Gs1150es
Participant
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

QC20 makesbad popping noise

I got a pair of Bose qc 20 headphones for fathers day. used them around the house a few times and they worked good.this week  put them under my fulface helmet on my motorcycle and headed out and a god awfull popping noise is heard at any speeds over 50. I tried it with the windsheild on and the windsheild off, same results the noise is rididculous. Is there a fix for this?  I went to online support and was told they were out of warantee? I have had them four months? I love Bose products have them for my tv ,my PC and in both cars but this is very disheartning.249 dollars and I cant use them for what they were inteded for...Help 

8 REPLIES 8
Charlotte_G

Re: QC20 makesbad popping noise

Hello Gs1150es,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

To begin, we do not actually recommend using noise-canceling headphones when on a motorbike, or in control of any vehicle. 

It is most likely that the popping is occurring due to the noise from the engine and the road. Only certain frequencies can be canceled out and at those speeds, the noise will be extreme and cannot be handled by the noise-cancelation. 

Can you confirm that this is the only time this occurs?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Gs1150es
Participant
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

I finally got somebody to text me back after trying the live chat which was not working, then the phone where you couldnt talk to anyone and had to leave a message. they tried to tell me that these were not inteneded for outdoor or use inside a helmet. I told them that in all the adds for the quiet comfort 20 nowhere does it say intended  for indoor use,

@Charlotte_G wrote:

Hello Gs1150es,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

To begin, we do not actually recommend using noise-canceling headphones when on a motorbike, or in control of any vehicle. 

It is most likely that the popping is occurring due to the noise from the engine and the road. Only certain frequencies can be canceled out and at those speeds, the noise will be extreme and cannot be handled by the noise-cancelation. 

Can you confirm that this is the only time this occurs?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

has nothing to do with engine noise, i have killed the motor and it still does it. it also is not loud, I am inside a full face helmet behind a windsheild with full mufflers on a ajpanese touring bike

Gs1150es
Participant
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

Does Bose make noise cancelling earbuds that dont do this? i would like to stay in the bose family but need some kind of resolution on this .

Seabass
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

QC20 on motorcycle

Hi,

I just got the QC20s for use on a motorcycle and noticed exactly the same symptoms as described here (loud popping noise every couple seconds at highway speeds where there's lots of wind noise in the helmet):

QC20 on a motorcycle

From all the comments, it sounds like this is not a hardware issue, but a general flaw of the QC20 product. The noise cancellation in between the popping sounds is fantastic, but the pops are so loud and frequent that it makes them unusable while riding on the highway.

This reproduces 100% consistently, with and without an input device connected to the headphone jack.

My QC20s are brand new and fit well, so there's no issue with them whatsoever.

Does Bose have any plans to improve the firmware of the QC20s to avoid this issue?

As mentioned in the thread linked above, this affects everyone using the QC20s at higher speeds in a motorcycle helmet. Otherwise it's a fantastic product. This seems like a market Bose would want to own and could easily own with their superior noice cancellation technology.

Thank you!

Sebastian

coachtom22
Participant
Registered since

May 3, 2020

Re: QC20 on motorcycle

Just got my QC20 for riding as well, and am getting the same annoying popping at higher speeds. I agree this is a great product but that dam noise is too annoying to use while riding on the highway.  guess i will have to return and stay with my sony noise cancelling earbuds, no popping with those.  

Shealbi
Participant
Registered since

Oct 30, 2020

Re: QC20 on motorcycle

Have had for 5 months and have same issue inside high quality full face helmet and behind windshield. Am 66 and like to have both quality music, turn by turn directions and noise cancelling. Today, Apple announced they are going to fix the Apple pros for the same issue. It wouldn’t be illogical to believe the fix wouldn’t be similar. Hopefully Bose will examine apple’s fix as I like these. By the way, they work great plugged into TaoTronics TT BRO010

User_96288
Participant
Registered since

Nov 23, 2020

I too have a pair of QC20 headphones which I bought to use under my motorcycle helmet. The noise cancellation is very good but not perfect. However they also make a loud popping noise at speed. I believe the issue is actually caused by the change in air pressure inside the ear above certain speeds. As the ear tips are fairly airtight, this probably exacerbates the issue. If this is the case, can Bose come up with a workaround?

Jessie_O

Hey there, 

Thank you for joining the conversation! 

What you have described could be the cause of the issue. However, as we do not recommend the headphones be used in this way, we do not have a workaround. 

Thanks! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!