Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 10, 2019

Soundsport Free Bluetooth Interference While At the Gym

I've seen a lot of posts over the last year on forums and Bose Community Support about issues with the left bud consistently disconnecting. My specific variant of this issue happens only when I'm at the gym. The buds works fine when I run alone oustide or in the parking lot or on a plane. At the gym however, they work about as good as a portable CD player that skips every 5 seconds. I have tried resetting the headphones as well as clearing the memory and re-pairing to my device and the issue is not better.

Most other threads point the customer to their local Bose support for assistance but my headphones are barely outside of the very limited one year warranty that came with the headphones, so that is a dead end for me.

If other people are having this same issue, please leave a comment and let me know if you have found a solution and if you are having a similar issue while at the gym. I'd also be curious to hear if anyone has had success with Bose Support regarding this widespread issue.

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted

Re: Soundsport Free Bluetooth Interference While At the Gym

Hello I3rklyn,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some problems with your SoundSport Free wireless headphones.

In addition to the steps you mentioned, I would also recommend ensuring that the headphones are running the latest available firmware version. This can be done by visiting btu.bose.com on your computer and following the instructions. Additionally, make sure that your device's operating system is also up to date. 

Let me know if this makes an improvement for you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 10, 2019

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for the response. I did recently update the product to the latest firmware. My phone is also up to date. Are you familiar with the issue of users having issues with interference while in crowded places like a gym?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi there @I3rklyn and thanks for getting back in touch.

Thank you for ensuring that the headphones are already up to date, and i'm sorry to hear that this is ongoing.

It's interesting that you note here that this only occurs in places where there may be a large level of interference, be it from other Bluetooth users, or from the gym equipment that may also be using Bluetooth signals as well. This definitely leads me to think that there's an interference going on here as you suggested!

Although interference is sometimes unavoidable, it'd be interesting to note if you experience this audio issue more or less when you're near a piece of gym equipment that also emits wireless signals.

Following that, I would be happy to see what else we can do for you in your setup(s). We have sent you a PM here as well, so please follow up when you can!

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

Liam W

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 26, 2019

Hello, my wife and I are also having the same issues when we are at the gym. All my equipment is also up to date date. Is this a common issue bc I see someone else is experiencing the same audio dropouts.

Highlighted

Hello patriot1309, 

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. Welcome to the Bose Community! 

As mentioned by Liam W, wireless interference is sometimes unavoidable. Does the issue only occur for you when the headphones are being used at the Gym? 

We certainly take all concerns seriously, but as of now, there are no 'known issues' as such noted against the SoundSport Free headphones. 

I'll look forward to your reply! 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 29, 2019

hi, I came here specifically to report this and it kind of fits in this thread.

I bought some Sport Frees 5 days ago, love the sound but had significant dropouts, always on the left, at seemingly random times. I went back to the shop, stood there with staff trying to reproduce it, then of course it didn't happen UNTIL I was standing looking around waiting for the staff member to come back.

Phone on the counter and turn my head to the right or hold phone in left hand and drop  it down to my left hip and the left ear sound would cut out 7 out of 10 times. As the right ear relays signal to the left this is obviously blockage/disruption of signal to the right 'master' OR maybe blockage of some locator signal from right to the phone (sorry I don't know the specifics of Bluetooth protocol).

Interestingly, leaving the store it was hard to reproduce this in the street....point being the store has a lot of extraneous bluetooth, wifi etc floating around and I think it's the COMBINATION of these 2 factors, the surrounding 'traffic' and the extra physical blockage/movement that trigger the weakness in the design. 

It was obvious even to the shop staff that it was fully reproducable, including the Bose branded onsite rep (it's a big Tokyo store).

I haven't been able to check but I 'd bet that random dropouts in the street/gym are tied to this combination of surrounding bluetooth traffic and phone/earpiece position /movement. 

Any likely updates that might address this or is it an 'impossible' fix given the hardware design?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 29, 2019

Fyi all software/firmware/ios is up to date.

Highlighted

Hi Charibancho, 

Thank you for taking the time to post to the Community!

This is a very interesting breakdown of the issue you are experiencing with dropouts. I think you could be right. There is also something called body block interference which is the natural interference your body gives off. 

At the moment we do not have anything in the pipeline for this issue, however, I have raised it to our development team for review. 

If anyone else in the community is experiencing the same issue, please chime in here! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 29, 2019

Thanks Jessie,

Sorry if I misunderstood your phrasing but I believe body block (or cross-body) interference is simply your body literally blocking the signal with its high water content as opposed to electrical interference your body emits.

(go to 'cross body interference')

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/signal-interference-issues-bluetooth-technology-58273.html

It does also seem that other bluetooth signals, wifi and many other devices and uses also potentially interfere.

(sony's bluetooth troubleshooting page)

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/wireless-headphones-bluetooth-headphones/wh-h910n/article...

Worth noting they also cover body interference.

So....in all honesty it does seem to be the perfect storm of electrical interference plus physical obstruction. At least having that information available somewhere might help some people understand and be able to mitigate the problem in some environments. The current Sport Free setup of receiving/transmitting from one side to the other undoubtedly reduces its ability to gather signal and I'm pretty sure if the hardware potentially supported receiving the master signal on both sides that it would do so. I'm guessing the decision to have it on the right was because most people are right-handed? Anyway, who knows but I'm sure the Bose engineering team worked all this out way quicker than my 5 minutes on Google.