Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 29, 2018

Re: SoundSport Free Lag

Hi CS - I think this problem happens worldwide and you need to do global recall.

I just buy this yesterday and really happy with the sound quality. But, later the night I watched youtube from apps and It was completely lag with any video (unless im using safari to stream movie or youtube). It is a ridicolous since a $10 wireless earphone can do better with their connection..

Then, today i went to local bose store asking this issue and their response is they dont fkin understand the problem at all.. the store reject to solve and giving solution and said better go to service center and leave the buds for repair with approx working time, 2 weeks. Yes 2 weeks, its even less than 24 hours I own this buds and i need to give it for 2 weeks repair?

In the end im asking to do refund, and their reaction its amazing since they said that “maybe” this overcost yet futuristic earphone is designed to listen a song not watching video or tv (?!) such a magic bose creating earphone like this..

Can you really fix this issue? Or only answering all complaints with a template response?

Thanks
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 30, 2018

Same experience for me. Bose provided the replacement for the first one with justification that all the soundsport free earbauds which were manufactured in 2017 december  has this issue of audio lag. I recieved the replacement and it had the same manufacturing date...., still I did the firware update and all the usual troubleshoot which was recommended by Bose customer support.

Even after replacement the Issue is still there , and the worst part is that i am not able to return this product becuase I got it with reward points.

This is the second product I got from bose and customer support is trying to buy some time just by playing the usual game of replacement.

Firmware updated and not all helping.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2018

Just bought a pair in japan, Manufactured December 2017 also. 

Second day, tried video. Then obviously ended up here.

Why is Bose selling faulty goods, and putting the onus on the customer to return them.

Surely all headsets made during this period should be recalled. I spent a large amount of money for headphones that were crippled out of the box.

Really disappointed as I had saved hard for these.

Bose sort it out, you manufactured and shipped faulty goods. 

(Mine have been updated with the latest firmware)

Honestly gutted.. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 18, 2018

I'm fairly confident that this has nothing to do with a manufacturing defect. It seems like this is a hardware limitation due to the architecture they opted to go with - the phone transmits to the right earbud, the right earbud transmits to the left bear bud. There is some resultant delay.

Maybe they don't have enough processing power for the right bud to decode and transmit quick enough. It feels like they tried to fix the hardware shortcoming with the firmware update and failed. Has anybody had any luck playing audio from.lower bit rate sources? Maybe lower bit rate audio (less data to decode) might help with the audio lag?
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 26, 2018

*UPDATE - GETTING A REFUND*

Ok, so here is what I did to get a refund. This is going to be a lengthy post, but I think some of you will benefit from it.

Back in February, I purchased the SoundSport Free headphones from Best Buy. I noticed a problem as soon as I purchased them with regard to the lag, but I didn't do anything about it because I was busy with work, and I own the wireless Soundlink II headphones, and SoundSport Wireless headphones and they work fine with my computer. And, honestly, I thought the would be resolved with a software update.

Fast-forward about a month, and I decided I wanted to make my SoundSport Wireless headphones exclusively for working out, and I wanted to use the SoundSport Free headphones for watching stuff on my computer, phone, basically everyday stuff. This is when I discovered that no software update that I performed corrected the lag issue.

I called Bose, explained the problem, and they sent me a replacement pair. Easy enough.

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART

Once the new set arrived, I immediately tried them out. Still the same problem with the lag. I took them to the Bose store the next day and asked the guys there if there was a software update for them. They said they checked and made sure everything was up-to-date, so I knew that wasn't the problem.

The next day, I called Bose and asked them for a refund. At first, they indicated that I would have to return them to the original place I purchased them. **That's when I indicated that these were the headphones straight from the factory that I had received 2-3 days prior, and that they had the original headphones that I purchased from Best Buy. Therefore, they were responsible for this new pair I had that was defective. After a brief conversation, the customer service representative put me on the phone with the supervisor. After recapping what happened, she agreed that they would issue me a refund. They then emailed me the forms and UPS label I needed to send back in and indicated that the money would be returned to my card in 2-3 weeks.**

According to UPS tracking, my returned headphones should be arriving today. Hopefully, I'll see the refund within three weeks.

TL;DR: Ask Bose to send you a replacement set. Immediately turn around and say that the replacement set doesn't work (because they won't). Then ask for a refund because you can't return your original headphones to the original place of purchase.

Also, register your products. If you don't register your products, expect them to be a little suspect of you. It takes 2 seconds to do, so just do it. It helps you, and it helps them know you are legit.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 29, 2018

I bought my bose in Jakarta, Indonesia. And the store even told that this goods is in perfect condition. They are using their sample earphone from store to show that the earphone is not having any lag problem. Basically, they were trying to convince that im wrong in judging my bose has defect.

The store told me to leave my earphone to the service center for 2 weeks for software update. Meanwhile i could do it myself with my laptop in 10 mins?! Afterward they told me that any product which has been bought is refundable based on your policy. Come on bose.. your after market also ridiculous especially in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Im totally fine if you honestly made a statement that there is a fault or defect of the earphone and do recall or refund. But please we are your costumer that expecting perfection from bose big name......
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 23, 2018

The first great joy that the soundsport free have given me. I no longer suffer the delay in YouTube videos on my Samsung Note 8. My headphones were manufactured on January 10, 2018 in case this information is worth something. On the notebook's YouTube if there is a delay when connecting in stereo mode. When the right earphone is connected in mono, there is no delay, so I conclude that the subject is in the bluetooth transmitter.

Now let's go for the duration of the load base.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2018

This should be embarrassing for bose. After day 3 fully updated firmware. Still having issues both on Android and iOS. Delay in audio and even dropouts (even when close to device).

Please stop forcing the community to find work arounds to return and repair and acknowledge the issue correctly.

Will attempt to return mine today for a different make.

Sad times
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2018

Today I received the replacement headphones. When I had called Bose support with the lag issue, the rep had asked for my devices that I use and commented that Bose will run tests before sending me the replacement. The fact that I had to update the firmware tells me that they just sent me a pair from the stock, not necessarily the latest manufactured batch and no testing.

As expected the lag is still there. I think I am thinking of returning these.

BTW, where do I check the manufacture date?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2018

@GoldenBeardwrote:

@NikOnJava you can check through the BOSE connect app on your phone afaik.

On another note, please sign the recall petition.

Thank you for a quick reply. Will do.