KeyKey
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2020

Re: Bose Sport Earbuds less sound quality in comparison with SoundSport Wireless

I have to agree with this in my experience.  The sound quality of the SoundSport Free is far superior to the new QC earbuds.  I was able to tell the difference immediately.  I'v used the SoundSport Free for several years and after getting the QC earbuds, there is no question in my mind that sound quality has devolved.  

It is a huge disappointment that these new earbuds have decreased in quality in almost every aspect.  Sound quality, Bluetooth connectivity ease, volume functions, and even the comfort factor feels different and not for the better.  

davidmelis
Advocate
Registered since

Apr 10, 2017

Re: Bose Sport Earbuds less sound quality in comparison with SoundSport Wireless

Hi @W_Romeo and @Charlotte_G ,

I have been enjoying my new Bose Sport Earbuds and thought I would give my opinion as to sound comparisons as promised. First, let me say - I think the earbuds as a whole are absolutely fantastic. I love the small size, the case, they way everything feels opinion the hand and the ear. I love the quality of the snap when the earbuds are placed in their case. I love how quickly the reconnect to my device when I take them out of the case. I am actually glad that there are no volume controls on the touchpad. I would have so many accidental touches if they did. 

Now to address the sound...

There is nothing in the lows, highs and mids that sound bad. In fact, I think the lows are more accurate than the SoundSport Free. Though, admittedly not as exciting. Yet, I agree that they do not sound as good overall. The sound signature leans toward the “bright” side. They certainly are not overly bright nor harsh, I just prefer a little more warmth. To be honest they remind me of the sound signature of my old QC15 wired over-ear headphones. Which, I thought were the best sounding until I purchased the NC 700.  Now my QC 15 sound like a toy by comparison. But that is just it, isn’t it?  We get used to a sound signature and reject others because they are different.

Finally, if I had to rate the sound of all my Bose headphones (from best to worse), it would be...

1) NC 700 - Nearly perfect!  Better than other $600 headphones that I have owned from predominant brands. Others have some better highs and lows but mids often get lost. Bose is just balanced. 

2) SoundSport Free - Nicely rich and warm. I know that some of the mid-Bass is a couple decibles louder than it should be, but I enjoy the sound signature,

3) QC 20 - Very similar to the SoundSport free but less detailed. 

4) QC15 - certain high frequencies could be harsh and the mids are a little withdrawn.

5) Sport Earbuds - I am liking them!  Definitely sound better than the orognal SoundSport wireless, but not as good as the SoundSport Free. I still prefer these new ones for workouts because of the mallet size.

6) SoundSport (wired) - very great headphones.  Sound tiny when compared to any of Bose’ “powered” headphones. 

7) SoundSport Wireless - They sound great!  Unless you compare them to better Bose products. They still sound better than Airpods 🙂

Anyway, there is my two cents for what it is worth. In the end, I am still amazed how consistently good sounding Bose products are across the board. I know that there are “better” sounding products but you really have to go searching for them and manufactures have such varying degrees of quality through the years. For this reason, I have chosen to stick with Bose. 🙂

W_Romeo
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2020

@davidmelis: Thanks for your review. I’m glad the Sports are more your tasting!

It didn’t felt good with the QC. They are ok, but not the 280 euro’s worth imho. So…I bought the SoundSport Free again! From the first moment it felt good when I heard the earbuds and also the days after. I didn’t had this with the Sport nor the QC, even after intensive use.

This was my simple thought: I use the earbuds for comfort, good connectivity, sound quality and phone calls. The QC don’t sound that well, they have always a hiss sound (I rarely use the ANC) and I can’t make proper phone calls (the microphones can’t filter a lot of ambient sound). Well, then it’s just comfort and connectivity that I’m paying for…

So I thought…why don’t split this in “the best of both worlds”. I use the SoundSport Free for listening music and my AirPods 2 for phone calls. These two combined are the perfect harmony for my demands and….it is less then 280 euro’s! I returned the QC yesterday and will check again after 6 months or so if there are improvements. I’m still a big fan of Bose (also Apple) and believe they can make the proper products…just not with the current Sport and QC earbuds (firmware) at the moment.

Ksaraceno@comcast.net
Participant
Registered since

Dec 16, 2020

I have both the Sport and SoundSport Wireless and I couldn't agree more. The Soundsport Wireless is superior.  I will be returning the newer model.  So disappointed. 

davidmelis
Advocate
Registered since

Apr 10, 2017

i finally purchased the Bose Quiet Comfort Earbuds and at first I thought that the sound quality was poor. The mids lacked texture and subtlety and the highs lacked sparkle. The sub bass sounded really good but made the other tones sound even more sterile. That is until I tried different sized tips. Turns out, I need the largest size!  This fixed the sound for me. It now sounds much more balanced. It is truly the rich, detailed and dynamic sound we have come to expect from Bose. 

So, if you do not like the sound then try the other ear tips sizes first!  

Igor2428
Participant
Registered since

Jan 30, 2020

Indeed SoundSport Free are better for me as well. I think that problem is in earbud position inside the ear. With SoundSport Free i use medium tips and never even tried with other sizes. Sound was good right from the box.  Sport Earbuds tips are little less than SoundSport Free tips, but to get the best sound quality i had to use SMALL tips (with large and medium tips their sound absolutely terrible). If record is good and position of the Sport Earbuds in the ears is fine, than you may hear better sound quality than SoundSport Free. But in most of the cases SoundSport Free are much better than Sport Earbuds for me. Especially during sport activity. 

erezstorch
Participant
Registered since

Oct 15, 2020

I bought today "Bose Sport earbuds" after using the legacy "bose SoundSport-free" model.

Huge Huge Huge disappointment! No questions here!!!  there is No bass compare to SoundSport-free. it not "alive" at all. the only reason I bought them in the first place is that the SoundSport-free has a factory bug. I bought the previous model less than 1.5 years ago.  after 6 months I had a problem with charging. They replaced me with a new one and after another 6 months the same problem. Since 1-year guaranty passed I had to "live" with it.  I can only use them once and charge them an hour before I ran. Afterward, the battery drains for many reasons. not something you can expect from BOSE. however, since the sound was so great I thought the new model will compensate for the bugs and keep the sound.

Can I expect a software update for adjusting maybe bass?