Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

QC20 Buzzing

Hi, I have had a set of QC20s for nearly three years. I've recently noticed they have developed a 50hz buzzing noise. at first I thought this was the PC they were connected to, but it also happens when plugged into my iphone. If I ground myself on any electrical item on my desk it goes away. Is there anyhting that can be done to aleviate this?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: QC20 Buzzing

Hi there @hot_fiat and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the Buzzing audio you've been experiencing here and would be happy to look into this for you.

It's interesting that you note when you ground the device the buzzing stops. When connected to or charging from an un-grounded device, such as a computer, TV or USB wall charger, it is possible for the headset to produce a humming sound. 

As such, can I ask if you only hear this when this is connected to power and the device you're using? 

If so, is there any difference if you use a power supply with a surge protector (if this is possible to check)?

Please return to me when you can!

Liam W - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 13, 2020

Hi,

I have had the same issue with QC20 earbuds. The noise does get better when plugged into a computer, and I unplug the computer from the charger. Do you have any tips for improving the noise? Or, is there a way to reduce the noise while my computer is charging?

Thank you!

Clarke

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 13, 2020

I have a similar issue.  The in-ear headset Quiet Comfort 20 generates an irritating buzz when it is plugged to my iPhone or my laptop both of which are on my desk.  If I take the laptop or the phone in my hand, the buzz goes away.  However that is inconvenient.  I have to turn of the noise cancellation currently, and cannot take advantage of it.  Any suggestions will help.  

Highlighted

Hey @zDhananjay,

That sounds very odd! Obviously something on your desk must be causing the humming noise to occur so you're hand is grounded so the noise stops. Have you tried placing anything underneath the phone when on your desk to see if that affects the situation?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 13, 2020

I have placed books and coasters but the buzz continues.  I need to figure out how to ground the iPhone or laptop on my desk, and mimic the same result that I get from holding the phone or laptop in my hand.  Any ideas?  I wonder if something is broken in QC20i?

Highlighted

I appreciate you trying that, @zDhananjay.

What material is your desk manufactured from? When using your laptop do you have it plugged in and charging?

Alternatively, have you tried placing the products on other surfaces around your home to see how they react? Finally, have you tried using a different set of plug sockets/strips if they're being used in the setup?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.