BattysGambit
Participant
Registered since

Mar 15, 2020

QC20 Right Ear Feedback Noice when Noise Cancelling Activated

Hi

The right ear on my QC20's has recently developed a loud squealing like noise, similar to feedback, when the Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) is activated and the earbud is in my ear.  Removing the earbud, the noise goes away, placing my finger over the earbud and the noise returns.  I've removed the rubber cover and checked for debris in the earbud speaker canal and it all looks clear.  The filter is in place.  If I place my finger over the speaker canal with the ANC on then the squealing / feedback noise starts.  Its almost like there is a blockage somewhere causing feedback to occur into the ANC.   This has made the earbuds unusable with the ANC active.  Any tips?

The headphones themselves are around 5 years old and have been absolute rock stars having been used almost daily and having been worn for many hours of transpacific flights.  To say that these headphones have served me well would be an understatement.

Tips to keep them going would be appreciated.

Cheers 

5 REPLIES 5
Tegan_M

Re: QC20 Right Ear Feedback Noice when Noise Cancelling Activated

Hi BattysGambit, 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some feedback from your QuietComfort 20 headphones. 

Thanks for taking the time into checking the earbuds, these were a great first step into troubleshooting. 

Usually if you are receiving feedback this will be down to the active noise cancellation technology. Something I would suggest is that you ensure that your silicone StayHear+ tips are securely on, and also switch out your tips for another size just to test whether this provides any improvements. 

I'd also suggest you not to put pressure on the earbuds itself, this will also result in feedback. 

Do let us know how you get on. 😊

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
jbeckwit
Participant
Registered since

Sep 6, 2018

Actually - the Stay Hear tips can be part of the problem....:-)

Previous users have complained about loud noise/feedback in one of the QC20 earbuds.   The "Solution" was to contact Support.   I did and, of course, they offered me a slight discount on a brand new pair - Nice, but that's still $200.  

I played around with mine and found that the case had split just a tiny bit - allowing the speakers to feedback to the microphone.   I filled in the gap with a little epoxy and - fixed!  

So check that out.  Doesn't take much of a gap (and therefore not much epoxy or white glue, or whatever)

Good luck.

John

gharwell@slatesharwell.com
Participant
Registered since

Dec 5, 2020

There is a crack in the neck of mine causing this exact same feedback when I cover the opening of  the earpiece.  It happens to all earpieces, and I can see no way to repair it with glue  Is there a fix available

DaveDCA
Participant
Registered since

Jan 4, 2021

My QC20 started producing feedback with noise cancelling on approx 1 month ago.  I examined the neck and the tips and have not found any sign of cracks or damage.  While removing the tip, feedback occurs.  With tip removed, feedback occurs.  With new tip, feedback occurs.    Upon closer inspection,  I found that I could open the shell where the two halves of the neck join.

Can this be glued or sealed by the customer?

Charlotte_G

We do not recommend applying glue, or similar, to the headphones yourself. Please get in touch with our customer support to explore the service options available. Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!