rasor22
Participant
Registered since

Jan 16, 2018

Re: QuietComfort Earbuds Constant Hiss/Static out of Right Earbud

Hi,

I have bought two of these (one dedicated for office in case I left the other one) and have activated both yesterday. I noticed both have the same issue regardless when I'm in my home office or at work. In my case they are triggered by a specific scenario: my Android phone registers a different volume in Bose Music (I have set to about 20%) and the Android system (max 100% beyond recommended sound range). As I use it less for music and more for NC, I didn't realize that the device volume is actually set to "low" (via Bose Music) and this causes the right bud to do a hissing noise. There seems to be a technical reason why this happens (I doubt because NC is also set to "low") but it seems NC has difficulty doing its job and outright malfunctions when earbud volume is low.

So I set Bose Music to max (which oddly can also be controlled by the phone volume buttons when the app is in foreground) and set the Android system volume on a recommended level (around 80%)...and the problem is gone on the two devices I bought!

In short this seems to be both an app problem (Bose Music doesn't sync volume with Android system...we all know Bose is a bit behind when it comes to app quality) and device problem (NC fails or generates weird behaviour when earbud volume is low). By the way in my case this only happens in a relatively quiet environment.

Hopefully Bose can patch this on their next firmware release.

Hope this helps!

Original Geek
Participant
Registered since

Oct 21, 2020

My left earbud currently sounds like I'm walking through a storm with a microphone picking up the wind... this is while sitting in front of my computer.

Tried "reset" and it is running 1.0.7 firmware.

Please advise - will be calling support when I reach the office.. $300 earbuds that fail after 2 days.. really?

mattvanderzyl@gmail.com
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2020

Can you please provide the reset and firmware update instructions here?  It would be very helpful to include links w/ these suggestions

Vicky_W

We sure can, check out the steps to update and reset here. 

Let me know how this goes. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Dike
Participant
Registered since

Nov 3, 2020

I was just about to click "BUY" and then I thought "Let's check some reviews on the Bose's website".
I haven't seen anything but issues.
Usually other earbuds have 2-3% negative comments. This one exceeded 6% only on amazon.

Thank you people, you saved me from the headache and frustration it was never about the money.

I won't buy them until I start seeing some positive feedback or the major issues resolved.

ilovemypinktutu
Participant
Registered since

Oct 21, 2020

I have the same issue! I hear hissing sound in a quiet room.

ilovemypinktutu
Participant
Registered since

Oct 21, 2020

I also experience this. It sounds like I'm in the middle of a storm.

Lisbeth
Participant
Registered since

Nov 12, 2020

I have the same issue, only it's on the left earbud, not the right.

I tried literally everything that has been suggested so far in the thread, and nothing stops it.

What's next Bose?

Hector_B

Sorry to hear that some of you are still experiencing this issue after attempting our great troubleshooting steps in this thread. 

If you are still running into this issue, I would recommend reaching out to your regional customer support team via the Contact Us page here. The team will be able to explore service options for your headset.

Please do let us know if you have issues reaching your regional support team. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
moib04
Participant
Registered since

Nov 12, 2020

Bose product name

Quiet Comfort Earbuds

Country

Denmark

Firmware Version

1.0.7-9846+620b71c

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

iPhone 11 Pro on iOS14.1

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I have just bought these earbuds, and they are really nice, but I experience two problems:

1. Hiss / Nois when talking in the earbuds from both earbuds

2. There is kind of a latency between the two earbuds. So when talking to any one, there is latency as i hear the sound in the right earbud before the left earbud. 

None of the above is a problem when listening to music or have any playback from the phone, its primarily connected with the talk quality. 

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

From day 1 (have just had them for two days) 

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I have unpaired them and paired them again