Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

Problem using Bose QC20 with an AV receiver

I recently purchased a new set of QC20 headphones, and have had different issues when trying to use them with my AV receiver. The AV receiver is a Yamaha RX-V385 if that's important.

-If I try using a 3.5mm audio extension cable that has 2 black lines on the connecting end, I get a loud hum when I turn on the headphone power.

-If I try using a 3.5mm audio extension cable that has 3 black lines on the connecting end, the hum is gone, but the volume on the left side is significantly lower.

-If I connect the headphones directly to my AV receiver without an audio extension cable (6.5mm stereo adapter is still required), I still get low volume on the left side.

-When using the headphones with my IPod, both sides have equal volume levels. This was attempted with and without the 3.5mm extension cable that has 3 black lines on the connector end.

My assumption at this point is that the headphones won't work properly with a standard 6.5mm stereo adapter, and that I need a specialized 6.5mm adapter with 3 black lines on the connector end, much like all the other combinations that have worked thus far. I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a workable solution for this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

Re: Problem using Bose QC20 with an AV receiver

Author Accepted Answer selected by Aradesh

I may have found a solution for this issue that doesn't involve buying more Bose products. I've ordered a 4 pole to 3 pole 3.5mm cable. The comments on the product show that it should deal with my issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

I would suggest using the Bose airline adapter (either before the 2 band extension, or after the 3 band extension).  As you probably know those three bands are for left/right/remote.  This adapter was designed to remove the remote from the equation when plugging into Airline armrests (most generic airline adapters won't do this).  I have noticed that this also benefits some amplifiers as well.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

The airline adapter won't work for this problem. I'm connecting my headphones to an audio video receiver meant for home use, and it requires a single 6.5mm connector for the headphones. The only 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapters I've found are intended for stereo headphones with no remote.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

I've done a bit more research and noted that the audio cable for the QC35II only passes audio and removes the microphone ability. I wonder if I could use that cable in conjunction with a female to female 3.5mm adapter in order to connect my QC20 headphones to my AV receiver. This should only pass audio if I'm correct. My next problem would be finding a female to female 3.5mm adapter that's intended to be used with headphones that have a microphone. I'd appreciate any input on my idea in case I'm missing something that would cause this not to work.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by Aradesh

I may have found a solution for this issue that doesn't involve buying more Bose products. I've ordered a 4 pole to 3 pole 3.5mm cable. The comments on the product show that it should deal with my issue.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Hopefully that works, but what I meant was to use the airline adapter in conjunction with the 6.5 mm adapter.  The airline adapter works as a 1 or 2 "prong" adapter.  So you would use it in the single 3.5mm mode and plug it into the 3.5-6.5mm adapter and the mic is removed.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

I'll keep that in mind should my fix not work. Thank you for the clarification.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

So, I tried the 4 pole to 3 pole adapter I mentioned earlier and it kind of works, but not in an acceptable fashion. In order to get stereo, I have to hold the cable tight to the connector, since it goes back to low volume on the left side if I let go. Guess I'll be buying the Bose airline adapter as you suggested.