aibeira
Participant
Registered since

Sep 22, 2020

Quiet Comfort Earbuds single ear support

I am just wondering if the new Quiet Comfort Earbuds will support using only one of the two earbuds at a time, in a similar fashion to Apple's AirPods (either "regular" or Pro).  Meaning that you can use either the left or right earpiece by itself.  I ask because the first "truly wireless" Bose earbuds - SoundSport Free wireless - did not behave this way - you could use the right by itself, but not the left, if I remember correctly.

While I'm on the subject of the way the SoundSport Free Wireless behave...  I had a problem with two sets of them where the left would cut out periodically for no apparent reason.  I was told by support that it was because there was a body part - my head, incidentally - between the left and right ear pieces.  Has this limitation been improved?

I'm really looking forward to the new ones, but would rather not have the same problems.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hector_B

Re: Quiet Comfort Earbuds single ear support

Author Accepted Answer selected by aibeira

Hello aibeira, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! It's great to hear that you are interested in our upcoming QuietComfort Earbuds. 

The new QuietComfort Earbuds do not have the ability to both be used separately, only the right earbud can permanently be used individually, which is similar to the SoundSport Free wireless headphones. If you really wanted to use only the left earbud, this can be achieved on a temporary basis. To do this, you will need to ensure that the right earbud remains active, due to the primary/secondary relationship that the earbuds have. The right earbud and device will also need to remain in range. Ways to do this include, keep the charging case lid open or leaving the right bud out of the case altogether. The reason this is on a temporary basis is that the right earbud will enter standby mode after 20 minutes of inactivity and therefore the signal path to the left earbud will shut off. Another thing to note is that the microphone for calls is only found in the right earbud.

I personally have a set of the new earbuds and haven't experienced any cut-outs or connection issues at all, I have tested this in a few environments. 

If you have any further questions, please do let us know.  

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Hector_B

Author Accepted Answer selected by aibeira

Hello aibeira, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! It's great to hear that you are interested in our upcoming QuietComfort Earbuds. 

The new QuietComfort Earbuds do not have the ability to both be used separately, only the right earbud can permanently be used individually, which is similar to the SoundSport Free wireless headphones. If you really wanted to use only the left earbud, this can be achieved on a temporary basis. To do this, you will need to ensure that the right earbud remains active, due to the primary/secondary relationship that the earbuds have. The right earbud and device will also need to remain in range. Ways to do this include, keep the charging case lid open or leaving the right bud out of the case altogether. The reason this is on a temporary basis is that the right earbud will enter standby mode after 20 minutes of inactivity and therefore the signal path to the left earbud will shut off. Another thing to note is that the microphone for calls is only found in the right earbud.

I personally have a set of the new earbuds and haven't experienced any cut-outs or connection issues at all, I have tested this in a few environments. 

If you have any further questions, please do let us know.  

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

engquist
Participant
Registered since

Sep 23, 2020

Can you use only one at a time while leaving the other in the charging case?

engquist
Participant
Registered since

Sep 23, 2020

Thank you!

madygirl25
Participant
Registered since

Sep 20, 2020

With the new QC earbuds, do you have to use both at the same time, or, can you just use one?

Jlerman
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 26, 2019

I like to wear only one earbud at a time for walking around and also when I'm trying to sleep.

I can have the right bud in and put the left one in the case and close it and the right one keeps playing.

If i have the left bud in, I can put the right bud in the case and the left continues to work, but as soon as I close the case with the right bud in it, the Bluetooth connection cuts off.

I'm sure this is just confirmation that these are not dual master and the right bud is the only master. Very disappointing. I tried disabling in ear detection and auto play/pause but still run into this issue with the right bud in a closed case.

I hope someone has a workaround.

J

Jessie_O

Hey @Jlerman

Thank you for your post and welcome! 

I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying the new QuietComfort earbuds!

Due to the relationship between the primary and secondary earbuds, the case will need to be open if you wish to use the left earbud on its own. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out to us again! 

klwdallas
Participant
Registered since

Dec 23, 2020

Re: Quiet Comfort Earbuds single ear support - Will not buy

Unfortunately, I will not be buying the latest buds since they don't support single ear use.

We have this expectation now. Apple does it. Sony does it. Even the $25 generics from Amazon do it.