Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dryoho
Participant
Registered since

Sep 14, 2020

New QuietComfort Earbuds charging

From the new product description I understand that the earbud charging case has a USB-C connection and the supplied charging cord is a USB-C to USB-A. What are the Voltage/Amperage limitations, if any, for charging the case from a USB-A power source? Is the charging case compatible with charging from a USB-C Power Delivery (PD) source (e.g. wall charger, PD battery) using our own USB-C to USB-C cable?  If it is compatible with PD charging, what are the compatible V/A/W combinations or could the case be safely charged with a PD battery source that has trickle charge capability?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: New QuietComfort Earbuds charging

Author Accepted Answer selected by dryoho

Hi dryoho,

Welcome to the Community, thanks for posting!

It's great to hear you are interested in the new QuietComfort Earbuds! The charging case for the earbuds has an input rating of 5V - 1.2A, so as long as your power source is rated for this you will be fine. I see no reason why you couldn't use a USB-C to USB-C cable if your power source supports it, just make sure any power supplies you use are rated for 5V - 1.2A to make sure it charges correctly.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Keith_L
Community Manager

Author Accepted Answer selected by dryoho

Hi dryoho,

Welcome to the Community, thanks for posting!

It's great to hear you are interested in the new QuietComfort Earbuds! The charging case for the earbuds has an input rating of 5V - 1.2A, so as long as your power source is rated for this you will be fine. I see no reason why you couldn't use a USB-C to USB-C cable if your power source supports it, just make sure any power supplies you use are rated for 5V - 1.2A to make sure it charges correctly.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

Bobby123
Participant
Registered since

Oct 4, 2020

Hi, is it safe for me to use my MacBook Pro USB-C charger (61W) to charge the new Bose QC earbuds charging case?

The output specifications on the charger read: “20.3V/3A (USB PD) or 9V/3A (USB PD) or 5.2V/2.4A”.

I just want to make sure it is not going to deliver too much power, ie, the headphones will only draw the power that they need.

Many thanks

Edzzik
Participant
Registered since

Oct 5, 2020

What wattage should I look for in a wired and wireless charger?

Vicky_W

Hey Bobby123, 

Thanks for choosing Bose! 

I'd love to help. You will be able to use the 5.2V one. The others would be too powerful. You will need the same voltage as the specs, and the Amps to be the same or higher.

I hope this helps!

Edzzik
Participant
Registered since

Oct 5, 2020

What wattage should I look for in a wired and wireless charger? I want to get the fastest charger without overpaying for more than the case can handle.

thanks!

Charlotte_G

Hey @Edzzik, thanks for posting!

The input rating for the QuietComfort Earbuds is 5V  - 1.2A. You can use any Qi-compatible third-party wireless charger. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Edzzik
Participant
Registered since

Oct 5, 2020

Thanks. What about watts? There are 10w wireless chargers and there are 50w wireless chargers. 

Tegan_M

Hi Edzzik,

The wall charger we offer is 5V, 1A (5 Watts). The manual shows the input rating for the product is 5V, 1.2A (6 Watts).

A 10 or 50 Watt Qi charger can handle up to its specified wattage, which means a 10 or 50 Watt Qi charger can handle the 5 (or 6) Watts recommended for QC Earbuds.

The slowest charging Qi charger is 5 Watts, which is why we say the QC Earbuds can charge with any Qi charger. 😊

I hope that helps!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
pwjone1
Participant
Registered since

Oct 24, 2020

@Tegan_M wrote:

Hi Edzzik,

The wall charger we offer is 5V, 1A (5 Watts). The manual shows the input rating for the product is 5V, 1.2A (6 Watts).

I have to say that I cannot find a Bose branded charger in the store.  Please post a link.

[It would have maybe been better to have included a charger in a product at this price point.]

What I found, laying about, is some chargers for Apple equipment.   All are 5V, but it looks like they are 1A (5W), 2.4A (12W) and 3.6A (18W).   It seems to indicate above that 5W would be fine (I assume that the charge times are going to go up a bit), but would the 12W, 18W, and 20W be OK?  If Bose does not offer a power adaptor, would be good to have some suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.