master/Slave assignment between the Right and Left buds (Obviously it is a software switch).

See other discussion here:

https://community.bose.com/t5/In-Ear-Headphones/Re-Rout-the-call-from-right-side-to-left-side/m-p/25...

Please let Bose know that this feature is very much missed and voice your request to see it in the next update.

pspears
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 24, 2019

Re: Bose Soundsport Free - left issue during call for hearing impaired (one sided deafness)

I too am deaf in my right ear. Just received the Soundsport Free ear headphones as a Christmas gift. I will either have to ignore the ability to take and make phone calls, or just return them. If there’s any possibility that the function can be swapped to the left ear, I’d love to know so I can keep them. They’re pretty expensive to *just* play music, I can do better with the Apple ear buds that came with my phone. Bose, is there any hope?