Ian Mac
Participant
Registered since

Oct 9, 2020

QuietComfort Earbuds sound quality

Hi all,

I have just received my new QuietComfort ear buds yesterday and I'm having a little problem with them. When I'm listening to music (always max volume) the earbuds keep crackling and popping as if they can't handle the volume level, they do this at lower volume too. They also fade from right to left and vice versa. Can anyone help or having the same issue? I am really surprised at this from Bose. I have tried different apps for music and still no difference, all firmware is up to date etc etc. Other than return them I don't know wat else to do.

Thanks in advance

Ian

6 REPLIES 6
Andy_B
Community Manager

Re: QuietComfort Earbuds sound quality

Hey Ian Mac, thanks for your message. Welcome to the Bose Community forums. 

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with audio. We'd be happy to help investigate with you, but will require a little more information. Can you tell us a little more about the environments that you're using the headphones in - are your surroundings particularly loud or noisy? Excessively noisy environments such as airplanes taking off, concerts, emergency sirens, and construction zones (among others) can overwhelm the microphones used to monitor external frequencies (part of the ANC technology) causing the headphones to crackle or distort. Similarly, does the issue persist when the noise cancellation levels have been changed from high to low?

I'd also like to make sure that the headphones are securely and comfortably worn. Information about finding the correct fit can be found HERE.

Have you tested the headset with a different device, such as an alternative phone/tablet? What device are you currently using with the headphones? 

Finally, I recommend resetting your earbuds should the issue occur across multiple different connected devices. To do this, please follow our guide HERE. All the best.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
IanFS
Participant
Registered since

Oct 14, 2020

Quiet Comfort Earbuds sounds small comparing to QC30?

I have just upgraded from the QC30 to the QC Earbuds and the ANC is a huge upgrade, however, I am not sure if I am having problems with the sound? Comparing to the QC30, the QC earbuds’ bass seems dampened and far away, and the treble sounds slightly more muffled. So the overall results seems to sound like I am listening to the sounds from a much smaller driver than the QC30, like basically listening to the same music but from a speaker sitting much farther away. Is that supposed to happen? I have tried that from various devices, different ANC levels, different volume, reset the device, reinstalled the Bose music app, make sure I have the latest version of the app and the firmware. Do I have a defective unit or is it one of the things that will be addressed in later firmware updates?

Jordon
Participant
Registered since

Oct 27, 2020

Re: QuietComfort Earbuds sound quality

Similar issue for me. I’ve just unboxed my new QuietComfort earbuds and at loud volume the speakers clip. It seems to be only in the bass range. No problem in the higher frequencies. Both speakers are doing it. It doesn’t make any difference using different earpiece sizes. The clipping doesn’t seem to neatly correspond to the music levels making me think it’s something to do with bass enhancer tech?!  I’m listening in a quiet room, sitting in my easy chair. No movement from me. The only thing I haven’t tried is resetting to factory settings as I’ve literally just opened the box. 

Stephen C
Participant
Registered since

Apr 27, 2021

Re: Sound distortion on Left Sport Earbud when paired with FitBit Ionic

Hi there,

I have the same issue when connected to Phone and TV device. The left earbud crackles and then sounds like it powers down. I can still change devices with the left bud and hear in the right bud. 

To clear the issue I've to put the buds back in the case and allow them reset. Once done the I can listen on both sides. The issue normally will come back within 10 - 20 mins. 

- Bose product firmware:  [Edited by Moderator]

- Bose app version: 

- Environment (e.g. Kitchen, Bathroom, Office or Garden): Sitting room, office, running outside

- Ecosystem (e.g. iPad Pro (iOS 12.9) and SoundLink Revolve): iphone IOS 14.4.2 

- Sources/services affected (e.g. Bluetooth connection): TV, telephone 

- Setup issue, or worked before: yes, when i take the buds from the case they pair fine

- Description of the problem: as above 

- Steps to reproduce: it occurs itself intermittingly 

- Troubleshooting attempted: cleared all devices, repaired buds and devices. 

Pretty annoying really. Is there anything that can be done to update FW ? 

Stephen C
Participant
Registered since

Apr 27, 2021

Hi Support,

Can you indicate if there is any progress with this 'known' quality issue in your product. (soundsport wireless)?

What is the cause and how is this corrected in the product.

Rgds, 
SC

Jessie_O

Hey Stephen C, 

Thank you for coming back to us! 

I have passed this onto the team for development team for review. In the meantime, I would recommend checking the thread HERE which discusses a similar occurance. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out to us!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!