Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 1, 2020

QC Earbuds Google Assistant - Galaxy s20

Love the new QC Earbuds, just picked them up today.

Only gripe is on Galaxy phones, in Bose App the only assistant available is the device assistant - Bixby, I don't use Bixby and use Google Assistant, will there be a feature added later that will allow to switch the assistant or even just to activate the mic with the long press so I can say "Hey Google".

It's really inconvenient otherwise to having to take your phone out of the pocket to use a voice assistant, and Bixby won't just open google for you.

I know this option is available on other Bose headsets, would make sense if it was added to support these headphones as well.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 1, 2020

Re: QC Earbuds Google Assistant - Galaxy s20

Also to make sure I am clear, google assistant, is set up as primary assistant on my phone. But when I use the long hold on the headset, bixby still pops up.

Highlighted

Hey Dvenus, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome! 

Regarding your query, the earbuds will look for the native voice assistant on the connected device when you activate it. The QC earbuds do not have a voice assistant built into them, the earbuds activate the assistant on the phone. This is irrespective of which assist you have selected as your primary. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out to us again! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 29, 2018

QuietComfort Earbuds Default Voice Assistant

Having just received my new earbuds today, I am attempting to get them set up. Based on the forums I've seen, the EQ may be implemented at a later date when bugs are worked out and there is no direct volume control. I generally use voice assistant to adjust volume and manage timers for work, however I cannot seem to get the new Quiet Comfort earbuds to work with Alexa, my preferred voice assistant. The setup says it uses the system's default voice assistant which is something set in the android settings, however it only activates Bixby regardless of my default setting being Alexa.

Is there a better way to set this up or, in the event there is no support for voice assistant alternatives, is there any current plans to implement that support in the future through firmware updates?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 1, 2020

Thanks for the reply!

That's fine, but are there plans in the future to have the button pull up the preferred assistant from the phone?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 29, 2018

This is the same issue I am having. The earbuds working as a pass-through to the phone assistant is fine, however it activates Bixby even when another assistant is set as default in the phone's settings. So as of now, it does not use the default assistant on the S20, it uses Bixby exclusively which is a problem.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

Same for me. I'm NOT using Bixby and I can't trigger Google Assistant.

Samsung Galaxy S9

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2020

Following this topic too. Just received my earbuds and surprised they call out Bixby instead of Google Assistant. Come on Bose, who uses Bixby? I know that is my Samsung device assistant but is not what I was expecting given other Bose headphones give flexibility to choose which assistant answers. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 7, 2020

Does anyone know if you can disable the call for assistant function off the earbud?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 15, 2020

• Screenshot_20201015-182851_Bose Music.jpg

Same problem here. I have the qc earbuds and cannot activate Google Assistant on my Galaxy S20 Ultra. And no, you can't say it is not installed or not my primary voice assistant. I also have the QC 700 and using Google Assistant with no problem. I give voice commands in both Swedish and English. Notifications is dictaded in my ear, also in preferred language. When I press right lower button it's dictated to me in detail.
  • I never use Bixby... Still, what ever I do, Bixby is the Assistant that keeps talking to me in the earbuds on the Google Assistant settings I can choose and adapt QC700 but QC Earbuds doesn't even show up as an option. Likewise, in the QC Earbuds settings when choosing assistant, the only option showing up is what you see in the attached file. For the 700:s, I have that standard one, Google Assistant or Alexa (albeit not available in my region (Sweden)) . Whereas I obviously have chosen Google Assistant. 
  • So, something is clearly wrong and I hope that you can fix it in a software update, as well as an equaliser?