Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2021

LED Status Lights on QC® Earbuds Charging Case give a wrong power indication

I used to have great experiences with Bose products but in the last 2 months alone I did 2 returns for different products and will now have to do a 3rd one for the new QC Earbuds. It's become a very frustrating and time-consuming experience.
Getting the once impeccable Bose quality nowadays feels almost like winning a lottery, especially after going through other issues on the forum.

I'll contact the support team tomorrow but leaving this entry for others who may come across the same problem or in case the live support staff doesn't flag the issue as serious.

---

Bose product name

Bose QuietComfort® Earbuds

Country

DE

Firmware Version

App Version

Bose Music App 4.2.4

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on
iOS 14.3 on iPhone 7

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

TL;DR: Charging Case status lights don't work properly or give a wrong indication.

--
The Charging Case indicates 3 (sometimes 2) lit power LEDs then suddenly shuts off after a while; no charge/power, no lit LEDs and Bluetooth button stops working.

When the case is plugged in for charging afterwards (using the original Bose USB-C cable), the status lights start pulsing on the 2nd or 3rd LED directly.

What environment do you experience the issue in?

All kinds of environments with standard room temperature

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Right off the bat, on the very first use after purchase and any subsequent usage.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

- Installing the latest firmware/software updates

- Resetting the product (as described here) more than 3 times

Thanks for taking the time.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: LED Status Lights on QC® Earbuds Charging Case give a wrong power indicator

Hey @Iarsyaz, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Bose Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with the case of your QC Earbuds. 

Can you confirm if the earbuds are charged correctly? Or is this just the case?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2021

Hey @Jessie_O , thanks for the swift response!

The earbuds are always charged correctly (and they are great by the way). I think it's only the case that is problematic.

Surely, when the case LED status lights suddenly go from 3 to none, the earbuds don't charge much or at all.

@larsyaz, when this happens, how long does it take to show the full LED's? Also, what percentage were the headphones when putting them in the case vs when the lights glow fully charged?

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2021

Hey @Vicky_W,

how long does it take to show the full LED's?

I haven't timed that unfortunately.

what percentage were the headphones when putting them in the case vs when the lights glow fully charged?

The earbuds were once out of battery (blinking red). After leaving them in the case (it had 3 LEDs on) for +30mins, I came back to find them still on low battery and the case completely off. A couple other times, they were at 70-80% battery. Again, putting them in the case (with 2-3 LEDs on) gave them a little charge, as far as I remember, before the case completely ran out of juice.
I didn't quite understand what you mean by "vs when the lights glow fully charged".

@larsyaz, that information was super helpful. I too agree there is an issue with your charging case and we may need to replace it for you. The best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and explore the service options for your headset. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. If you are in the US or UK you can also reach out via Facebook or Twitter and one of our team can help you there. 

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2021

Thank you @Vicky_W

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2021

Hey @Vicky_W, @Jessie_O

I got a new pair (replacement) today and the same issue is there again. This is truly discouraging and disappointing.

Here's the series of events:

1. Re-installed the latest version of Bose Music App
  2. Out of the box, earbuds battery level: 75%, charging case Status Lights: 4 LEDs on.
  3. Used the earbuds til they had 50% battery then placed them back in the charging case.
  4. Came back 20mins later: charging case is completely off and earbuds are still at 50%. I assume they barely got any charge, if any.
  5. Plugged the case in to charge it (of course using the original Bose USB-C cable). Status lights started pulsing on the 3rd LED directly.
  6. Left the case to charge until all 5 power LEDs are lit. Took 1.5-2 hours; way less than indicated here, especially that I expected it to be fully depleted and that it may take 30 minutes before the LEDs even turn on.

Something seems to be seriously wrong and this is not an isolated instance (please see here [CC: @Hector_B & @Charlotte_G], here [CC: @Alex_S ] and here).

I don't want to give up on Bose so easily but I don't know what else to do now except returning them for good. Is this something that's possible to get fixed with a firmware update? Is it a permanent hardware defect?

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2021

@Florent  & @Ahb., are you still experiencing the same issue?

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2021

Another test case:

1. Earbuds are used until they're low on battery (10%). Case was fully charged (5 LEDs) and unplugged.
  2. Earbuds placed in the case for charging (~30mins)
  3. Earbuds charge to 90%. Case still shows 5 power LEDs lit.
  4. Earbuds are then left to complete charging to 100%. Case shows 4 lit LEDs.