Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

How to tell the difference between a QuietComfort 20 and QuietComfort 20i?

I left my old QC 20s on a plane - aarrggghhh!!!

I bought "Bose Quiet Comfort 20 QC20 2nd GEN (Apple)" on ebay, they arrived promptly. 

Three questions:

1. When playing Spotify the volume buttons do nothing.  Is that normal?

2. I noticed on the inside of the earbuds white printed text saying "Model/Modele: QC20" but I thought the Apple ones were a 20i.  Did I get an Android/Samsung instead of an APple version?

3. Are these the latest model or something old?

Thanks,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: How to tell the difference between a QuietComfort 20 and QuietComfort 20i?

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Charlotte_G

Hi there @JStevans and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your original headset, and that you've been having difficulties using your new set. I would be happy to advise you here!

We did indeed do multiple models of the QC20 headphones. The QC20i versions are intended for use with Apple products, while the standard QC20 headphones are designed for Windows, Android and Blackberry devices. 

We did then do QC20 V2 headphones, where again we did an Apple and Android variant. 

I can confirm for your headset, this would have "QC20" printed on android and "QC20i" for Apple so you may not have the correct variant.

While both headsets will play from each respective device, the on-board controls may not work for the opposite device (e.g. a QC20i would play for an Android Pixel but the controls may not control playback).

With that in mind, I think your lack of control for Spotify may be down to having the wrong variant. I would advise that you get back in touch with the seller or with local Bose support regarding swapping this if this is possible!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or updates.

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Charlotte_G

Hi there @JStevans and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your original headset, and that you've been having difficulties using your new set. I would be happy to advise you here!

We did indeed do multiple models of the QC20 headphones. The QC20i versions are intended for use with Apple products, while the standard QC20 headphones are designed for Windows, Android and Blackberry devices. 

We did then do QC20 V2 headphones, where again we did an Apple and Android variant. 

I can confirm for your headset, this would have "QC20" printed on android and "QC20i" for Apple so you may not have the correct variant.

While both headsets will play from each respective device, the on-board controls may not work for the opposite device (e.g. a QC20i would play for an Android Pixel but the controls may not control playback).

With that in mind, I think your lack of control for Spotify may be down to having the wrong variant. I would advise that you get back in touch with the seller or with local Bose support regarding swapping this if this is possible!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or updates.

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

That is perfectly helpful!  Thank you.

Jay

EDIT: the conflicting information provided by Morlock Wistful Whiz causes me to now label this question unanswered - at least for the moment.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Just to clarify something from your original question.

The QC20 and QC20i are coloured black and grey (it may even look black and white)  teh difference you'll see on them is one remote will have 1 button (android) and one will have three buttons (QC20i - apple)

The V2 will be black and blue on the cable.  So that's an easy way to see if you've got the old or the new. 

V2 are no longer called QC20i, just QC20 for apple or QC20 for android.  I don't beleive either of them say QC20/i on the device itself, however on the V2 remote the android version will either have a "s" (or maybe an android symbol) printed on it near the buttons where the apple version won't have anything.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

Than you for the reply.  I particularly appreciate the clarification about the blue/black cable clearly meaning the unit I received is the latest version.  That helps.

However, now I have contradictory information.  

The reply from Liam_W says "I can confirm for your headset, this would have "QC20" printed on android and "QC20i" for Apple."

But, the reply from Morlock Wistful Whiz says "I don't beleive either of them say QC20/i on the device itself" though my post clearly says the unit I have does have QC20 printed on the earpiece of device itself.

Morlock Wistful Whiz also says "on the V2 remote the android version will either have a "s" (or maybe an android symbol) printed on it near the buttons where the Apple version won't have anything" - my remote has no "S," Android symbol, or any other mark on the inline control (it does have a super complex QR code on a truly teeny label, but I cannot make any sense of it, no text at all).  But, the controls don't adjust volume on either music player or during a phone call (which I confirmed by testing Apple Music and making a phone call).

I note that Liam_W refers to "we" which suggests he is a Bose employee, though perhaps I read too much into his three uses of that one pronoun.

I very much do not want to besmirch the seller or cause them to incur the cost of a return if they did indeed ship me an Apple version.

So, to the core question - how can I tell for certain if the unit I received is an Android or Apple version (though perhaps a not fully working one)?

Thanks,

Jay

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

To be honest I didn't check the earpiece, so it may say it there, but it still probably only says qc20 as they dropped the i from the model number for series 2.

It sounds like yours should be the apple version.

Are you using a 3.5 to lightning adaptor, or going straight into your device?  It is still supposed to work with the adaptor, but I have seen the adaptors fail that side of it.

Highlighted

Hello JStevans, 

I can confirm the version 2 model of the QC20 did indeed drop the i from the QC20 moniker on the product. 

As Morlock mentioned, the series 2 does indeed feature a Blue color accent to signify the series 2 status, and the differentiating factor between the Apple/Android variants can be found on the packaging material with the "Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad" badge appearing on the Apple variant, and "Samsung" and the Android robot appearing on the Android version. 

Finally, to confirm, Made for iPhone variants will always support the in-line control features of Apple devices, whereas the Android variant will typically only allow the play/pause feature to work (alongside the Left/Right audio.)

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2020

I also have this question, and nobody seems to be able to give me a clear answer. I asked Bose support this question earlier today and was told that "20i" is for Apple and "20" is for Android. This is not the case though, as the Bose website lists the "20 for Apple devices" and the "20 for Android devices". When I pointed this out to them, they apologised and said that the 20i is the newer model, and the 20 the older model. They noted the colour difference between them. However, I'm not sure this is correct either, because I bought some for my wife as a present in 2016 and they're the "20" model with a blue highlight on them, whereas my 2011 model (that's just broken and in need of replacement) has a white/grey highlight. I can't remember what model mine were designated as when I bought them, but yes, I think it might have been 20i! When I said this to them they asked someone else to clarify and they said again that the 20i is the new model.

I just want the latest model - surely this can't be too hard a question? Can anyone answer this definitively?

Highlighted

Hi RobManser,

Thanks for the question and I would be happy to help.

@Jeff_G's post has all the information you need about the variations of the QC20 headphones. I'm sorry to hear you were unable to get this information by contacting your local support team.

Your local support team will be able to tell you which variant you have using the serial number from your headphones. You can also check this yourself using our Product Identifier.

The latest versions of the QC20 headphones can be found on our website for Android and for Apple.

I hope this information helps.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2020

Thank you. I've just spoken to support and what they told me is the same as Jeff's post above: the QC20 is the latest model and the 20i discontinued. The support agent I spoke to this morning was clearly wrong. Thankfully I didn't listen to them! I've now bought a pair of QC20s and look forward to them arriving in the coming days.