Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2020

Quietcomfort 20 vs 20i

My 9 year old Bose QuietComfort in-ear headphones have finally broken after 9 years of daily use and are in need of replacement. I want the latest model, but am confused as to whether this is the "20" (black and blue), or the "20i" (black and grey/white), both of which are on sale from the Bose website.

I contacted Bose support earlier, and they originally said that one was for Apple and one for Android, but this is not true: the Bose website sells a "20 for Apple" and a "20 for Android". When I pointed this out, they apologised and they said that the 20i (black and grey/white) is the newer model and the 20 (black and blue) is the older model. I'm still not sure about this though, because I bought the "20 for Apple" model for my wife in 2016, which are black and blue like the ones on sale now, whereas my 2011 ones are black and grey (indicating that they're the 20i, which I think they were labelled as when I bought them). I have both pairs in front of me now, so can check anything on them as needed.

Can anyone clear this up? I just want to buy the latest model. This is a lot of money for me and I anticipate them lasting another ten years, so don't want to make a mistake.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2020

Re: Quietcomfort 20 vs 20i

Amazon say that the 20i is discontinued:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-QuietComfort-Cancelling-Discontinued-manufacturer-Black/dp/B00D429Y12/...

This confirms what I think, as per my logic above, but completely contradicts Bose Support this morning, who told me the 20i is the latest model.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2020

Update: I contacted Bose support again and got a different answer, this time matching my guesses as described above. This time they were able to supply dates, which gives me more confidence, so I've ordered the QC20.

Bose: Please train your support agents better - this is a very basic question.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

That's definitely the right information.

The black and blue ones are the newer models.  Previously they came in QC20/QC20i in which the 20 had one button for play/pause and the 20i had volume buttons as well (for apple).  Both were black and grey.

In the newer ones they dropped the "i" and went to QC20 for android or QC20 for apple.  Considering the new ones have been around for 4ish years I'd be surprised if you could find any black and grey ones anyway.