Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 2, 2020

Has bose discontinued the $99 wired Soundsport in-ear headphone?

Has Bose discontinued the $99 wired soundsport option? 

I've been buying these wired headphones for nearly 10 years. I use them most hours of most days.

I use them on my PC, then I unplug them from my speakers, and into my phone when I head out of my house. I use them when I am working out at home or at the gym.

Every 2 or 3 years I need to buy a replacement pair. The point of failure is always the place where the wire meets the aux jack. 

Well, my 3rd pair just failed (after 2 years heavy use) and I wanted to get a new pair.

But now I can only see the $120-150  Wireless Soundsport.

I don't like wireless headphones. 6 hours is not enough for me. Not for the amount of time I use them for. And I don't want to dicker around with bluetooth and my PC.

Bose, you're breaking my heart. Those were the ONLY audio device I've used for the the last decade. Anything else just bothers me.

It has the mix of audio quality, comfort, and price that make it the perfect pair of headphones.

Without those headphones I don't know what I will do. 

I don't want your wireless option, it simply doesn't work for me.

I dont want over-ear headphones, they are too cumbersome, and I work out and walk a lot.

And I can't afford replacing $300 noise cancelling in-ear headphones every 2 years.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Has bose discontinued the $99 wired Soundsport in-ear headphone?

Wireless headphones are on the way out because there are too many connectors.  WIth most high end phones no longer supporting 3.5mm, they would hve to make different connections for Lightning, USB-C, maybe USB for computers and then still have 3.5mm for aircraft.  So it's not worth their time to make them different.

The exception for this is around ear headphones, where they can be wireless to the different mobile devices and 3.5mm to aircraft when needed (as they have space).

So while there may be some of the Bose wired in ears in certain stores, the convenience of wireless headphones outweighs any of the disadvantages for most people.

Highlighted

Hey @WiredBoseFan,

I'm pleased to hear of your loyalty and support to our headphones, but if you're not able to find the product on our website, it is likely no longer in retail. As @Morlock states, wireless capability allows us to support all customers with all varieties of devices.

However, if you're running into some trouble with your headphones, be sure to contact your local support team who will be happy to advise on the service options in place. There may be a possibility to swap out your product for something close to what you're looking for. You can find contact information by going to Global Contact Page > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 2, 2020

I used to be a loyal supporter. But if Bose is done with wired in-ear headphones (not counting the $330 noise cancelling ones), then I'm really sadly done with Bose.

Sure, many of the newest model mobile phones/devices use just USB-C these days. My old phone is 3.5mm.  My (2018) Macbook Pro has both USB-C & 3.5mm.

The highest rated PC motherboards manufactured in 2020 have multiple USB, and 3.5mm still, and they are just now adding 1 or 2 USB-C per board.  Many motherboards do not have Bluetooth built in.

Computer stereo systems are 3.5mm. I usually plug my speakers into my motherboard. And when I need to use my headphones, I plug the 3.5mm headphone into the speakers. Then when I leave my desk, I plug the headphones into my phone. 

The Nintendo Switch, and Switch Lite have over 60 million units sold worldwide. And they are still flying off the shelves. Those are 3.5mm and have  NO USB-C. The Switch can not pair with wireless headphones.    Other handheld systems like the 3DS and PSVita use 3.5mm and don't pair with wireless headphones. 

The Bose wired In-Ear headphones were the only audio device I needed apart from my speakers. They were the only headphones I was willing to use. But wireless does not do what I need it to do. And over-ear headphones are too heavy and cumbersome for the amount of time I use them, and the amount of exercise and outdoor activity I do. I am both heavily active at a PC, and heavily active on my feet. I used my Bose wired in-ear pretty much every waking minute. There are no wireless headphones with a battery life long enough for the amount I use them. I don't need headphones with batteries.

Wireless are a little more expensive than the 3.5mm Bose used to sell.

Wireless headphones allow Bose to sell accessory devices like charging cases.

Wireless headphones would encourage someone to own 2 pairs to keep 1 charged.

I think if people are forced to move over to wireless, they will end up spending more money......

But thats just paranoid right?

And all that charging, and draining of the battery means the batteries become the new point of failure.

As far as I can tell the Bose Soundsport In-Ear headphones were sold up until 2018. I would have bought these over and over as long as Bose kept making them.

I just spent $90 on products from one of Bose's competitors. I am not really happy with them. So now I have to go out and waste more money trying to find a new company to support because Bose doesn't want customers like me anymore. I would be happy to give Bose my money but they don't want my money anymore. 

I guess they figure that the added cash flow from the price increase to wireless, and the added sales of accessories will make up for the lost customers like myself. 

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

It's not that Bose decided they don't want your custom, but it is a shrinking customer base.  Consider that if only 5% (just guessing) of their customers want wired headphones, is it worth the cost of their production line to keep that going.  It goes the way of CDs, DVD, even Blu-rays.  Yes they are still out there being sold, but less every year.  There has to come a point where it's not worth the cost.