Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 22, 2020

Bose Sports Earbuds single earbud use

Do the new bose sport earbuds come in with a feature to take calls from either left or right earbud? The FAQs mention that there is microphone in both earbuds but doesn't clearly state that either of them can be used independently for taking calls or music. I have long calls all day & would want to be able to switch earbuds to give my ears some rest. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Bose Sports Earbuds single earbud use

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Charlotte_G

Hey @Dink0, thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community.

I hope you are enjoying your new Bose Sports Earbuds! 😁

As mentioned by @Hector_B & @Sam_F, I'd like to reiterate:

We do not recommend just using the left earbud. If you'd like to just use one earbud, the right would be the best. This is because when you pair your Sports Earbuds to your phone, tablet or laptop, the Bluetooth connection occurs between the source device and the right earbud. The signal is then beamed over to the left earbud. So if you were to take out the right earbud and place it on a table, that earbud would go to sleep in about 20 minutes and, when that happens, the left earbud would lose its Bluetooth connection. Similarly, if you were to place the right earbud in the charging case and close the lid, the left earbud would lose its connection immediately.

As for calls, it’s worth noting that the microphone system that picks up your voice is located in the right earbud—another good reason to opt for the right earbud when you feel like only wearing one. 

Just be aware, when you choose to listen to the right earbud only, you won’t be able to access the touch controls on your left earbud.

I don't have any information regarding the ability to switch which earbud allows which controls, but I'll be sure to pass along your request to our development team.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 20, 2020

Bose Sports Earbuds single earbud use

Hi, i wanted to know if you can use the Bose Sport Earbuds with only one earbud? I work in the garden and like to have my music on, but like to only have one earphone in my ear.  Also can you use them without downloading the Bose App?. Kind regards, Nicole

Highlighted

Hello ashaychourey, 

Thanks for posting onto the Community and showing interest in our Sports Earbuds. 

To clarify, the microphones for taking calls are only located in the right earbud. It wouldn't be possible to use the left earbud only for calls. This is also due to the primary/secondary relationship that the earbuds have. 

If you really wanted to use only the left earbud, this can be achieved on a temporary basis. To do this, you will need to ensure that the right earbud remains active, due to the primary/secondary relationship that the earbuds have. The right earbud and device will also need to remain in range. Ways to so this include, keep the charging case lid open or leaving the right bud out of the case altogether. The reason this is on a temporary basis is that the right earbud will enter standby mode after 20 minutes of inactivity and therefore the signal path to the left earbud will shut off. Do remember that the microphone for calls is only found in the right earbud.

If you have any other questions, please do let us know. 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted

Hey @ntatterson,

The Bose Sport Earbuds work in a master/puppet scenario, and techincally speaking you would be able to use the right earbud alone and be able to listen out for calls also. However, your best experience will certainly be when using both buds at the same time. Also, you're certainly able to use this simply by connecting through your device Bluetooth settings - no app needed. However, we strongly recommend downloading the Bose Music app, purely to ensure your product receives all of the needed firmware updates to keep your headphones performing at the highest level. Without using the app you'll miss out on new feature releases and essential upgrades.

Let me know if you have any other queries!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 22, 2020

Thank you Hector for your reply. What is considered Active or connected for the right earbud in this case? Should the right earbud be just out of the case & connected to the phone or should it be plugged in the ear in order for it to be considered active or connected? 

Do both earbuds have their own microphones? 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 20, 2020

Thank you Sam really appreciate the reply.  That's great news I'll be sure to buy them. 😄

Highlighted

You are more than welcome Ashaychourey. 

So an active connection would be both of the earbuds outside of the charging case and connected to the device, or the right earbud in the case with the lid open.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 1, 2020

How can I use just my left earbud while the right one is still in the charging case? It always disconnects after placing the right earbud back in the case. If there is no way to do it, will there be an update for that? Also I understand the microphone is on the right earbud but will there be an update where we can customize which earbud does which shortcuts (stop/play, skip, batter life)?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

I assume you have the Soundsport Frees.  If so, no you can't just use the left and you won't be able to because it would need hardware updates, not firmware.  There are generally two ways to do BT in ears like that. 

One (like the airpods) play to both devices at the same time.  You can use the buds individually and there are some other benefits.

Bose went with the other one, where it connects to the right (the master), which then connects to the left (the slave).  For that reason the mic and controls are all in the right bud.  They did this because at the time it would give you better stereo sound in particular.

So while you can't with the Soundsport Frees, the new version has improved technologies to allow you to use individually.  But I haven't tried them yet so I can't confirm.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 1, 2020

I have the new ones and have the same issue. I think the only way to do it is if I started to play music before I put the right one back in the case the left will still play.