Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Re: Soundsport Free Right Ear Bud Doesn’t Charge

I've searched all over the internet for this and how to reset the earbuds but nothing has worked. I've also tried to update the firmware, removing all devices from the earphones, forgetting the earphones from all devices and reconnecting, and the issue still persists. Here are the symptoms. 

• The right earbud drains in about 30 minutes playing audio at about 50% volume. After getting the low battery tone, the right earbud only lasts about 2-3 minutes before shutting down.
  • I left them on overnight playing no audio and they were still on with about 40% battery left.
  • When I place it in the charging case, it gets fully charged in about 2-3 minutes, maybe less. The LED on the charging case stops blinking and turns solid. When I turn them on, the voice says "Fully Charged" and the Bose app shows it's at 100%. Regardless of this, it doesn't matter how long I leave them charging. I've left them charging over night and they still drain quickly.
  • The left earbud seems to be fine but I can't test it because the right earbud goes out so quickly, and the left earbud relies on the right one to connect and stay powered on.
  • When I'm in a call, or when the microphone is activated, I was actually able to stay on a call for well over 40 minutes.

These symptoms have only started happening suddenly, maybe in the past week. A few weeks ago I was able to get much longer than 30 minutes out of these. 

I got them in the winter of 2019.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 19, 2019

Exactly the problem I am having. Very short playback time. You get a warning and a minute later they shut off. Return them to the case and they indicate that they are fully charged in about 5 minutes. I just charge the right bud and when it finishes, the left will continue to play through 4 or 5 of these charging cycles (regular battery life) It appears to just be a problem with the right bud. I have posted the same thing, but have not gotten a response. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 10, 2020

The WD-40 suggestion worked nicely for me. I tried a bit on a paper towel as suggested, rubbed in to the contacts on my right earbud and tested in the charging dock, increasing the amount of WD-40 (but not spraying the earbud directly!) until it eventually worked. I had a very sweaty workout a few weeks ago and it started acting up shortly after so the previous post probably nailed it on the head in terms of a sticking contact. Thanks a lot for your post.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 22, 2020

I had a similar issue with the right earbud failing to charge in the case. It took me a while to figure out what was going on because it would just play a descending series of 4 tones and nothing else. Turns out that's the "low battery" tone. That would be useful to have in the manual or findable anywhere.

Anyway, I soaked a cotton ball with isopropyl alcohol and cleaned the living daylights out of both the case and the earbud connectors. They looked like clean contacts before but the color of the cotton ball afterwards told me the story.

Before giving up, try giving the contacts on both sides (earbuds and case) a very thorough cleaning.

It worked for me!