Sound Sport Free in ear bluetooth headphones - No Connect Ap for Windows 10 and sync/lag issues

Audible Advocate

Sound Sport Free in ear bluetooth headphones - No Connect Ap for Windows 10 and sync/lag issues

These earphones have fantastic sound!  Why on earth does Bose not offer a Bose Connect ap for Windows 10 users? It is incredibly frustrating that everytime you want to connect these headphones to your windows 10 pc in stereo mode you must delete the device while they are off (in the charging case) and do a search and initialize device. I don't understand the oversight of not having the connect ap as there is certainly an ap for Bose Sound touch for windows 10. I am a long time bose customer with multiple products including Bose Soundlink bluetooth over ear headphones that I purchased for my wife and have used with my computer with none of these issues. I can't believe that bose didn't think that Windows 10 users wouldn't want to listen to music, play games, or watch videos on their Windows 10 computers. Maybe Bose should consider disabling the mono mode on these headphones. Honestly who really wants to make or recieve phone calls in mono anyway? Hopefully bose will correct this soon before they loose loyal customers.Then they can work on the video sync/lag issues.

3 REPLIES
Strident Supporter

Re: Sound Sport Free in ear bluetooth headphones - No Connect Ap for Windows 10

Perhaps what you suggest could be a solution.  Now I don't work for Bose and I have a soundsport wired and not free along with a soundlink mini, two Revolves, and a QC35ii.  There have been many discussions on the various forums here about the difficulty and problems between Windows and Bose products both on Windows 7/32 (which I have) and Windows 10.  There are actually three 'players' - there is Bose, there is Microsoft, and there is the vendor the has implemented with hardware and drivers the Bluetooth (BT) 4.x implementation.  IMHO, Bose's market is not Windows but smartphones and tablets.  In addition, there are so many different bluetooth solutions on windows machines that Bose can clearly not test them all for compatibility.  So whether your Bose device works on your windows machine is hit or miss.  The question is what to do about it when it is 'miss'.

I went the route of bringing it up here and callling Bose.  The thing is that in the best scenario, they may have a firmware change or even an application as you ask over the next few months but with no guarantee that even if it makes BT changes it will positively impact your particular implementation.  Then you can address this with your PC vendor like I did with Dell.  And Dell did try for quite a bit of time, but they could not solve it and got no cooperation from Bose or the Bluetooth hardware/chipset vendor - Intel.  You can try what we did which may or may not help.  Unpair everything on both ends, uninstall bluetooth on your PC and do a factory reset on your Bose.  Then reinstall the drivers.  If that doesn't work see if you can find newer BT drivers, then try BT drivers a version or two or three back.  If none of that works, try uninstalling Windows updates back two years and see if that helps.

In my case, none of it worked and someone else in the Bose forum said they had similar issues with Intel.  Now we can continue hitting our heads against the wall but I had enough.  So I disabled the bluetooth chipset through Windows and went ahead and for about $12 on eBay, purchased the SMK Nano Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle with the CSR stack.  That seems to work for all my Bose devices most of the time on both my Dell desktop and laptop.  No guarantees that it will work for you and I had tried other USB solutions that DID NOT work for me.  But for $12, there is not much to loose.

Audible Advocate

Thank you for trying to help but I think you misunderstood my post. I do not have a problem connecting the headphones what I have a problem with is HOW I have to connect them which is definitely a Bose issue. If Bose did away with the mono connection of the earphones, which in my opinion is useless anyway as who wants to make phone calls in mono if you can make them in stereo, the issue of computers dropping back to mono would be solved and connecting would be seemless. You would no longer have to delete the connection and reinitialize each time you wanted to use them with your computer. I also would like Bose to provide the Bose connect ap for windows users so you could also connect more than one headphone set the way you can on a phone or tablet. Once these issues have been delt with maybe they could then address the lag issues when watching video. I really can't believe a company as well respected as Bose could have overlooked these issues and not realized that these headphones might be used for something more than making phone calls and working out to music.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter

I do not work for Bose but I am guessing is Bose has signed on to both the BT 4.x and BT 5.0 (which they don't have products for yet) standards.  By doing so they need to fully support the standard.  That means they need to support HFP for VOIP calls and A2DS for stereo music streaming.  I am not proficient myself in the details of the protocols but I am assuming that you can't mix to the two together and be standard compliant.  If that is not the case, can someone here enlighten us?  HFP is a mono based standard and works for all bluetooth devices the same way whether they are on your ear, in your ear, or in your car.  That is why when you call in your car, the call comes just through the left car speaker (driver side) in mono.

I don't myself know the details of BT 5.0 in depth so I can't tell you if it supports VOIP in stereo or whether it creates a facility / environment rich reduces latency and hence help minimizes the lag time in BT communication.  But even if it both, it is also not obvious to me that Bose intends to support BT 5.0 in the firmware of its current devices.  I would think, BT 5.0 would be supported only with new Bose devices.

And even when Bose has products with BT 5.0 support, the entities on the other end it pairs with must also support BT 5.0 - though if it is just software like Youtube, I am not exactly sure if they will need to change or not.  All good questions to be answered.