Right Earbud Stopped Working

Highlighted
Audible Advocate

Right Earbud Stopped Working

I have the Soundsport Free earbuds, and have had nothing but issues since buying them in July of 2018. Over the weekend though, the right earbud has just completely stopped working. I take them out of the (fully charged) case, after having them in there for quite a bit of time, and I hear nothing in the right ear. No voice saying they are charged, connected, or connecting. The left earbud still has the blinking Bluetooth light, but they won't connect to and arent visible to any devices that were or are paired to them.

Needless to say, this is getting infuriating. Looking at these forums, it seems that there is nothing but problems with this model of earbuds, and Bose chooses to do nothing about them. How many replacement pairs have had to be given out because of just how terrible these turn out to be?

Even these forums are a joke. We come here for support, and the best these moderators can say is, "Thank you kindly for taking the time to reach out to the community, I'm sorry to hear that your new headphones are giving you trouble! I'd like to suggest, based off of what you're describing, that your best option is to reach out to customer support - you can use this link. Just select your country and scroll down to where you see "contact us". Support will be able to help from there.". Why even have the forums.

Hopefully there is a fix for these that won't put me without my overpriced earbuds for an extended time. Sending them in for a used or refurbished pair isn't an ideal or welcome option for me. I paid a lot of money for these brand new earbuds, and I want brand new ones. Not second-hand and "fixed" replacements.

*I'd also like to point out what an absolute nightmare it is trying to log into this forum. Takes 3 browswers for me to be able to login without getting some kind of error message.

6 REPLIES
Audible Advocate

Re: Right Earbud Stopped Working

And just to save the hassle of being told to try things I have already done numerous times.

- I have already removed the pairing from my phone and computer, which are the only 2 devices I had connected to these.  Even deleted and reinstalled the Bose app.

- I have held down the Bluetooth button on the left earbud for the 10 seconds (more like 20-30, mulitple times) to clear the list. Nothing happened there. I see no indication light or anything to even show it worked.

Hi SalmonGram,

Thanks for posting. I understand how frustrating that can be, Could I ask, would it be possible to update your headphones software by going to btu.bose.com on your computer and following the instructions?

Please come back and let us know if that helped.

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Audible Advocate

Running firmware 2.6.0 for at least a couple weeks now. It was only a few days after the firmware release in mid-January that I updated them.

Hi SalmonGram,

Thanks for responding. I am sorry to say, that based on what you are describing it does sound like you need to reach out to your local support for assistance in getting a replacement. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G

Audible Advocate

What a surprise. Send them in. Didn't expect to see that here. Going by this forum, even with a replacement, there is no guarantee that the "new" pair will work properly.

Audible Advocate

As reluctant and aggravated as I was to have to send my earbuds back, I went through with it. I was expecting a 2+ week wait for them to come back. I sent them out last Monday afternoon via UPS, and when I got home from work on Wednesday, there was a package with a brand new pair waiting for me. That was a pleasantly unexpected surprise. So kudos to Bose (and to the rep who helped me with this) for making that happen.

Now that I have them back and their firmware up to date, I'm happy to report that the right earbud is working great. However, the left earbud is still doing the same exact thing as the last pair, and what so many have had problems with in these forums. Somewhat frequent static and audio drops. I notice my cutouts are much more frequent during songs that have heavier or lower frequency bass or basslines in them. It will still happen with any other song I could play, but it seems to be more consistent with those kinds of songs. Just as a note, when I play these, they are connected to my 2018 MacBook Pro or iPhone XS, and it doesnt matter which device they are paired with for the audio issues. I use these almost entirely at work also, so the volume is always well under halfway on both devices, and the drops still are happening.