deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

How can I sleep on my side with my Quiet Comfort 20's

Hi,

Is it possible to use the Bose QC20's for sleeping in bed?
I sleep on my side (right hand). Is there any way of making the QC20's more comfortable for side sleeping?

Cheers,

Thomas.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How can I sleep on my side with my Quiet Comfort 20's

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

Hi Deve52, 

Many thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that the QC20 headphones were not designed to be used whilst sleeping on your side. 

I would recommend looking into the Bose Sleepbuds as these are designed to be used whilst sleeping.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a great day

Leon_C - Community Support

7 REPLIES 7

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

Hi Deve52, 

Many thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that the QC20 headphones were not designed to be used whilst sleeping on your side. 

I would recommend looking into the Bose Sleepbuds as these are designed to be used whilst sleeping.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a great day

Leon_C - Community Support

deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Thanks for that Leon. Much appreciated!
deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Hi again,

Yes, I bought the Sleepbuds. I've tried them on a few times, after updating the firmware. I noticed when I used them, I could still hear the TV.
I thought that there's no way that these sleepbuds will be suitable for my main purpose- to block out the nightly noise from my neighbour, who lives in the flat above me.
I've been using wax and foam earplugs for years now, and I haven't given the sleepbuds a test run yet!
I'm not sure there is enough passive noise isolation for the night time.
I'd be really grateful if you could give me some advice about the buds.

Many Thanks,

Thomas.

Hi there @deve52 , and thanks for getting back to us!

The noise-masking element of the Sleepbuds comes from the seal that is created between your ear and the bud. As such, this is dependant on the size of ear-tip that you use, be that Small, Medium or Large. 

My first suggestion would be to test all of these sizes for each ear to find one that is comfortable and provides the best seal!

The choice of noise that you play through the buds will also help to mask out further noise. Whilst most of these are down to personal preference, there are some louder effects (such as the leaves or water sound effects) that aid further to mask out outside noise.

Lastly, I would suggest that you regularly ensure that the buds are free from wax/build-up, as this can affect both comfort, and the seal that this creates.

Please check the above, and give this another try! Hopefully this will be able to help put your doubts to rest (no pun intended), so please get back to me to let me know how this goes for you!

Liam W

deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Hi, @Liam_W I did give the sleepbuds a bit of a test run the other day- yes, during the day.
I was a bit dimayed that I could still hear my TV at low volume, with the buds at almost max volume- past the warning level, at least.
I read that the sleepbuds work, not by blocking noise out completely, but by using frequencies that 'trick'the brain such that the external, disturbing noise does not register.
I really must try experimenting with them soon.
Many Thanks,

Thomas
@deve52
Highlighted
deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Hi @Liam_W 

Are the Sleepbuds designed to combat/mask/block out impact noise?

I live in a flat below another tenant. I have no real issues with airborne noise- music TV etc. It's the impact noise of hard shoes walking on a hard wooden floor, bang windows cupboards doors etc., that keeps me awake at night.

It's has been bad enough to make mentally and physically unwell.

I'd be ireally nterested in your opinions on this personal perspective on noise disturbance, and the possible role the Sleepbuds could play in mitigating Noise.

Thanks,

Thomas.

@deve52

Hi there @deve52 !

As noted previously in this thread where you asked the same question, there is no definitive yes or no answer here due to the factors involved.

Since that post I have got some personal experience with the Sleepbuds, and can confirm that I apparently didn't hear someone falling up the stairs in my house, so it definitely can block out some impact noise, however Leo in this thread did not have the same experience, hence why the factors involved play a large part.

You may find that using a lower-frequency sound from the app (such as the Campfire or Turbines) has a greater impact due to the lower frequency. If you have a friend or family member who you can ask to be loud while you test the different sounds, this may help you strike a balance you're happy with, and get the sleep that you need when it comes to it 😴!

Please let me know if you have any questions, and let me know how you get on 😊!

Liam W - Community Support