Bose product name

Bose sport open earbuds

Country

USA

Firmware Version

1.1.2-2174+132ebd5

App Version

Bose music 4.4.6

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
Moto power, Android 11

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

The sound cuts out for a moment frequently as if I have a poor Bluetooth connection, even if the streaming device is right beside the buds. This is with using apps like Hoopla or Smart Audiobooks which are playing pre-downloaded sound files

Notably streaming music on Spotify or taking a call doesn't seem to give me the same issue (or at least not as bad)

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Everywhere 

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Out of the box it's given me this issue

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I made sure I don't have the same issue with other Bluetooth devices - I do not get this issue with Bose Frames (or other non-Bose products)

I updated the firmware to the most recent version, tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Bluetooth connection, unpaired and re-paired, reset to factory settings, contacted support and had them send a new pair which had the same issue

10 REPLIES 10
Vicky_W

Re: Open earbuds - sound cutting out

Hello tblancha, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am sorry to hear you are having some connection issues with specific apps and your Open Ear earbuds. As it is just with these particular apps, and you have tried a different set of earbuds too, have you spoken with the app companies at all? Do you know if there are any specific requirements they need? Also, I note you said you do not have the issue on your Frames. Have you tested these apps with the Frames at all? I would be interested to know the outcomes. 

I look forward to your reply. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
tblancha
Participant
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

Sorry if my original post was not clear - I do not have the same issue with the frames. I can use the same apps and they sound perfectly fine, no cutting out, with the frames.

tblancha
Participant
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

Also, looks like it does happen with Spotify, I hadn't listened using it for a long period before and must have gotten lucky to not have it happen when I tested it out for a minute

Vicky_W

@tblancha, thanks for getting back to me on this. I note you have only used the Moto power, Android 11 with the headphones. Do you have a secondary Bluetooth device you could try them with? Do they have issues with the secondary device?

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
tblancha
Participant
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

Interesting - looks like I don't have the issue with my moto G8. I'm not sure why my moto g power has this issue with the open ear buds but not the frames or my car or other blue tooth speakers - any clue?

Marvin_B

Hi tblancha.

Thank you for getting back to us.

I can only think that it is due to Bluetooth compatibility.

The Bose Sport Open Earbuds has version 5.1 and support pairing profiles A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, BLE.

Please to check your phone's Bluetooth specs.

tblancha
Participant
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

My phone has Bluetooth version 5.0, A2DP, LE 

Jessie_O

Hey tblancha,

Thank you for confirming. 

I find it strange that you are only experiencing this issue with one of your devices. 

I see in your original post that you have disconnected and reconnected which is great. But have you cleared the paired devices? I would recommend doing this by pressing and holding the button on the right earbud. I would also suggest deleting the pairing on your source device before reconnecting like a new connection. 

Let me know! 

tblancha
Participant
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

I've tried resetting my phone's Bluetooth, which reset all pairing. I've cleared the paired devices on the earbuds. I've tried on a second pair of earbuds (I had the first pair replaced since I thought there must be a defect with the first pair). None of this made a difference.