Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 1, 2019

Did bose fix audio Lag issue for SoundSport free ?

Did bose fix audio Lag issue for SoundSport free ?

I bought a Bose SoundSport free, 2 days back. I updated to firmware 2.6.0. But I am still getting the audio lag. I called up the customer service for bose. They said this has been fixed with th firmware update and it has to be something to do with my device and they can replace my device for free. But my headphones have great, they soud great look great.

othe sound sport users, is the audio lag issue fixed for you guys? will swithching to a new device fix my issue?

please advice.

Thanks, Shankar  

42 REPLIES 42
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Did bose fix audio Lag issue for SoundSport free ?

Hi Shankar,

Thanks for reaching out. The SoundSport Free use the recently developed TWS (True Wireless Stereo) technology with features that allow L/R stereo separation in a wireless format. To accomplish this the right earbud is designated as the primary and transmits, via Bluetooth, to the left earbud. We have been able to mitigate some of the lag that you describe with firmware adjustments, but as you have noted this is not a perfect solution. You may notice the issue more with specific apps and might not be prevalent in others. 

I would recommend making sure that all of your apps used for playing video remain updated, as with the firmware on your phone. So to answer your question, the issue will not likely change with a replacement headset.

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

Hi,

Are you working on a permanently solution to solve this problem? If so, when do you release the new update?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Domibror,

Thank you for the question. I would recommend visiting btu.bose.com and following the instructions to update your headphones. We were able to mitigate some of the lag in certain apps via an update. 

Please let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

I have updated to the latest version and the lag is still there, no improvements. You know very well that people still have the same issues after updating so why are you not taking this big problem seriously and work on a real solution?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Domibror,

Thanks for responding and trying the update. Could I ask, have you noticed it in more than one app? Os is it one specifically?

Regards,

Tony G

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

The lag is on every single app that requires internet connection, this also happens sometimes when connecting to my mac, the lag is slighty better but still there.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Domibror,

I understand your frustration. The SoundSport Free use the recently developed TWS (True Wireless Stereo) technology with features that allow Left/Right stereo separation in a wireless format. To accomplish this the right earbud is designated as the primary and transmits, via Bluetooth, to the left earbud. This method is not without its tradeoffs, including those associated with radio interference. Bluetooth signals are, by design, encrypted for increased security and use compression algorithms to stream your content. Adding additional compression/decompression segments to the signal path has negative effects on the latency. This is why, for example, phone call audio is played through the right earbud. The latency inherent in the system would cause very distracting delays between the left and right earbuds. This is also why the audio synchronization for video is very dependent on the compression algorithms used. We have been able to mitigate some of the Audio/Video delay with firmware adjustments, but as you have noted this is not a perfect solution. The industry is working to improve the technology as we speak and you should see improvements coming to the mobile world soon. 

We would recommend keeping your headphones and your apps on your phone updated.

Regards,

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

So what is exactly soon? people have been waiting since you launched the product so please be more specific when say soon? Does that mean there will be an update fixing the issues "soon" or what?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

He means that you are stucked with a headphone with a technology that wont be able to provide a no lag experience. "soon" means a new generation and to buy a new pair of headphones. they are in damage control mode. 240 USD for this is not worth it as i see it. the problem is that bose didn't use the Qualcomm APTX LL technology this chip has a really low latency.