Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Re: Soundsport Free doesn't match as an headset on Windows 10

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts here with the community.  

Firstly, I'd like to acknowledge the email that @rhfeldman23 received from our email support team.  This response was not an accurate representation of how Bose regards our customer's concerns.  We are always here to listen to your feedback and will follow up internally on that response.  

I also wanted to share a workaround that many users have reported success with. Has anyone tried using a Bluetooth adapter with their computer?  I have this one.  Using the adapter can help stabilize your computer's Bluetooth connection and would allow for your headphones to connect that way.  I hope that this helps you all and please continue to share your feedback with us.

Take care,

Shiloh_C 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 11, 2018

Shiloh C:

Although a Bluetooth adapter should work (I have one at school that I haven't tried yet), we should not be required to purchase one. When spending this amount of money on something, it should work out of the box.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

Hey, maybe Bose should provide all of us one of the Bluetooth adapters for free until they can resolve the issues with the ear buds. I am sure you can whip up a quick form we can put in our serial number and info and you can zip an adapter over to us. Seem like the lease Bose could do sense we all spent $250 for something that’s not working.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Re: SoundSport Free It only connects with "voice" but not with "sound"

Did this issue ever get resolved?  I am a new ownder esperiencing the same problem.

Obviously it is a problem with more than one user.  

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Re: SoundSport Free It only connects with "voice" but not with "sound"

@DerangedRepeater wrote:

I just sent the following email to Bose, I'll update here with what they respond with.

Hello,

I recently got the SoundSport Free headphones for Christmas, and am running into some issues when trying to connect them to my Surface Book running Windows 10. My laptop is currently running Windows 10 version 1709 (also known as the Fall Creators Update).

When I first connect my SSFs to the computer, they will show as connected for Sound and Voice. Going into Playback Devices confirms that both the Hands-Free and Stereo devices are connected and set as default. However, as soon as any audio plays, whether it be system sounds such as notifications, music, or otherwise, the Stereo device will show as disconnected under Playback devices, and sound will then come out of the computer speakers. Looking at the Bluetooth device list, the SSFs will only show as being connected for voice.

Once this happens, the only way to get them to connect for audio again is to put them in the case, close all applications that play sound, and then take them out of the case to reconnect. This does not solve the issue though, and they will continue to disconnected any time a sound is played.

There have been multiple threads on the Bose support forums regarding this issue, such as:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/Soundsport-Free-doesn-t-match-as-an-headset-on-Win...

or

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/SoundSport-Free-It-only-connects-with-quot-voice-q...

I have tried everything listed on those pages as solutions, but none of them worked. Furthermore, I have also tried manually adjusting the Bluetooth services, such as disabling HandsFree Telephony so it only connected using A2DP, but the Stereo device would still disconnect when sound was played.
In my Bluetooth settings, I have "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC" enabled, as I read that might cause issues if it wasn't.

I also would like the point out that I called Bose Technical Support twice, and both representatives dismissed the issue as something that Microsoft would have to resolve, without much troubleshooting done at all. I know this is not an issue on Microsoft's end, as other Bluetooth headphones that I've had never experienced this kind of issue. I was also told to ensure that my computer was up to date, which it was. I also confirmed that the SSFs were up to date through the website with the Bose Updater.

Screenshots of how the device connected can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/1E0AM

I can't say I'm not a little disappointed with how this situation is being handled on Bose's end at the moment. According to moderators on the forums and technicians over the phone, a pair of $300 headphones have a glaring issue with the most popular operating system, and blame is being shifted away from them. Due to this, there hasn't been any word of a fix in the form of a software update or at least at acknowledgement that this is an actual bug.

If there is any further troubleshooting that I could perform to get more information for you, I would be more than happy to do it.

Thanks,
Bryan

Did this issue ever get resolved?  I am a new ownder esperiencing the same problem.

Obviously it is a problem with more than one user.  

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Re: Soundsport Free Incompatability with Windows 10

Alex, Thanks for the reply.

Dude I didn't like tone of your message, very arrogant!!! Instead of helping customer in finding the root cause and providing the solution, you are telling your customer get lost. If you want the product then follow as we say else get lost, we are better company and we know what we are giving to you and you should use as we say and don’t ask any question.

Now tell me, where on the product it is written that it is not intended to use with Windows OS. Now that the product is not working so you are coming up with compatibility criteria. This is complete fault of Bose Product Design, Development and Testing team.

Bose should work with Microsoft and provide the solution.  

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Re: Soundsport Free Incompatability with Windows 10

Bose is not helping us but I guess we can help each other with whatever solution we found so far.

I could manage to make it working on Windows 10 but with one condition that after every disconnect you have to repeat the same steps again. If I find the solution for this problem, I will post, but until then you can use the following steps to at least to connect SoundSport Free with your laptop to enjoy crisp music .

• Press button on left side of the earbud for more than 10 sec until you hear “Bluetoothdevice list cleared”
  • Now go to your PC and open “Devices & Printer” by typing “devices” in windows search bar. It will open “Control Panel/Devices and Printer”
  • Find Bose headphone icon in the list and “Remove” by right clicking and choosing option “Remove”
  • Now go back to “Manage Bluetooth Devices” and make sure that SoundSport is not connected to paired. If you found then run remove.
  • Once removed “Restart your PC”
  • Once PC restarted. Note: Don’t turn on any music or videos on the PC at this moment.
  • Open Bluetooth control pannel and add your Bose SoundSport Free
  • Once connected go to action tray (right lower cornner) and find “Volume icon” -> right click and then open “Volume mixer”.
  • Once Volume mixer is opened, under devices you will find “Headphone (Name’s Bose SoundSPort Stereo), click on this to make it active.
  • Once again to back to action tray and find “Volume icon”->, right click and then click on “Sounds”
  • Once the Sound window is opened, click on Playback -> Look for Bose Headphone option (Not a Headset) -> select -> just below, on the main window click on “Set Default”.
  • Now turn on music or youtube. You should hear crisp sound in both earbuds.

You should be good until you get disconnect. If you get disconnected, then you have to repeat all above steps again, but its worth spending 10 min for such a wonderful earphone.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Alex @ Bose,

Dude I didn't like tone of your message, very arrogant!!! Instead of helping customer in finding the root cause and providing the solution, you are telling your customer get lost. If you want the product then follow as we say else get lost, we are better company and we know what we are giving to you and you should use as we say and don’t ask any question.

Now tell me, where on the product it is written that it is not intended to use with Windows OS. Now that the product is not working so you are coming up with compatibility criteria. This is complete fault of Bose Product Design, Development and Testing team.

Bose should work with Microsoft and provide the solution.  

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Shiloh_c

Please talk to your upper management that everyone who bought this product has a common problem with no solution from Bose.

All the customer who bought this product should be compensated for not meeting product expectation as advertized or Bose should work Mircrosoft to provide the solution.

No BS!! anymore please. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Bose is not helping us but I guess we can help each other with whatever solution we found so far.

I could manage to make it working on Windows 10 but with one condition that after every disconnect you have to repeat the same steps again. If I find the solution for this problem, I will post, but until then you can use the following steps to at least to connect SoundSport Free with your laptop to enjoy crisp music .

• Press button on left side of the earbud for more than 10 sec until you hear “Bluetoothdevice list cleared”
  • Now go to your PC and open “Devices & Printer” by typing “devices” in windows search bar. It will open “Control Panel/Devices and Printer”
  • Find Bose headphone icon in the list and “Remove” by right clicking and choosing option “Remove”
  • Now go back to “Manage Bluetooth Devices” and make sure that SoundSport is not connected to paired. If you found then run remove.
  • Once removed “Restart your PC”
  • Once PC restarted. Note: Don’t turn on any music or videos on the PC at this moment.
  • Open Bluetooth control pannel and add your Bose SoundSport Free
  • Once connected go to action tray (right lower cornner) and find “Volume icon” -> right click and then open “Volume mixer”.
  • Once Volume mixer is opened, under devices you will find “Headphone (Name’s Bose SoundSPort Stereo), click on this to make it active.
  • Once again to back to action tray and find “Volume icon”->, right click and then click on “Sounds”
  • Once the Sound window is opened, click on Playback -> Look for Bose Headphone option (Not a Headset) -> select -> just below, on the main window click on “Set Default”.
  • Now turn on music or youtube. You should hear crisp sound in both earbuds.

You should be good until you get disconnect. If you get disconnected, then you might have to repeat all above steps again, but its worth spending 10 min for such a wonderful voice from these earphones.