johnbmcd
Participant
Registered since

Dec 25, 2020

Sound distortion on Left Sport Earbud when paired with FitBit Ionic

Hi,

I have been having a problem with pairing a new set of Bose Sports Earbuds with a Fitbit Ionic watch. Whenever I connect and play music through the headphones the sound "crackles" and is severely distorted in the left earbud. I have tried multiple suggested solutions from both bose and fitbit but none have worked. This has included a factory reset of the watch, trying different apps, plugging in the headphone case for 10secs and then leaving for 1 minute to reset the connection, unpairing / reparing, etc. At one point I did get correct audio but this seemed completely random and I have not been able to reproduce it.

Note the headphones work correctly when paired with my phone.

The distance from the watch to the headphones has no impact (as is the case in other posts).

Bose product name: Sports Earbuds

Firmware Version: 1.0.7-10904+620b71c

App Version: 4.2.4

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on : Fitbit Ionic (software version 71.6.19)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce: see above

What environment do you experience the issue in? everywhere

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?: The problem has always been there with when paired to the watch. I also own another set of Sharkk Claro Bluetooth Headphones (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Headphones-Canceling-Advanced-Technology-Black-Silver/dp/B01HSI05...) which work fine with the watch and don't exhibit the same problem. As mentioned above the sound did work correctly at one point (out of many many many attempts), however I can't be sure what specifically about that attempt caused it, and have not managed to reproduce it since.

Any troubleshooting steps you took: see above

10 REPLIES 10
Hector_B

Re: Sound distortion on Left Sport Earbud when paired with FitBit Ionic

Hello johnbmcd, 

Thank you for posting and reaching back out to the Community today. Sorry to read that you are having this odd experience with your Sports Earbuds and the Fitbit. 

I appreciate the troubleshooting you have attempted so far, this is everything that we could have suggested. Has the Fitbit recently updated at all as this may have caused this compatibility issue. 

I'd also love to hear from members of the Community, to see if any other users have experienced this issue. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
johnbmcd
Participant
Registered since

Dec 25, 2020

Hi @Hector_B ,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the confirmation that I have followed through the correct trouble shooting steps. Unfortunately I have not heard anything back from the fitbit community yet but I will post a reply should I get any update.

I realise the problem most probably is on the fitbit side however given the popularity of their watches and the fact many purchasers of earbuds do so with the intention of using them with smart watches, it would probably be a good idea for Bose to test the issue out in house and confirm that there is an issue -- and perhaps get in touch with fitbit to push them to fix it or to fix it on the Bose firmware side of this is a possibility?? 🤞At present it is tricky for consumers to sort this out since we don't have the capabilities to debug it and categorically figure out which side the problem is coming from.

SarahForbes
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2020

I also have a crackling, high pitched ringing sound in left earbud of new soundsport headphones. I am trying to listen to music from my iphone. I have reset, power on/off, tried different music source. Keen to know what to do. Send back? See local Bose agent? Would like this fixed asap. Thanks.

CraigS1
Participant
Registered since

Jan 4, 2021

I am experiencing the same problem with sound distortion/poor sound quality from the left earbud when connected to the FitBit Ionic smartwatch.  I have contacted Fitbit support who report the issue is with Bose (I have a copy of the transcript for records).  I have reset the Bose Quietcomfort earbuds, deleted and re-installed the Bose music app, deleted and reconnected the Bluetooth connection to the Ionic, re-booted the Ionic, updated and installed the latest operating system on Fitbit and checked I have the latest Bose software versions.  I have no trouble connecting other headphones to the Fitbit Ionic with no sound distortion whatsoever - it's only the Bose earbuds that have the problem with sound distortion/poor sound quality from the left earbud when connected to the fitBit Ionic.  Any feedback on a resolution  with be greatly appreciated.

Jessie_O

Hey everyone! 

Thank you so much for keeping this thread active. 

I'll be more than happy to raise this with our development team to take a look at. Could you respond with the following information so I have the most information for the team: 

- Bose product firmware:

- Bose app version:

- Environment (e.g. Kitchen, Bathroom, Office or Garden):

- Ecosystem (e.g. iPad Pro (iOS 12.9) and SoundLink Revolve):

- Sources/services affected (e.g. Bluetooth connection):

- Setup issue, or worked before:

- Description of the problem:

- Steps to reproduce:

- Troubleshooting attempted:

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
CraigS1
Participant
Registered since

Jan 4, 2021

As requested, feedback as follows:

- Bose product firmware:  1.0.7-9846+620b71c

- Bose app version: 4.2.4

- Environment (e.g. Kitchen, Bathroom, Office or Garden): All environments

- Ecosystem (e.g. iPad Pro (iOS 12.9) and SoundLink Revolve): Bose Quietcomfort Earbuds and FitBit Ionic smartwatch

- Sources/services affected (e.g. Bluetooth connection): Sound distortion/poor sound quality from the Left earbud only

- Setup issue, or worked before: Never worked before. Sound distortion/poor sound quality from the Left earbud (only) when connected to the Fitbit Ionic smartwatch

- Description of the problem: Sound distortion/poor sound quality from the Left earbud only when connected to the Fitbit Ionic smartwatch

- Steps to reproduce: Connect via Bluetooth the Bose Quietcomfort Earbuds to a FitBit Ionic smartwatch and the left earbud produces sound distortion/poor sound quality

- Troubleshooting attempted:  I have reset the Bose Quietcomfort earbuds, deleted and re-installed the Bose music app, deleted and reconnected the Bluetooth connection to the Ionic, re-booted the Ionic, updated and installed the latest operating system on Fitbit and checked I have the latest Bose software versions.  I have no trouble connecting other headphones to the Fitbit Ionic with no sound distortion whatsoever - it's only the Bose earbuds that have the problem with sound distortion/poor sound quality from the left earbud when connected to the FitBit Ionic.  Any feedback on a resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Jessie_O

Thank you for providing this information to us @craigs1

I have sent this to our development team for review. We will be in touch if the team comes back to us. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please reach out to us again! 

Matiast
Participant
Registered since

Jan 10, 2021

Hello we have the same problem with ours two Fitbit Sense watches.

Here are the Firmware versions

Fitbit Sense Firmware version 44.128.417

Original-Name: QuietComfort Earbuds

Firmware-version: 1.0.7-9846+620b71c

I tested the Fitbit Sense with Bose QC35 and sound quality is perfect.

Thank you for your support!!

Matías

Jessie_O

Hey everyone! 

We would love some additional information regarding this issue. 

Can you tell me if you are streaming audio through the phone, to the watch, to the headphones? Or, is the audio tracks being stored on your watch?

Can you also let me know if you are connecting to the BLE connection active to the phone, whilst the watch is connected to the headset? Try disconnecting the LE Connection and try again. Also, if the watch is connected to the phone, disconnect that and then try streaming local audio from the watch.

Lastly, update your headphones. I have included the LINK HERE to assist you!

I look forward to hearing from you!