Lionnel
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 19, 2018

Quiet Control 30 firmware update decrease noise canceling efficiency

Hello,

I bought a QC30 few weeks ago with firmware 1.3.6. I use it mainly with an iPhone 6s

I have been noticing a white noise in the background, especially when the sound level is low or off.

The app Bose Connect was proposing to update the firmware and that is what I did. Now the QC30 firmware is 2.7.6.

The white noise in background is slighly lower, but NC (Noise Canceling) is less efficient. I can now hear cars in the street and voices around me.

I would like to revert to firmware 1.3.6. Is there a way to downgrade firmware ?

Regards

Lionnel

12 REPLIES 12
Huggtand
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 8, 2018

Re: Quiet Control 30 firmware update decrease noise canceling efficiency

Hi

No. You can't. Bose have decided to lock the feature to downgrade firmware. Some time ago this was actually possible and very much useful.

Hey Lionnel,

Thanks for writing into the community and sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. There is no way to downgrade to previous firmware versions. This was an option in the past and you may read more on that change here. 

However, we can confirm that no changes were made to the ANC properties with any of the firmware updates to the QC30.

Have you tried readjusting the ANC level within the app? You can also find some related troubleshooting steps from our ANC guide here. 

Please let us know how everything is going for you. 

Thanks again,

Mohsin - Community Support

Lionnel
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 19, 2018

Hi Mohsin,

Thank you for you reply. I have been folowing the link for troubleshooting, even if I am owning a QC30 and the this link is for QC35, but nothing changed.

I am sure you are honnest in you reply, the fact is that I feel that the voices are more earable and the street noises are also more present. Perhaps it is the results of urban legend, but this is realy my feeling when using QC30 in public transport, in the street or in the office.

This is too bad that the possibility to downgrade the firmware is now canceled, because this was the oportunity for every-one to check that "no changes were made to the ANC properties". 

Best regards

Lionnel

Robertpetry
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

Hello Mohsin

Sorry, you are mistaken. There may not have been a change with the ANC in THIS update, but there have definitely been changes with the ANC through other updates.

Taken directly out of the release notes for 1.3.6:

“Release Notes:

With firmware version 1.3.6 comes a change in the Noise Cancelling performance of QC30. The Noise Cancellation has been improved in the lower frequencies to make it more consistent with QC20’s performance.“
Highlighted

@Lionnel Thank you for the feedback, and I can understand your concerns. Sorry to hear that this has been your experience and if you still feel concerned that your headphones are not functioning correctly, please feel free to contact our service team in your region for further assistance. Contact information can be found here. 

@Robertpetry I appreciate you for posting, and I apologize for any confusion here. You are correct that there was a change in ANC for firmware 1.3.6 at that point. To clarify, no changes were made to the ANC in firmware v2.7.6. 

Thank you again, and take care. 

Mohsin

donbartal
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 7, 2019

Dear Mohsin,

Allow me to pop in, but I experience the same issue. NC is indeed less efficient than it used to be. Do you mind really ask the developers to really look into it. I understand it is hard to admit such but Lionel is right.
Thanks,
Akos
Aidensky
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 14, 2019

I’m done with Bose now. All of my wireless products from them that are slave to over the air updates have all diminished their functionality with each incremental update. The Bose connect App is a curse to Bose products and the bigwigs at Bose are using it for skullduggery and to actively cheat the consumer by reducing functionality.

I came to the above conclusion when I confirmed that only bose’s wireless range can be manipulated/controlled by Bose. All of my Wired Bose products that ‘Do Not’ receive OTA updates or App support are the products that retain their out of box functionality & cannot be controlled by the manufacturer. It’s not just Bose who are doing this..Over the air updates are the curse of modern technology. They break more than they fix. They fully dictate & support the process of planned obsolescence and manufacturers can now literally implement & deliver issues incrementally into their own product to encourage user upgrade. Over Air Updates are killing previous generation technology and the sad part is that it can be completely exploited by manufacturers. We essentially “Rent” these products until the manufacturers decide times up!

AShelf
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

Chilling thought. They can basically sell new products without substantial updates by simply downgrading existing ones overtime and tricking customers into believing the new product is better. I want to believe a company like Bose won't stoop that low - truly hope not.
2204pc
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 1, 2019

my qc 30 is having a much much less noise cancelling since the update.

and you can't roll back in 2019.

THIS IS PURE FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD FROM BOSE. You buy a product that is satisfying. and they practically force you to update with their lies lies lies lies of the improvements that they say they made. and you get after update an unusable rubbish product that you paid 300€.

you go buy a car and after the first servicing , they keep one wheel and they say to you it's better this way. you will drive on a three wheels car from now on and you have to be please with it.  THIS IS FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought a certain product , you don't have the right to destroy it. you are CROOKS. If it was not the case, you would still permit in 2019 to roll back to the firmware i had when i bought it.

YOU SiMPLY ARE CROOKS CROOKS CROOKS.

so i let it and went back  to my qc 20

and since it was getting yellowish i drove 200 kms to a store that hadn't sold yet its last qc 20 white apple from early days. which is a killing machine with satisfying noise cancelling.

beware don't buy the lasts qc 20 on amazon in 2019, because i did and they changed the noise cancelling and it it as well rubish.

you have to find a new 2016 yes 2016 qc 20 if you want the satisfying noise cancelling. and if you do find it in a small store , then you do the 200 km to go and get  because all the new ones a RUBBISH , qc 20 and qc 30.

"bose crooks company" , you are a shame.