Chunqian
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2020

QC earbuds microphone picks loud background noise during calls

While on a call, I can hear all the background noises over and above my wife’s voice. It almost seems like the mics are purposely picking up more distant and faint noises and amplifying them

34 REPLIES 34
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: QC earbuds microphone picks loud background noise during calls

Hi Chunqian,

Welcome to the Community, thanks for posting!

When using the QC Earbuds on a call, they use a specially designed microphone array on the right earbud to pick up the sound of your voice while rejecting most of the noise around you. If you are finding you hear more background noise over the voice, it likely means the buds are not sitting quite correctly in the ear, leading to the mic array being off target from the mouth.

I'd recommend getting your wife to try some of the other sizes of the StayHear Max tips that come with the earbuds to ensure the best possible fit and performance. We do have a handy guide HERE that will help determine the best possible fit from the ear tips.

Let me know if this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
guy80
Participant
Registered since

Nov 5, 2020

same thing here - it's not the earpiece size and I did pair it via the Bose Music app as instructed. Returning these for Airpods...which I really do not want to do.

Also - this is similar to the issue I had with the QC30 earbuds - not sure what is wrong with Bose and their mics

mcnaugha
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 9, 2019

QC Earbuds - Hearing my breathing like the mic is on

Just got the QC earbuds. Should I be hearing my breathing and other skull sounds as though the mic is on and feeding the sounds back into my ears? It’s rather distracting.

Don’t experience this with my 700’s.

maxkelly22
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 13, 2019

What environment do you experience the issue in?

Background noises are amplified to the other person on the receiving end of my calls made with the QC noise canceling earbuds. It seems to be talked about a lot online, but I do not see any indication that it will be addressed in a firmware update. Will it be? I thought CNET was very gracious by saying the call quality was ok, but not the best. I love bose, but I think its terrible call quality especially for their highest end earbud. This was an issue with other bose earbuds I have had as well unfortunately. I have to take my earbuds off for half off my calls if there is any noise going on around me because it annoys people I talk to so much. I am not talking about an environment with a lot of noise. Any car going passed you sound like your in a tunnel or something with how loud it is. To me this should easily be the highest priority in terms of the bose teams firmware updates. Please let us know if this is something you are going to try to work on?  Let me finish on a good note... The headphones sounds amazing and the noise canceling ability is top notch and bose continues to be one of the

best in the business.

Bose QuietComfort Earbuds

Firmware Version

(1.0.7-9846+620b71c

App Version

(4.2.4)

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

All IPhones

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Always an issue. I have had two pairs because I lost a pair and it was like this with both. 

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Tried to turn off noise canceling and how much of my voice I can hear and it didnt help.

kylered
Participant
Registered since

Dec 17, 2020

Hey there.

I recently brought Bose quietcomfort and when I calls the caller hears all background noise amplified, so much so they are deafened.

Is there a patch for this coming otherwise I think I will return them.

Android Samsung s20+

Firware 1.0.7

NotAnAudiophile
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 23, 2020

The quiet comfort true wireless earbuds pick up a lot of background noise when making phone calls outdoors. A mono bluetooth headset that came out maaany years ago and can be found for as little as £30/$40 sounds much much better. Is there any setting that can be tweaked? Or is it just the case that even the most expensive true wireless earbuds will never be as good as a cheap mono bluetooth headset for calls? Note I am talking about the background noise heard by the person I am calling, not heard by myself.

I have made a few test calls, calling my voicemail and then listening to the recording (which gets emailed to me as an mp3) from a moderately busy road with a little bit of traffic (but no drilling or construction noise). I have used a Huawei P20 pro and I have compared: the phone with no headset, a Jabra Talk 35 mono bluetooth headset, a Plantronics 3200 mono buetooth headset and the Bose quiet comfort true wireless earbuds.

The phone with no headset sounded the best (maybe because the microphone is closest to the mouth?), the Jabra and the Plantronics sounded about the same, good but not as clear as the phone, and the Bose Quiet Comfort true wireless earbuds sounded by far the worst - big time. The recording volume was OK, but they had picked up too much background noise: you could hear the cars passing by with the Bose, but not with the other 3. I tried using first only the right earbud then both - no difference.

The Bose supposedly has 4 mics per earbuds, just like the Jabra (not sure if the plantronics has 2 or 3). The Plantronics has  a boom which sits a bit closer to the mouth, but the Jabra is only 1 cm longer than the Bose.

What is the experience of other users? Has anyone compared a call, made outdoors, with the QuietComfort to one made just with the phone or with a cheap mono bluetooth headset?

Most online reviews seem to simply be: I called my friends, they said they could hear me, so all is good.

------------------

Bose product name: Quiet Comfort earbuds true wireless

Country UK

Firmware Version 1.0.7-9846+620b71c

App Version 4.2.4 19-Nov-2020 (Android)

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on Huawei P20 Pro running Android 10

NotAnAudiophile
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 23, 2020

PS I have also tried recording a voicemail to myself in an otherwise quiet room, with a fan at full speed 1.2 metres (4 feet) from me.

The difference was not as stark as when calling outdoors, but, still, the Plantronics 3200 managed to block all of the noise, while with the Bose you could still hear it a little bit, even when using only the right earbud, farther from the fan (the fan was on the left side).

I don't find this particularly impressive - just the bare minimum to be expected at this price point - because I have been using noise-cancelling microphones for about a decade, and, in my experience, a constant and predictable sound like that of a fan is relatively easy to block, while not-constant, ever-changing noise like that of traffic is harder. You can find $30 no-name bluetooth Chinese headsets with CvC which achieve the same - it's when making calls outdoors that you can really tell the difference between a good headset and a mediocre one.

imadayad@gmail.com
Participant
Registered since

Jan 9, 2021

I've purchased the super overpriced QC earbuds for one reason: I was told by the sales representative and i found online that the MIC does noise cancelling so the person at the other end wouldn't hear surrounding street noise for example. I didn't pick Airpods Pro which are so cheaper in our market because they don't have this capability.

After updating the firmware, resetting, and following all instructions found online, the result is the same: the Mic pickups noise and amplifies them.

Bose, either solve this or tell people the truth instead of blaming it on the design. This doesn't work.

Prove me wrong.

Starkey
Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2021

I got three sets for my family because of the clear call claim,

"People will hear your voice—not the noise around you"

Could not be further than the truth, background noise so is amplified.

Yes, the tree of us have the latest update, correct fit with the mic and have tried different tips with no improvement. 

Now if we use them have to sit still in a quite area so a call can be made. So disappointed...... 

Are Bose going to try to correct the issue?? Suggest they make a call while walking on gravel and see how long before the person on the other end hangs up because of the amplified background noise.