Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

My QC30 ANC function is degraded after update from 1.3.6 to 3.0.3

I have a problem of ANC function after firmware update

I can hear other people's voice, vacuum cleaners noise etc.

I want to go back to version 1.3.6 or less.

From korea

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: My QC30 ANC function is degraded after update from 1.3.6 to 3.0.3

Hi EXAMAN, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your headphones and would love to assist you further with this. 

Firstly, I would suggest that you adjust the ANC level on the inline remote via the Up and Down arrows on the side of the remote to adjust the ANC level. I would also recommend that you perform a reset on the headphones via: 

• Power off your product, then wait 30 seconds
  • Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait five seconds
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset, then wait one minute
  • Power on your product.

I look forward to your reply and if any other community members have had and resolved this issue please let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Participant
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

Unfortunately
There is no change. It's exactly the same

I would appreciate it if you could tell me another way.

@Hector_B wrote:

Hi EXAMAN, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your headphones and would love to assist you further with this. 

Firstly, I would suggest that you adjust the ANC level on the inline remote via the Up and Down arrows on the side of the remote to adjust the ANC level. I would also recommend that you perform a reset on the headphones via: 

• Power off your product, then wait 30 seconds
  • Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait five seconds
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset, then wait one minute
  • Power on your product.

I look forward to your reply and if any other community members have had and resolved this issue please let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Highlighted

Hello EXAMAN, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your headphone's ANC. Downgrades are not available for any of our products as firmware updates typically bring much-needed bug fixes and security patches to ensure optimum performance. 

With regards to hearing the sounds of people/vacuum cleaners, is this only when you are not listening to music? We have tested many different models of noise cancelling headphones at our office and all headphones allow voices to be heard through if you are not listening to music - it's virtually impossible to completely reduce non-continuous sounds as they do not give the circuit inside the earcups enough time to invert the phase of the sound. Continuous sounds allow for a delayed overlap which allows the original sound from a few milliseconds beforehand to supress the current live ambient sound. 

While this is a third party video, I'd strongly recommend watching this video to get a better understanding of how Active Noise Cancelling works, and what it works best with. 

I hope this helps, and should anyone else have similar issues, please feel free to join the conversation. 

Kind regards,

Jeff G

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

Thank you for your kind reply.

I am an Audiophile listening to music on a Hi-Fi audio system and I think I have a well trained hearing.

In other words, I am confident that I feel a small change in sound.

Here are some examples of my bad experiences.

case 1.

I enjoy watching YouTube lessons while cleaning.
As you may know, the noise of a vacuum cleaner noise is repetitive and continuous.
In the past, I enjoyed the YouTube lessons by removing this noise, but now I can't hear it well.

case 2.

I used QC30 to concentrate on reading.
At that time, I did not listen to music, just power on QC30
The QC30 eliminated some of the conversation around me with some white noise.
White noise is now weakened, but the voices of people around me are amplified.
So it's hard to concentrate on reading.

case 3.

I listen to music or watch YouTube while commuting on the subway.
Currently I can only hear the volume much higher than before.

In particular, The voice band of a person is not well removed, but rather slightly amplified.

Therefore my ears are so tired and sore...
I'm sorry for saying bad things.........

If the change cannot be measured technically, I suggest introducing a Mean Opinion Score into the human ear.

Kind regards,

EXAMAN

Highlighted

Hello EXAMAN, 

Many thanks for your reply. 

I appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my previous message. 

I'm very sorry to hear you are having this type of experience with the product. The QC30 are actually my personal daily choice of headphones, (I prefer in-ears) and have been for the past two years. As I hope you can appreciate, I use these on an almost daily-basis, and perform tests when issues are reported, regularly. From version 1.1.9 I have always been able to hear speech through the headphones, when no music is playing. I have also just tested the headphones with a vacuum cleaner and the sound isn't completely eradicated. 

Have you recently changed the StayHear tips for the headphones? Not achieving a good seal can have a negative impact on the performance of the product as there is a passive element that also comes into play. 

Additionally, if you haven't already, please try unpairing the headphones from your device, and create a new connection. This may potentially also help. 

If you believe there is an excessive difference between the previous iteration of the firmware and the latest, I would kindly recommend reaching out to support in your country to discuss service. Details can be found here.

Kindest,

Jeff G

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Hi Bose,

I am from China, and an user of QC30.

I would like to support EXAMAN and I also shared the same experience of the downgrade of ANC after upgrade to 3.0.3 recently.

I have went through the description of EXAMAN, I would like to fully support his/her statement. And I don't think you have answer his/her question directly.

The ANC downgrade was felt in the same use scenario as he/she described watching youtube while vacuuming. The outside, configurations are exactly same. 

I understand that you hold faith in your recent firmware release. But you should count us as report of possible failure in your new release. And see if there's any improvement can be done in later version. That's how you treat the bug/uncomfortable report from the community not to dodge the problem.

I would also go to one of your service center to seek assistance.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 3, 2019

I recently opened a thread on the forum asking whether I should upgrade to 3.0.3 on my QC 30. In one of the recent replies, a user asked me to check for an update via btu.bose.com by connecting the QC30 to a computer if you are already on 3.0.3. His voice prompt firmware was at the previous version and upgrading that helped him resolve the issue with ANC. 

In my case, even though I am at 2.7.6 when I connect my QC30s to a laptop, it shows I am at 1.1.9 which is strange. It seems the OTA upgrades might be the culprit here.

It might be worth trying in your case too. You may also try going to advanced mode pressing 'a', 'd', 'v', 'Up Arrow' and 'Down Arrow' and try flashing the said firmware once.

I hope this resolves your issues with the ANC. Please do report back once you test it out. This might help everyone who has updated but experiencing crippled ANC.