Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgwhat1
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2020

SoundSport headphones auto powering ON when I disconnect from charge cable

Hi, 

Lately, when I detach my headphones from charging (I've always charged them via my computer, 2018 MacBook Air) they automatically turn ON and BlueTooth link to my computer, which is very annoying when my computer audio is already connected to a different BlueTooth speaker. I don't want them to power on automatically at all. This sort of just started happening out of the blue. Any solutions out there? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: SoundSport headphones auto powering ON when I disconnect from charge cable

Author Accepted Answer selected by jgwhat1

Thanks for confirming that!

have you ever noticed them turning on and connecting to any other Bluetooth devices or is it always the computer?

Also, if you were to turn off the Bluetooth on your Mac, would the headphones still turn on automatically?

What I would recommend doing to start with is clearing the pairing between the Mac and the headphones and then reconnecting them. To do this on the headphones, what you will want to do is turn the headphones off, then press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button for 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared." You will also want to forget the headphones from the Mac's Bluetooth settings before reconnecting them.

Let me know how this goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi jgwhat1,

Welcome to the community, thanks for joining us!

So I can provide you with the most accurate information, could you please let me know which model of SoundSport headphones you have? If you are unsure you can double-check this with our Product Identifier.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
jgwhat1
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2020

Thank you, they're the SoundSport wireless headphones. 

Keith_L
Community Manager

Author Accepted Answer selected by jgwhat1

Thanks for confirming that!

have you ever noticed them turning on and connecting to any other Bluetooth devices or is it always the computer?

Also, if you were to turn off the Bluetooth on your Mac, would the headphones still turn on automatically?

What I would recommend doing to start with is clearing the pairing between the Mac and the headphones and then reconnecting them. To do this on the headphones, what you will want to do is turn the headphones off, then press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button for 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared." You will also want to forget the headphones from the Mac's Bluetooth settings before reconnecting them.

Let me know how this goes!

View solution in original post

jgwhat1
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2020

-- only the computer

-- I tried with Bluetooth on my Mac off, and the headphones did not turn on. 

-- I cleared device list and the headphones from my Mac Bluetooth - and that seems to be the solution, at least so far. The headphones did not turn on automatically like they were before.

Thanks for the help!

jgwhat1
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2020

I spoke too soon.... 

Tried it again a few minutes later and the same problem happened :((

jgwhat1
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2020

This seems to be relevant - the problem is only happening when my Mac is already connected to and playing music over a different Bluetooth device, a speaker. 

I tried turning the speaker off (where the audio was coming in through the Mac speakers), then detached the headphones from the charge cable and they did NOT turn on. 

Vicky_W

@jgwhat1, the SoundSport headphones use a Bluetooth connection called BLE. Which means that they can be activated by a Bluetooth connection. I think that is what is happening here. The Mac will be turning the headphones on once discovered. I would reach out to Apple for further support on how to stop this.