Highlighted
William-Beckford
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 14, 2020

Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones hiss when on

Hi,

I have a pair of Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones which I bought in New York a few months ago. They worked fine until a plane trip last week when the left one developed a hissing noise when the noise cancelling is switched on. I din't register the guarantee when I bought them and now see that I should have kept the packaging to have a serial number if I want to register them now and return them under the guarantee.  Has anyone experienced this issue with their in ear headphones before and if the only option is to return them under the guarantee,  does anyone know if they can be registered  without using the serial number?

I have to say that I am pretty unimpressed that they have only lasted a few months!

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

William B

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones hiss when on

Hi William,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I am very sorry to hear that your in-ear noise-canceling headphones are producing this hissing sound. I would love to help with this.

We can actually identify the headphones using a 4-digit DOM code that is printed on the headphones themselves. You'll still be able to claim the guarantee, if necessary, without the box!

Could you please head over to our product finder, enter your DOM code, and let me know which model of headphones you have?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

William-Beckford
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 14, 2020

Thanks for your quick reply - I really appreciate it.

I'm afraid that I am struggling to see where the code numbers you refer to are on my headphones - they are the in ear noise cancelling ones and I can't see any numbers on either the box which switches the noise cancelling function on and off or on the volume/ on and off part. Could you let me know where I can find it?

Thank you,

Best,

William 

Hi William,

The DOM code is on the left ear of the headphones, to find it you may need to remove the ear tip. It should be printed as shown in the images below.

qc20_dom.jfifQC20 - DOM location

qc30_serial_number.jpgQC30 - DOM location

I hope this helps.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

William-Beckford
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 14, 2020

Thank you - that is a great help. The  4 digit code is [Edited by Moderator] which comes up as Quiet comfort 20 acoustic noise cancelling headphones - apple devices on your page.

Can you let me know what I do next?

Thank again,

William

Hi William,

Thank you for providing that information.

What I would recommend we do next, is check the left ear on your headphones to see if there are any blockages in the ear tip or the mesh surface that might be causing this hissing noise. If there is, then this could all be fixed by giving the headphones a clean. You can find instructions on how to do this HERE.

It would also be a good idea to try the headphones with a few devices, to see if this noise is present all the time, or just with one particular device connected.

If neither of these have any effect on the noise, I would recommend getting in touch with your local support team, as they will be able to help you resolve this issue. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L