Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wendy123
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 6, 2020

Quiet Comfort 20 Wired Connection

After loading iOS 14.1 on my Apple iPad Pro and on my IPhone X I lost connection to my Bose earbuds. Updated both to iOS 14.2 and problem solved on IPad but not on IPhone X. Any idea what is going on here? Adapter is Apple and everything worked fine prior to iOS 14.1 update.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Strax
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 17, 2020

Re: Quiet Comfort 25 Wired Connection

Author Accepted Answer selected by Wendy123

I am using an Apple adapter but still got the notice. I started pulling the headphone plug partially in and out of the adapter and suddenly started to get some audio if I held it out just a fraction. Then after doing that for a while the problem went away completely and it now works every time. Go figure. Still must plug it all in in proper sequence for audio controls to work properly.

So I hope this problem stays away.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Quiet Comfort 20 Wired Connection

Hi Wendy123,

Welcome to the Community, thanks for posting!

It's strange that your earbuds have stopped working with your iPhone since you have updated to iOS 14.1! As you mentioned using an adapter, have you been using the same adapter with your iPad and your iPhone? If not, it would be worth trying the adapter you have been using with your iPhone with the iPad as well, to make sure the adapter is not causing the problem. It would also be worth trying another pair of headphones, or speakers with the adapter connected to your iPhone to test this as well.

Let me know how this goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Wendy123
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 6, 2020

I am not using the same adapter as my iPad because the iPad Pro uses the usbc and my IPhone X uses usb. I have tried my headphones with my husband’s I phone which does not have iOS 14 on it and they worked fine.  
when I ran iOS 14.1 my iPad didn’t work either. But when I updated to 14.2 my iPad worked but not my phone. I have tried rebooting my phone several times to no avail. 

Jessie_O

Thanks for responding @Wendy123

This is certainly a strange behavior. As your earphones seem to be working with other devices, this would point to the source device preventing the audio. Have you reached out to Apple at all? 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Wendy123
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 6, 2020

I have not reached out to Apple because if it’s a compatibility issue I think Bose would have more clout than I have. Bose told me to replace the headphones but why would I do that if there’s a chance that the next software update would render them useless. They are a simple wired headphone. It shouldn’t be this hard. 

Strax
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 17, 2020

Quietcomfort 25 wired headphones no working with IPhone 12 running ios14.2. 

Bose are you asleep at the wheel here? Yes I am using an Apple lightning connector. When I first plugged it in it worked for about 2 seconds and then up flashed the screen saying the device is not compatible.

Bose  you need to get on this now.

Jeff_G

Hi Strax,

Thanks for reaching out. 

A wired headphone being used with an adapter would not prompt the notification you mentioned. This notification will be in reference to the adapter instead. This can happen with non-OEM accessories, but if you're using an official Apple Lightning to 3.5mm female adapter, I recommend speaking with them to discuss why it is being flagged as incompatible. 

Thanks. 

Wendy123
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 6, 2020

Now I have a brand new MacBook air and my QC 20's don't work with it either.  Even though they work with my iPad.  So, they don't work with my iPhone X or my MacBook Air and yes the connectors work fine. The iPad and MacBook air use the same connector.  Works fine on the Ipad.  The connector for the iPhone has been tested on another older phone that does not have the new software and it works fine.

Please don't tell me again that it's my connectors.  It is not,

Apple won't help because you are a third party vendor.  So, again reaching out to you.  Can't believe I'm the only one with this problem.  Have you tested this using the new adapters required?

Strax
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 17, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by Wendy123

I am using an Apple adapter but still got the notice. I started pulling the headphone plug partially in and out of the adapter and suddenly started to get some audio if I held it out just a fraction. Then after doing that for a while the problem went away completely and it now works every time. Go figure. Still must plug it all in in proper sequence for audio controls to work properly.

So I hope this problem stays away.

View solution in original post

Wendy123
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 6, 2020

So, I found the place where I had to choose the headphones to make them work.  Seems crazy but now they're working do I will accept this as a solution