Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 11, 2019

Re: I can’t change the nickname of Soundsport Free through Bose Connect App

Could you please tell me if your technical team came back with any solution for this, going to local support should not be an option after paying this much for the device. Really not acceptable.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

Hi,

Could somebody respond here, please? This issue is being in the open state from so many days and no further updates about it. Just giving the same workarounds is not helping anyone here.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello Vinkay,

Thanks for posting in the community. I understand your frustration with this issue, there is not an update at the moment but we are chasing the raised ticket up with the development team. As soon as we have an update we will make you aware, we apologize and ask for you to bear with us while we look into this issue. 

Should you need anything else please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe_C 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 6, 2019

Hello,

I'm having the exact same issue. I've tried over and over to find a way to change the nickname and it won't change. The earbuds keep disconnecting-reconnecting-then I'm back at square one. I went through the app, I tried the "reset" (disconnecting, then reconnecting power), I've "forgotten the device", but the nickname keeps showing up. 

What I want to know is why is this such a long-running issue? Given how much people pay for Bose products, one would assume that something like this is a quick fix, but apparently they can't be bothered to do this. If a customer wants to give their earbuds to someone else, or if they decide to sell them, then they should be able to at least rename the product so that the next consumer can enjoy the product fully. I, and many others, just want to be able to change the nickname, why is that such a problem?

All I know is that I'm beyond disappointed  and frustrated with Bose, if they can't be bothered to fix this. I went through their customer service text line, but no response there either. I tried to call but no answer. Kind of says a lot so far, doesn't it? Maybe it's the frustration talking, but come on, when you pay over $200 for these, you kind of expect them to at least, oh I don't know...work properly. I don't care what you guys need to do, but could you please address and resolve this.

Highlighted

Hi Boots, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. Have you attempted to disconnect the buds via the app and reconnect with the Left Earbud in the case? I recently tested this and had the issue with renaming at the start but after disconnecting and doing this, I was able to rename the headset. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 6, 2019

Yes. I just tried what you suggested:

- I paired the earbuds with my phone

- I disconnected the earbuds using the app (and heard, "ready to connect")

- I placed the left earbud in the case

- I reconnected using only the right earbud

- Tried to rename the earbuds

- No luck. The earbuds still kept the old nickname, even when I tried renaming it manually AND using one of the nicknames that they gave me.

Highlighted

Hi Boots,

Thank you for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your Soundsport Free, I'll be happy to assist you.

I would recommend updating the firmware of your earphones. I have included the link below with instructions to assist you.

https://bose.life/2CHF1Op

Let me know how you get on!

Kindest,

Jessie O

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 6, 2019

I have tried all of the following procedures

1. Update software (it's kind of the first thing you should do anyway, so this is obvious)

2. Uninstall/reinstall the Bose Connect App

3. Disconnect/Reconnect the earbuds through the phone

4. Disconnect/Reconnect the earbuds through the app (must connect to the phone first, though)

5. Connect to phone - Disconnect through the app - replace left earbud only in the charging case - reconnect to phone

6. Uninstall app - cleared the bluetooth connection list on earbud - reinstall the app - reconnect to earbuds

7. Uninstall app - cleared the bluetooth connection list on earbud - cleared the bluetooth connection list on the phone - reset the phone - reinstalled app - reconnected to the phone

Absolutely none of these have worked, and I have now spent more time trying to change the stupid name of these earbuds for 2 days. I am also in contact with a "long-time representative and technician from Bose" who says these "cool" earbuds really are awesome, and has never heard of this ever happening before. My question is if they're so great, why is such a simple process such as this, so amazingly and astoundingly difficult?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 13, 2019

Hey there so I was having the same issues what I did was
rename them thru the app
Went to my setting
Went to Bluetooth
On the device
I clicked on “forgot this device” (on iPhone)
Then it automatically found my new nick name and I connected them!

I hope I explained myself correctly
And I hope it helps!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 6, 2019

Yeah, I tried every one of those. What you did was attempt #7 on my list.

Also, you said that you went thru(sic) the app and that it found your newly nicknamed earbuds. But you can't nickname the earbuds or change the old nicknames any other way than through the app anyway. Even if you click on "forget this device" on the list of devices on the bluetooth list, it'll still find the earbuds with the previous nickname that you were trying to change anyway and just reconnect that way instead, but with the nickname that you didn't want.

For example, let's say you nicknamed your earbuds "buds of awesome" or something cringey like that. Then, when you want to change the nickname, you should be able to do so through the app just by clicking on the name of the device and then tapping "change nickname" or something like that. The problem that many (and yes, there are many people who have gone through this) users are running into is that the nickname of the earbuds aren't staying put and the earbuds are retaining the original cringey nickname picked. Doesn't matter if you try to make the phone "forget this device" or if you clear the list on the earbuds themselves...the app doesn't work and the earbuds cannot change the nickname.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired from dealing with this nonsense because it doesn't sound like they're going to do anything to try to rectify this little software bug.