Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 19, 2019

QC-30 right ear noise

My headphone's right earbud sometimes produces a large howling noise after it is turned on for about twenty minutes. It would suddenly wake me up if I wear it before sleep.

I bought my QC-30 headphone in August 2018 on Amazon and lost original package.

I was wondering what should I do next.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: QC-30 right ear noise

Hi there, 

Thank you for reaching out to us!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with your QC30's, I'll be happy to help you! 

This is certainly unusual. Have you tried updating the firmware? You can do this by clicking the LINK HERE on a laptop or PC and following the on-screen instructions. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 19, 2019

Hello,

I have already updated my firmware by Bose Connect on my iphone which took quite a long time. Do I still need to try it on PC? After updating the issue still occurs from time to time.

Highlighted

Hi Myquist,

As long as your headphones are on the latest firmware then that is fine. The latest firmware is 3.0.3.

As you have mentioned that it is only ever the right ear that does this, after 20 minutes of use, but only sometimes, have you noticed any pattern to when this does happen? As you have mentioned using the headphones while trying to sleep, is this the main time you see this happening?

It does sound like your headphones are feeding back from how you are describing this. Blocked ports on the earbuds can cause a feedback-like squealing sound as well as constant pressure on the earbuds when wearing them. As such I would definitely recommend checking the openings on the back of the earbuds are clean and free of debris.

I look forward to hearing how you get on!

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 19, 2019

Thanks for your instructions. Yes that's the main time it happens. The firmware is 3.0.3 and there is no debris in USB port(I am not sure if you are referring to USB port). I will do some tests by wearing it out of bed to see if the pressure causes the problem.

Thanks for the update Myquist!

It's not the USB port on the headphones I was referring to, it's the openings on the back of each earbud. These are the openings for the microphones that handle the noise-cancellation, so if they are blocked it can cause some issues with the performance of the noise cancellation. I do apologize if I wasn't clear enough on this before!

Let me know how your testing goes!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 19, 2019

I checked port and it looked clean.

It looks like the noise is triggered by playing certain sound. Once triggered, I have to power off my headphones to get rid of it. Turning off the sound I am playing does not help.

Highlighted

Hey @Myquist,

What do you think the certain sound is that's causing the trigger of the howling? Is it a certain source of audio that you frequently play?

Also, have you tried a reset on the headphones as shown HERE? This will clear any underlying issues so let me know if that helps you at all.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 19, 2019

Because it only appears when I play a certain source of audio while others are fine. I will try reset and give you update.